Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Please be ready to play now Buff , i like our Jets so much more when Big Buff is in the lineup .
I like our Jets with a Morrissey-Buff pairing.

Buff with others, not so much. Though that may be more about our LHD situation, than it is about Buff.

Still holding out hope for a Hjalmarsson-Buff / Morrissey-Trouba or Hjalmarsson-Trouba / Morrissey-Buff top 4 in the playoffs.

Reactions: ps241

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
I think a lot of people disregard or underrate the one indisputable factor that Buff brings to the table (beyond offensive/defensive capabilities), which is intimidation and sheer physical presence on the ice. While I'm not going to outright say that Scheifele's injury wouldn't have happened with Bufyglien on the ice, I do think that the frequence of the other team taking shots at the Jets' top players is decreased whenever you add Buff to the equation.

Does he fight a lot? Nope. But does anyone want to rile up Buff and entertain the chance of him targeting you for a whole evening? Hell no. Buff's hits have reached legendary status.

Jets without Buff doesn't have enough of a physical presence on the ice, in my view. With Buff, a lot of those problems are solved.

Bufyglien is no longer the young lion that needs to prove himself by hitting everybody, every time that he is on the ice. He is the lion king that shuts up the pack of hyenas with his presence alone, at this point. His track record is proven.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like our Jets with a Morrissey-Buff pairing.

Buff with others, not so much. Though that may be more about our LHD situation, than it is about Buff.

Still holding out hope for a Hjalmarsson-Buff / Morrissey-Trouba or Hjalmarsson-Trouba / Morrissey-Buff top 4 in the playoffs.

I would really like to see Buff with Kulikov for an extended period as I think that would be a pretty complimentary pair. But I think Kulikov has done a nice job masking Myers deficiencies in the dzone.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I would really like to see Buff with Kulikov for an extended period as I think that would be a pretty complimentary pair. But I think Kulikov has done a nice job masking Myers deficiencies in the dzone.
Not sure if Orr could do that...

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Buff is probably our best defenseman, especially if you figure in his physical abilities. What would the Jets be like over the long term without a guy like Buff ? A lot of teams would continually be roughing up our smaller stars--like Ehlers and Connor.

I don't understand why posters are suggesting trading Buff ?? the Jet's need him. He's a great skater, and has a great shot. He's also good in the defensive zone. He also adds a lot of points, as he can score, both with assists, and goals.

I'd say we keep Buff--we need his physical presence.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Say what you will about Buff, but he is regarded as a superstar around the league and he was really the first star player that firmly planted the flag in Winnipeg and said I want to stay here long term. He was coveted by other teams and had his pick of the litter of where he could have gone as a free agent but decided to stay. That's had a trickle down effect with the emerging young stars like Scheifele and Ehlers, and hopefully Laine. That counts a lot for me.

I know Wheeler, Ladd and Little signed contracts with Winnipeg before that, but none of them were highly coveted "star" players at that point. To us they were, but I remember a lot of press back in the early days saying the first line would be a second or third line on an actual good team etc etc. Wheeler is viewed as star now but it took him awhile to get there, Little will probably never shake that "underrated center" tag that he has. Ladd is Ladd.

So thanks Buff and hurry back, I would have love to see you slam Davidson into the boards on Sunday. Maybe next season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Is anyone else worried about revisiting the Chiarot-Buff pairing when Buff is back?

5v5 (via Corisca):

Chiarot-Buff: RelCF% -1.26, RelGF% -9.81, RelxGF% -8.01, PenD -5

Chiarot and Poolman have been better, with easier usage. My concern is that Buff and Chiarot will be paired and given tougher assignments, which they won't handle very well.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Is anyone else worried about revisiting the Chiarot-Buff pairing when Buff is back?

5v5 (via Corisca):

Chiarot and Poolman have been better, with easier usage. My concern is that Buff and Chiarot will be paired and given tougher assignments, which they won't handle very well.

Well lets hope Toby is also back soon. I think both have started skating.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
According to Maurice Buff will be back before Enstrom. I think we are going to see a Chiarot-Buff pairing, unfortunately. Problem is that Buff will likely be rusty and playing with Buff Chiarot will get more time and tougher match-ups than he probably should.

Reactions: Duke749

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

5v5 (via Corisca):

I'm really worried that PoMo will continue the madness to play Chiarot instead of Poolman when one of the better injured defencemen are back. It really doesn't matter who you are going to play Chiarot with, he won't be better than Poolman, though his handedness makes it easier for him to play LD.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Can someone confirm this? Sounds really great particularly as they both suffered from lower body injuries, AFAIK.

Just imagine the possibility for Jets hitting the playoffs with no injuries. If that happens, Jets will be one of the top contenders.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
According to Maurice Buff will be back before Enstrom. I think we are going to see a Chiarot-Buff pairing, unfortunately. Problem is that Buff will likely be rusty and playing with Buff Chiarot will get more time and tougher match-ups than he probably should.
It is likely, but then again, Maurice did give Perreault a lesser workload right after coming back from his injury, so the concept shouldn't be impossible for him to grasp. Moreover, he seems to trust Myers to play a lot, and Trouba is able to log big minutes too. I'd imagine that Buff will be eased into the action.

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
During injury of "what the buff" Jets have made huge steps forward as a team. Right now they are Stanley cup contender for the year 2018. Everything will change as soon as "looking for his first goal of the season" comes back.

Here is forecast after return:

Number one power play won't have success getting puck to offensive zone and will have problem getting power play working and settled down.

Defensive zone Jets will have times when it seems that everybody is late from puck and everybody is unsure of who to cover, except one guy who have no worries while he is surfing around.

First, second, third and fourth line will have problems in offensive zone with trying to keep forecheck going, because they cant do it as three man unit with support of two defenseman because one guy decides to take over the situation.

Jets won't be team that can win with just scoring 1-2 goals.

In neutral zone forwards cant be aggressive, because they have to look for covering "the guy" who have had an idea.

He wont score one handed wrap around, but he will try.

He is best man in NHL pointing the puck when it out of play.

Jets will lose in playoffs because of him. In playoffs teams that can avoid mistakes will win. #33 middle name is mistake.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think when Buff comes back, we see a large helping of "Good Buff". IMO he will want to be a big part of things and buy into the game plan. Back in 14-15 and we were on the way to the playoffs he was outstanding. That's the player I expect to see the back half of this season.

Reactions: GNP and YWGinYYZ

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Is he rockin' a Toby Enstrom hat in this interview? Earlier in the season he wore mostly a Manitoba Moose hat before switching to a regular Jets logo.

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
Only thing I'm concerned about is that our penalties have dropped significantly in his absence. I think we get good buff though. Glad to have him back

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I think one of the big things this year for Buff is he isn't not pushing the play as much. In previous years he was causing alot of turnovers and we were having alot of odd man rushes against. Maurice confirmed to what i was seeing on the ice. On the other hand i see Trouba is doing the opposite lately because he wants a big contract.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It would be interesting to explain Buff to the other teams fans. This what I imagine it would look like. So whose your top paid D? Buff. So he may be the best defensive guy. You know the guy that plays against Connor McDavid or Stamkos to shut them down, right? While, no that's Trouba and Morissey. But he is pretty good offensively. So then he must have a boatload of points and have way more than all the other D on the team? While no, Myers is probably leading the team in goals and Morrissey as many points as him, without the powerplay time. Okay, well then what are you paying him for? Well he's extremely loyal and has been with the team for a really long time. Plus he is really good at delivering big hits and fans really like him.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad