Dustin Byfuglien Throws 6 Punches At AJ Greer While Down

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes, and Wheeler was not the aggressor. Buff probably threw a punch or two too many but he doesn’t have to teach him a lesson if Greer step over the line in his own way in a blowout.

...so are you arguing that because of the score Greer should've just let Wheeler shove him without giving him a shove back? Cause I'm failing to follow the "logic" that you lot are trying to use to defend this obviously indefensible lapse in sanity.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I can' t believe what is so hard for you to figure out? If a Jets fourth line rookie went after Mackinnon, I would not expect Mackinnon to fight him. He's more useful on the ice. An Avs tough guy would grab him. The NHL has had enforcers like this for ages, obviously you don't follow hockey.
You're missing the point entirely. I've said MULTIPLE TIMES that it's fine that Buff fought him. Greer obviously didn't mind either because he immediately dropped the gloves. It's the punching while being held down that I care about. It's not the same thing as Greer and Wheeler getting physical with each other within the hockey play that is going on.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I can' t believe what is so hard for you to figure out? If a Jets fourth line rookie went after Mackinnon, I would not expect Mackinnon to fight him. He's more useful on the ice. An Avs tough guy would grab him. The NHL has had enforcers like this for ages, obviously you don't follow hockey.

If MacK started s*** with a rookie 4th liner, I sure would hope that he wouldn't run and hide behind EJ & Zads like a terrified little kitten :dunno:

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
Just gonna make me laugh even harder if you do this lol

What a silly thing to say about Greer/Bednar too. You obviously have zero understanding of his situation so why try to act like you do?

Where is Greer now? Are you still laughing? What don’t I understand?

For the record. I’m not defending buff. I’m against a coach sending a kid with seconds left in the period to “stir things up” with a 4-0 score.

Refs should have called a penalty before the puck dropped to defuse the situation. Give Wheeler and Greer 2 minutes each.

I’m thinking how a mother would feel about a coach sending her kid in those situation. No money is worth that.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Where is Greer now? Are you still laughing? What don’t I understand?

For the record. I’m not defending buff. I’m against a coach sending a kid with seconds left in the period to “stir things up” with a 4-0 score.

Refs should have called a penalty before the puck dropped to defuse the situation. Give Wheeler and Greer 2 minutes each.

I’m thinking how a mother would feel about a coach sending her kid in those situation. No money is worth that.
Greer got reassigned because MacKinnon is back and Greer needs icetime.

Again, this game was played in Winnipeg. Your coach has last change. This isn't on Bednar

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Poor defenceless Greer who started the whole thing.
Get a grip. Back to the Olympics for you.

dude, watch olympics before you talk. nhl is not more physical than the olympics, i watch both nhl and the olympics. nhl has gone soft this years.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I didn't watch the replay again before I found this thread. But didn't the Avs plug give Wheeler a couple cross checks off the face off and then the rest happens 10 secs later?

Like the dude tries to start a fight with a captain losing 4-0 and people are upset he took a cheap shot? Go pick on a softer team willing to put up with that shit.

Sorry but as a Jets fan this is the perfect amount of sticking up for each other and giving a bully what he was asking for. Even dirtier tactics from a bigger bully.

The OP creating this is understandable but he sure is crying a lot of tears for a guy no one knows :laugh:

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
...so are you arguing that because of the score Greer should've just let Wheeler shove him without giving him a shove back? Cause I'm failing to follow the "logic" that you lot are trying to use to defend this obviously indefensible lapse in sanity.

It’s the stick swinging that gets Greer in trouble. Greer doesn’t have the equity in the NHL to antagonize and get away with it quite yet. If you guys still had McLeod and he was doing it I’d definitely have less of a problem.

Reactions: cgf

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Who cares?

Buff did what he had to do

Greer shouldn't act so tough

I don’t think this is a particularly big deal, but where exactly is the line for “what he had to do.” Illegal plays are illegal plays. “Acting tough” doesn’t give the right to any type of justice an opposing player feels necessary. I don’t see why this should get a pass but a sucker punch or a two handed slash wouldn’t. A defenseless player is a defenseless player. Take your shots while you’re both vertical and locked in. Once you hit the ice, it’s over, like it always has been. It wasn’t en egregious infraction, but still an infraction.

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
Greer got reassigned because MacKinnon is back and Greer needs icetime.

Again, this game was played in Winnipeg. Your coach has last change. This isn't on Bednar

Wpg coach did not want to send his goon. Hendricks just came back from getting checked in the head from previous game. (CAPS player got fined for his hit)

By sending his 1st line, Maurice was sending a message that it was nonsense.

But Greer didn’t relent. So Bednar got the situation he wanted. But not the end result.

I don’t like these situations. No matter which team. If players can’t get up for a game without having a fight to break out, then maybe they deserve to lose that game or not be in the NHL.

Reactions: Johnny HFBOARDS

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
What Buff did was cheap, but acceptable. I wouldn’t be mad if Landeskog did the same thing if Hendricks was getting in MacKinnon’s face.

As a born and raised Winnipeger, it was embarrassing hearing fans in the rink tonight thinking Byfuglien “whooped his ass” or “fed him.”

There is and has always been a code in hockey you don’t punch someone when they’re on the ice. The refs penalized accordingly. Let’s move on without trying to make Wheeler or Greer a victim, or Byfuglien to be some sort of tough guy.

This would be thread worthy if Byfuglien didn’t get 12 extra minutes in the box.

Truth, well said.

Reactions: BrokerD

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
A young team coming off a historically bad season lost to one of the league's top teams without their Hart-candidate? Crazy talk.

I hope no av ever does something this grossly negligent to another player...but it would certainly be funny to read some of these Jets' fans' reactions if EJ decided to send a message in the next Jets-Avs game by pounding on the skull of Scheifele while two refs held him down for EJ.

Dude it's not going to happen and no Jets fans are worried about your team's toughness. They were put in their place just fine. If someone wants a piece of Buff good luck

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm done replying in this thread, feels like I've made the same argument about 15 times and it's just not getting through some pretty thick skulls. The fight was fair punishment for the whacking between Wheeler and Greer. But Buff fell on his ass immediately in the fight, probably felt embarrassed that he couldn't send his message, got mad, and crossed the line. That's it. I'm not even terribly upset he didn't get a suspension. Let's just agree to disagree I guess. I won't be responding in this thread anymore. Don't @ me.

Randal61

Jan 12, 2014
dude, watch olympics before you talk. nhl is not more physical than the olympics, i watch both nhl and the olympics. nhl has gone soft this years.

[mod] You joking, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
[mod] You joking, right?

In what way is NHL as physical today as it was in the 90s or 2000-2008?

I watch both NHL and euro hockey, i dont see how NHL is more physical anymore. Not delusional, you dont even watch euro hockey so how can you know you are right? you are making your statements based on sterotypes...while i am actually watching games from both sides and can compare....

Last edited by a moderator:

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I'm done replying in this thread, feels like I've made the same argument about 15 times and it's just not getting through some pretty thick skulls. The fight was fair punishment for the whacking between Wheeler and Greer. But Buff fell on his ass immediately in the fight, probably felt embarrassed that he couldn't send his message, got mad, and crossed the line. That's it. I'm not even terribly upset he didn't get a suspension. Let's just agree to disagree I guess. I won't be responding in this thread anymore. Don't @ me.
Greer challenging Wheeler crossed the line and showed no respect. Buff taught Greer a lesson and was not going to stop punching when Greer turtled. If Greer had challenged a Jets fourth liner of Buff and then had dropped to the ice, different story, no punches likely thrown. This is not anything new in hockey history when a rookie goes after a top player.
@mangyMeowth

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Greer challenging Wheeler crossed the line and showed no respect. Buff taught Greer a lesson and was not going to stop punching when Greer turtled. If Greer had challenged a Jets fourth liner of Buff and then had dropped to the ice, different story, no punches likely thrown. This is not anything new in hockey history when a rookie goes after a top player.
@mangyMeowth

I see we're at the point where we change the definition of words to suit our narratives, good to know. :laugh:

This is just getting sad. There's like a dozen of these numskull Jets fans tarnishing people's view of an otherwise pretty knowledgeable and respectful fanbase in this thread.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
I don’t think this is a particularly big deal, but where exactly is the line for “what he had to do.” Illegal plays are illegal plays. “Acting tough” doesn’t give the right to any type of justice an opposing player feels necessary. I don’t see why this should get a pass but a sucker punch or a two handed slash wouldn’t. A defenseless player is a defenseless player. Take your shots while you’re both vertical and locked in. Once you hit the ice, it’s over, like it always has been. It wasn’t en egregious infraction, but still an infraction.

and Buff sat for 17 minutes as he should. Everybody seemed okay with the situation and punishment.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Reversed perception: No Jets instigate a fight there after. This season.

If you want a target, pick Buff or someone of the 4th Line, if you follow the code.

Everybody in Jets will fight nevertheless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad