Confirmed with Link: Dustin Brown to retire after playoffs

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I was at Dustin’s first game in the NHL in October 2003 at the Joe Louis Arena. Brown started the game on a line with Ziggy Palffy and Jozef Stumpel, a spot he had earned after a very impressive camp and pre-season. Brown, like most of his games that season did not play well and was eventually pushed down to the 4th line in favor of Trent Klatt as the game tightened in the 3rd, not surprising for an 18 year old player. Brown did however nearly score a goal, firing a shot off a face off win by Stumpel that grazed the post. This was also Tim Gleason’s first NHL game, and very likely the only breakaway Gleason ever had in his NHL career (in his debut in his hometown no less).

The Kings scored on Hasek and were winning late in the 3rd before giving up 2 late goals including the GWG by Yzerman against Roman Cechmanek that I believe was with less than a second left.

The names mentioned in this post, and some of those not mentioned like Brett Hull tell you just how long Brown was on the Kings. He was teammates with Ziggy Palffy, Roman Cechmanek and Jozef Stumpel on this night and will finish his career being teammates with Quinton Byfield, Arthur Kaliyev and Jordan Spence.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don’t know how we can support this monster given his history:

"KNEE SPREE" MANHUNT ENDS IN GUNFIRE, ARREST, QUESTIONS
By Doug Wilson, Editor-in-Chief

San Jose, CA, 9:59PM (UPDATED at 10:34PM)

Dustin Brown, suspected Serial Kneer, was arrested on Sunday by authorities working out of the greater Bay Area.

"We finally got him," Sgt. Thornton said, a visible tear in his eye. "I can never forgive what he did to my deputy. Tomas had such a bright career ahead of him. One of the best deputies I ever had. Now, of course, he's dead. But we got the man responsible."

The "Knee Spree," as it was recently coined, has left a bloody, turbulent trail across much of the North American west coast, with crime scenes from the Bay Area all the way to Calgary, Alberta. Investigators initially believed the Spree was the work of multiple men, perhaps copycats, or perhaps even a wider cabal of Serial Kneers, Elbowers, and Headbutters. The crime wave crossed multiple state lines, inevitably international lines, and left in its wake the bruised and battered hopes and dreams of those it victimized.

"I didn't even see him coming," Jaden Schwartz, a St. Louis man, told the Mercury News. Schwartz famously survived his own run-in with the Serial Kneer several years ago. "Just suddenly, an appendage flew out of the darkness. Didn't see where it came from, or where it went after that. Scariest thing I ever saw. Lucky for me it missed, but it coulda killed me, man."

Others, of course, were not as lucky as Schwartz, including Deputy Tomas Hertl of the SJPD. Before Hertl passed away from complications resulting from Tweaked Knee Syndrome (TKS), he provided investigators with one of the first sketches of Brown's ghoulish though somewhat childlike visage.

"Without Tomas, today isn't possible," Sgt. Thornton exclaimed at an emotional press conference Monday morning. "Tomas gave us the sketch. Tomas gave us Brown's face. TKS has taken so many lives now." Thornton paused to stare blankly into the mid-distance for several moments.

"It's all over, at least," he concluded, eyes glassy.

After spending weeks collecting evidence, investigators finally closed in on Brown's Los Angeles compound early Sunday morning. A heavily armed Brown was suspected to put up a fight, but surprisingly, he surrendered peacefully. In fact, the only shot fired was a brief, nearly disastrous confrontation between Orange County authorities and the SJPD. The Orange County Officer accused of discharging his firearm before the raid on Brown later spoke to the Mercury News:

"Don't know what came over me," Officer Getzlaf said. "I just looked over at the SJ group, and I swear one of 'em looked like a full grown rat wearing man's clothes, like somethin' out of a horror movie. Half man, half rat. Ugliest guy I've ever seen." Getzlaf paused to wipe visible sweat from his gleaming head. "I was spooked, ya know, and I fumbled with my gun, and it just went off. It was an accident. We've all been on edge these last few years."

On edge, indeed, the very edge of the Knee Spree, which originally came to national attention sometime in the spring of 2012. Though some leading researchers claim it was going on long before then.

"These kinds of serial predators, they don't just randomly start hurting people," claimed Dr. Shane Doan, a professor of criminal psychology at University of Arizona. "Sometimes they start as young as six months. Crawl right over to mom or dad, headbutt them right on the patella. It's sick behavior. Lifelong behavior. Brown is never going to change. He's a sick, sick man."

Brown was booked into Santa Clara County Jail late Sunday morning. This is an ongoing story.
Edmonton better be careful. Brown is a guided missile, and the McDavid knee tracking chip has been installed in his targeting system.

Reactions: YP44

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I was at Dustin’s first game in the NHL in October 2003 at the Joe Louis Arena. Brown started the game on a line with Ziggy Palffy and Jozef Stumpel, a spot he had earned after a very impressive camp and pre-season. Brown, like most of his games that season did not play well and was eventually pushed down to the 4th line in favor of Trent Klatt as the game tightened in the 3rd, not surprising for an 18 year old player. Brown did however nearly score a goal, firing a shot off a face off win by Stumpel that grazed the post. This was also Tim Gleason’s first NHL game, and very likely the only breakaway Gleason ever had in his NHL career (in his debut in his hometown no less).

The Kings scored on Hasek and were winning late in the 3rd before giving up 2 late goals including the GWG by Yzerman against Roman Cechmanek that I believe was with less than a second left.

The names mentioned in this post, and some of those not mentioned like Brett Hull tell you just how long Brown was on the Kings. He was teammates with Ziggy Palffy, Roman Cechmanek and Jozef Stumpel on this night and will finish his career being teammates with Quinton Byfield, Arthur Kaliyev and Jordan Spence.
I remember this game. It was Cechmanek’s first as a King as well, replacing Potvin as the number 1. He actually played really well that night until the Yzerman GWG which he shot from the blue line.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
1651207113148.gif

Me watching the Kopi and Brownie embrace.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
I knew it was time and that it should happen. That doesn’t mean I wanted it to be true. Now it is… and it sucks. I’m glad I can say he was our captain and a good one by all accounts. He lead by example and never shirked his duties to his team or his fans. He played with his whole heart and body and we will never forget what he means to this team and to this city! Good luck and thank you Dustin, Captain my captain! I’m glad you’ll be leading the kids into the playoffs!

See you in September at the coaching staff meeting?!

Ryan120420

Dec 2, 2010
When Browns #23 is raised to the rafters, he will join Dave Taylor as the only player among the retired Kings numbers to have played their entire career with the Kings. That is something truly special and rare.

I'm so happy that he decided to not bounce around the league. Seeing Brown in a another teams jersey would be just wrong.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I remember the first time I saw Dustin Brown play at the Kings rookie camp. This unassuming guy with a crew cut came in and sat next to me. I recognized him immediately, but didn't call anyone's attention to him. About that time Brown charged the net from the left wing for about the third or fourth time during the scrimmage ramming into the post and knocking the net off its moorings.

I said something like, "If that kid ever cuts it back to the middle and shoots, he will probably score." The guy with the crew cut said, "My brother has seen him play in juniors, and says he is a pretty good player." About three minutes later Brown, instead of ramming the post, cut a rush back to the middle and scored on wrist shot.

The guy with the crew cut said, "Good call." I asked him, "You gonna let that grow out before the season?" He said, "Oh, I have to, besides it gets cold on the road." That conversation started an association (not close enough to be called a friendship) that was very friendly and has lasted years.

The guy with the crew cut said, "Watch that kid Brown. He is going to be a first-line winger for the Kings some day."

You all know the guy with the crew cut. Many of you criticize and praise his color commentary.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Going to miss Brown.
This season you could see the disappointment in his face when his game wasn't at the level he demanded for himself. I do think it is the right decision.
Going to miss Brown.
Love the way he plays the game. Like a bull in a china shop on his best days and always gives 100%.
Going to miss Brown
Met him at his 1st Frozen Fury, when I was dressed as Elvis and a few beverages in. Gave me that goofy smile and a chuckle.
You could always rely on him giving honest assessments during interviews. But he never ever threw anyone under the bus or showed disappointment on the ice when a teammate made a mistake.
Thank you Brown for everything, including the 2 Cups.
Really going to miss you.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
I admitted to myself as a fan that it was time and that it should happen sooner rather than later. That doesn’t mean I wanted it to be true. Not Dustin Brown!! Now it’s official… and it sucks!! I’m glad I can say he was our captain and our best one by all accounts. He lead by example and never shirked his duties to his team or his fans. Two cups are testimony to him! He played with his whole heart and body and I will never forget what he means to this team and to this city! Good luck and thank you, Captain my Captain!

See you in September at the coaching staff meeting?!

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I prefer to use the term "penalty drawer" :).

I thought the Mike Smith incident in the playoffs is where it really changed.
Used to call it "getting Brown'd". "Well, that guy just got Brown'd" Pretty sure he was leading the league in penalties drawn or something like that for awhile. That all changed after 2012 since he was on the national radar and people around the league started talking about it. Nobody cared when it didn't matter because the Kings sucked but once they didn't suck, the refs didn't give him the benefit of the doubt anymore. Once they stopped giving him the calls, he didn't fall down on purpose anymore.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Maybe. I think it's more likely that he didn't want to distract the team in the middle of a playoff chase with a masturbatory good-bye tour for the last dozen games.
But when are they going to honor him now? Before game 3 or 4 distracting them before a playoff game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad