Dustin Byfuglien Throws 6 Punches At AJ Greer While Down

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
i still have a hard time understanding the narrative that Greer "went after wheeler". Greer does play an edgey game but at no time did he do anything that was out of line or over the edge.

Reactions: cgf

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I didn’t watch this one, but it looked to me like Wheeler was throwing a few extra shots a at Greer early in the clip too. I’m not really seeing the angle that Greer was picking on a poor defenseless Wheeler. Buff steps in. Greer drops the gloves without hesitation. Buff falls down .5 seconds into the fight. That should have ended it, but Buff threw a few more punches. He got penalized for it. The end.

I don’t see how any of it was particularly noteworthy.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA

I love Wendel...and I love what he did here.

And you know what else? Bob Brooke was fine. He was fine because he's not made of tissue paper like some of the posters in this thread. But he certainly didn't pick fights with Wendel again.

Message sent.

Come at me bro.

pos move in my book. end of ****ing story. bro.

Reactions: bennylundholm

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
i still have a hard time understanding the narrative that Greer "went after wheeler". Greer does play an edgey game but at no time did he do anything that was out of line or over the edge.
Greer did not do anything wrong.
It’s hockey and emotions run high.
Buff simply took matters into his own hands and Greer got roughed up a bit.
Not sure why anyone is upset.
If Buff really wants to hurt Greer he would have.
It was a message sent with some extra drama.
I doubt Greer was offended.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If there had been a suspension, I would be the first to accept the experts decision. But I'm sure there will be many on here, who don't get it, continue to argue against it.

Whether a suspension is handed out or not is irrelevant to if one should have been handed out or not. The league is fickle about these things and enforces every play and rule differently, even if the actions taken and outcome are similar or the same. I can think of numerous plays Avs have been suspended for that other teams haven't when playing the Avs. I'm sure fans of other teams can do the same.

The real problem here is that if players have this sense of justice that they need to lay into someone to try and prevent future events someone will eventually get significantly hurt. When Bertuzzi sent a message it ended Moore's career. If Buff sent a message that ended up causing Greer's head to slam into the ice while down it could have had a drastically different result for both players. I'm sure Buff would have been pissed if he squared off with someone and they kept punching him when he was down on the ice.

In my opinion the best way to pay someone back is to lay a clean hit on them so they feel it.

Plickspect

Jan 21, 2016
Yes it is

Maybe 40 years ago, but not anymore.

You should get your head checked, buddy. You may have a screw loose judging by how vehemently you're defending a gutless action.

Edit: As well as many others in this thread. Now I remember why I stopped coming here, nothing but braindead hot takes.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Why is this still a thing? Byfuglien is playing tonight. Greer is in the AHL.
IKR
dustin-byfuglien.jpg

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Because their level of ability and what league they play in makes it okay or not okay to punch a guy multiple times while he is defenseless.

Okay buddy.
no rule that says you cant punch someone that is down on the ice and defenceless thus no suspension and not even a fine. you cant knee him but you can punch him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
lol, you can see the moment when Buff realizes what a fool he's gunna look like as he flies through the air onto his ass; at which point he just snaps and losses all cognitive function. It's a shame things like this keep happening with Buff, cause he's extremely likeable when he's not doing something reckless like this.

That said, it was great to see AJ's getting under teams' skin already. He didn't even do anything in this sequence other than give Wheeler back the shove that Wheeler gives him at the start of the clip; and that was apparently enough for Buff to be ready to lose his damn mind and get himself kicked out of the game. I'm giddy just imagining what a great antagonist Greer's going to be in a few years...it's been a hot minute since we've had someone this good at rustling jimmies.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
lol, you can see the moment when Buff realizes what a fool he's gunna look like as he flies through the air onto his ass; at which point he just snaps and losses all cognitive function. It's a shame things like this keep happening with Buff, cause he's extremely likeable when he's not doing something reckless like this.

That said, it was great to see AJ's getting under teams' skin already. He didn't even do anything in this sequence other than give Wheeler back the shove that Wheeler gives him at the start of the clip; and that was apparently enough for Buff to be ready to lose his damn mind and get himself kicked out of the game. I'm giddy just imagining what a great antagonist Greer's going to be in a few years...it's been a hot minute since we've had someone this good at rustling jimmies.
Jets beat Avs on the scoreboard and physically. End of story. No suspension. You guys are made of paper.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
What about the part of the code about not following a star player around the ice committing 3 or 4 stick infractions in 20 seconds when the game is out of hand? Greer for Lady Byng amirite?
Exactly! Either Greer is really brave or really stupid or a bit of both. He got what he deserved. Cases like this have happened forever. Avs fans don't get it.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Wheeler was giving as much as he was taking, you watch the video?
I can' t believe what is so hard for you to figure out? If a Jets fourth line rookie went after Mackinnon, I would not expect Mackinnon to fight him. He's more useful on the ice. An Avs tough guy would grab him. The NHL has had enforcers like this for ages, obviously you don't follow hockey.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Jets beat Avs on the scoreboard and physically. End of story. No suspension. You guys are made of paper.

A young team coming off a historically bad season lost to one of the league's top teams without their Hart-candidate? Crazy talk.

I hope no av ever does something this grossly negligent to another player...but it would certainly be funny to read some of these Jets' fans' reactions if EJ decided to send a message in the next Jets-Avs game by pounding on the skull of Scheifele while two refs held him down for EJ.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad