Confirmed with Link: Dustin Brown to retire after playoffs

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
So glad he's not going to try floating around the league for peanuts. He'll retire with dignity. Knees around the league rejoice.
aph1mGE.gif
Hertl is happy!

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Said this in the main board thread but as a Ducks fan while I can’t stand the Kings and felt immense mental and physical pain watching your cup wins (esp. 2014), this makes me incredibly sad, especially when coupled with the fact that Getzlaf retired as well. Growing up in the 00s with a lot of friends both Kings and Ducks fans is when I really got into hockey, and frequently arguing about who was better between Getzlaf and Perry and Kopitar and Brown watching Ducks and Kings is where I first got my passion for hockey, which culminated in us getting season tickets mid 06-07 and our cup win. These guys being out of the scene just feels so wrong to me. And while I hated the wins when they happened and am still bitter about the fact that you guys have more now, lol, the Southern California and hockey loving sides of me is very happy that the combined success of both teams, with marquee players synonymous with winning is putting us on the map as what I fully believe will eventually one of the hockey hot spots in North America, and it’s exciting that we’re starting to watch our investments in youth hockey programs to develop players starting to produce NHL draftees

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi my Kings friends,

Just read the news. For the years my Canucks were competitive I remember hating Dustin in that way one does when you don’t like playing against them but would love to have on your team.

He played the Game hard, on the edge and occasionally over the line, which is what made him so effective.

For what he brought to your Team, for so long and in the biggest Games, I expect to see his Jersey in your rafters some day.

All the best in retirement #23
12B3EA1F-96FA-45EF-A54D-F1220D34D80C.gif

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Said this in the main board thread but as a Ducks fan while I can’t stand the Kings and felt immense mental and physical pain watching your cup wins (esp. 2014), this makes me incredibly sad, especially when coupled with the fact that Getzlaf retired as well. Growing up in the 00s with a lot of friends both Kings and Ducks fans is when I really got into hockey, and frequently arguing about who was better between Getzlaf and Perry and Kopitar and Brown watching Ducks and Kings is where I first got my passion for hockey, which culminated in us getting season tickets mid 06-07 and our cup win. These guys being out of the scene just feels so wrong to me. And while I hated the wins when they happened and am still bitter about the fact that you guys have more now, lol, the Southern California and hockey loving sides of me is very happy that the combined success of both teams, with marquee players synonymous with winning is putting us on the map as what I fully believe will eventually one of the hockey hot spots in North America, and it’s exciting that we’re starting to watch our investments in youth hockey programs to develop players starting to produce NHL draftees
They'll get to hang out at the beach together.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Kudos to Brownie on making the right call and going out like a boss. Sad to see him go though, Kings Legend forever, the best captain the team has ever had, and he is someone I wouldn't mind at all being hired on with the organization moving forward in a non-GM role.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Posted in the other thread, but then I saw there was a new one about this:

I'm conflicted.

The 2003 draft was the first one that piqued my interest. Before that, I just loved the Kings and didn't care about player origins. I just never thought "huh, where do players come from when the older ones retire?" The notion of a draft was completely alien to me.

In the chat room I was in (it may have been HFBoards, even), I asked "So can he play next season?" And someone said "He won't be playing for years." Sure enough, when I saw Brown would be playing in the 03-04 season, I started watching him closely, as I was told he wouldn't be playing in the NHL for years.

So, in a way... Brown was the first player who got me started in following and loving the draft. He was the start of me looking at the NHL and hockey from a completely different angle. I truly feel blessed that my first prospect whose career trajectory I closely followed spanned 19 years with one team.

Between this and the cups, I will always have a special place in my heart for Brown, and appreciation for what he brings.

I also feel sad for Brown. Having the reflection and decision to tell yourself, not just others, that you can't do it anymore, is one of the hardest things to admit.

However, I am also happy. I would rather him retire a Kings player than getting paid league minimum to act as a mercenary for some random team.

And, as much as Brown's loved, his performance on the ice has taken a downward turn. The Kings have had an excess of dependence on the vets. I think it's best for Brown and the Kings he not be subjected to unnecessary struggles.

I am sure he will work in some capacity with the Kings afterwards. I hope he enjoys his retirement and his path going forward. He truly made Los Angeles his home, and I'm going to sob like a bitch when they have a ceremony for him.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, I'm glad he didn't force the Kings to make a tough decision next season.

Kings legend forever.

It wouldn't have been a tough call. Giving Brown an 8 year deal in 2013 when he was 29, that's a tough decision. That's, ok, we're buying the first 4 years, but paying for 8 because of the cap. We know it's a risk, but he just won.

Today, there's no more Cup hangover. He's 37. I highly doubt there was ever a thought of re-signing him for another year.

If he didn't have 2012, there's probably no 8 year deal in 2013. If he didn't have the Cups, I could've seen a Joe Thornton bounce around looking for one adventure.

Reactions: Buddy The Elf

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'm lame and have a ton of Kings jerseys. Never wear my Brown one but I wore it to the game last Saturday as I had a feeling it was his last regular season home game.

Not a surprise and it's also not a surprise that he didn't turn this season into some big retirement tour.

I mentioned it throughout this season that the only way it made sense for him to come back was to accept a 4th line role and go out there and bang the body. Why do that at age 37/38? It's a grind.

Dave Taylor is Dave Taylor. King of Kings. Well, Brown has him in games and was the C for the only two Cups in franchise history. Taylor has him beat in every other statistical category (except shots and hits if they would have kept that stat) but I think Brown kind of replaced him. Of course, Kopitar is going to pass him in games played and wind up closer to the top of all scoring categories and could very well play his entire career in a Kings sweater as well. It's interesting because you don't see it very often where a guy play his entire, long career with one franchise but here's Brown doing it and it's hard to imagine Kopitar or Quick doing the "what's that guy doing in that jersey" move. Maybe it is the South Bay. Regardless, we can all moan and bitch about the contracts and everything but forgetting that: it's f***ing cool to have season seats for the entirety of a guy's career like this and pretty much be there for 90% of the games he ever played at home. Rarer and rarer to see a one-team career like this and I'm glad I've been here for it.

Prime Brown was an absolute treat as a STH'er. Probably wasn't until 2013 that he stopped being a heat seeking missile out there but damn it was a lot of fun knowing that he was going to be taking huge runs all game long.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
It wouldn't have been a tough call. Giving Brown an 8 year deal in 2013 when he was 29, that's a tough decision. That's, ok, we're buying the first 4 years, but paying for 8 because of the cap. We know it's a risk, but he just won.

Today, there's no more Cup hangover. He's 37. I highly doubt there was ever a thought of re-signing him for another year.

If he didn't have 2012, there's probably no 8 year deal in 2013. If he didn't have the Cups, I could've seen a Joe Thornton bounce around looking for one adventure.
I disagree. I think they would've brought him back for another season. 1 year, whatever is left of the cap the day before th season starts would've been his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad