Dustin Byfuglien Throws 6 Punches At AJ Greer While Down

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I don't see Wheeler passing on anything in that video. He skated away from a shove in the back, not a guy dropping the gloves.
Correct, you don't see anything. Greer had slashed him and challenged him earlier. Expect payback when you do that to a captain.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Being physical with another player does not equal "grabbing them and dropping the gloves". Peg fans vehemently arguing in here could at least have a little bit of intellectual honesty when discussing what happened prior to the fight.

And yada yada Avs fans just upset about getting blown out. Dudes - we got blown out last season by the entire league for 82 games. It's the last thing that would get us riled up. A lot of us are shocked that we're even sniffing a playoff spot right now.
When a fourth line rookie slashes and challenges the other team's captain and top player to fight, expect to be taught a lesson by anyone and everyone on the other team. Has always been that way in hockey. He crossed the line, shown no mercy. You don't get it.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Hooking/tapping someone is not the same as trying to GOAD someone into a fight. Or is the Jets team just that sensitive that they can't even handle a dropped challenge of a fight (if that's even what he did, which you cannot prove)? Greer skated away from Wheeler after he crosschecked him. Doesn't seem like what you'd do if you were really trying to fight someone.

Then what are these false equivalencies my friend?
State the truth, buddy. Wasn't hooking and tapping. lol

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
You keep using that term and I'm not sure you know what it means lol. Again if you think what Greer did is bush league take a break from hockey and take up the Olympics for a bit. Hockey is a physical sport.
Obviously, you haven't played hockey or simply don't get what happens. Greer wanted something physical, he was taught a lesson.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
When a fourth line rookie slashes and challenges the other team's captain and top player to fight, expect to be taught a lesson by anyone and everyone on the other team. Has always been that way in hockey. He crossed the line, shown no mercy. You don't get it.
This is one thing I forgot about when talking about players respecting the "code". Challenge the other team's tough guy to a fight not their best player. Expect your challenge to be met by the tough guy if you choose the latter.

To be fair, I think Buff crossed the line in this fight.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Byfuglien has never displayed an ounce of class on the ice. Why are we surprised?

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Wait so now Greer is the one who crossed the line? lmfao
Yes, he went after the Jets captain and top player. If you have watched hockey, this has happened in the past, and then guys like Semenko, Gillies, O'Reilly, Probert, Domi, etc have tuned them in. Buff tuned in Greer this time.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Wait so now Greer is the one who crossed the line? lmfao
I'm not saying he crossed the line but he challenged the other team's best player to a fight and a teammate took up,the challenge.
If Mackinnon was challenged to,fight by a rookie would you not expect a teammate to come to his defence?
The "code" is you challenge the teams tough guy not their best players.

Reactions: bennylundholm

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Even if Greer challenged Wheeler, he didn't force the issue, he let Wheeler skate away from their altercation at the boards. I've seen plenty of times where pugilists simply dropped 'em and grabbed their target. This was not the case at all. I mean for all we know, Greer didn't even challenge him. He had both hands on his stick the entire shift. Winnipeg might be the most sensitive team in the league hahaha

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I'm not saying he crossed the line but he challenged the other team's best player to a fight and a teammate took up,the challenge.
If Mackinnon was challenged to,fight by a rookie would you not expect a teammate to come to his defence?
The "code" is you challenge the teams tough guy not their best players.
Exactly! Those on here calling Wheeler soft or Jets fans sensitive just don't understand hockey. You never saw Gretzky, Yzerman, Sakic, etc drop the gloves when challenged. A teammate tuned them in as they were needed on the ice to score. And, they were hardly challenged as most respected that code. Greer didn't, and was tuned in by Buff.

Reactions: Jets 31

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm not sure, considering I've never seen such an incident occur where someone challenged him and he declined. In fact, that rarely gets talked about. It's not against the rules for a player to challenge an opponent sharing the same ice to a fight, regardless of stats. MacKinnon has fought plugs before. Just ask Josh Archibald. Hell, MacKinnon tried to fight Rinaldo. He's no Wheeler

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Exactly! Those on here calling Wheeler soft or Jets fans sensitive just don't understand hockey. You never saw Gretzky, Yzerman, Sakic, etc drop the gloves when challenged. A teammate tuned them in as they were needed on the ice to score. And, they were hardly challenged as most respected that code. Greer didn't, and was tuned in by Buff.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Even if Greer challenged Wheeler, he didn't force the issue, he let Wheeler skate away from their altercation at the boards. I've seen plenty of times where pugilists simply dropped 'em and grabbed their target. This was not the case at all. I mean for all we know, Greer didn't even challenge him. He had both hands on his stick the entire shift. Winnipeg might be the most sensitive team in the league hahaha
I'm not sure I agree. Greer skated back towards Wheeler after wheeler moved to the centre ice red line. I can't say what his intent was but Buff seemed to interpret that as going back after Wheeler and he intercepted him and dropped the gloves. None of us were on the ice and know what was said between any of the participants, but to say Greer intended to drop the whole thing isn't proven either.

Reactions: bennylundholm

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Just checking to see if this was the biggest fine or suspension ever levied by the league.
Can someone fill in the blanks on this ?
How many games did Buff get?
Fine?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If you can't understand Buff standing up for another player,the teams best player, then I can't help you. Greer was willing to fight Wheeler but not Buff? Buff didn't jump him.

Now to be fair, Buff crossed the line in the fight.

Probelm is that little shove and tap off the faceoff doesn't qualify as a need to stick up for a teammate, and what Buff did went way above and beyond sticking up for a teammate. Buff does worse than what Greer did almost every single game.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
How dare I be disgusted that Greer, regardless of his skill as a player (which is more than most of you probably think), got punched repeatedly while being held down by 2 refs. Buff should have just decapitated him for daring to touch the golden god Wheeler, who should not be touched by anyone scoring less than a point per game.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm not sure I agree. Greer skated back towards Wheeler after wheeler moved to the centre ice red line. I can't say what his intent was but Buff seemed to interpret that as going back after Wheeler and he intercepted him and dropped the gloves. None of us were on the ice and know what was said between any of the participants, but to say Greer intended to drop the whole thing isn't proven either.
Perhaps that's his man to defend? Or is he not allowed to even go NEAR Wheeler?

Wheeler: more protected than Gretzky himself

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
How dare I be disgusted that Greer, regardless of his skill as a player (which is more than most of you probably think), got punched repeatedly while being held down by 2 refs. Buff should have just decapitated him for daring to touch the golden god Wheeler, who should not be touched by anyone scoring less than a point per game.
Now you're being disingenuous. Buff did cross the line. Greer challenged Wheeler to a fight right from the face off after the goal and Buff took up the challenge defending his team's best player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad