Confirmed with Link: Dustin Brown to retire after playoffs

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
This hits me hard. Brown has embodied Kings Hockey for nearly 2 decades with his leadership, grit, skill, and team-first mentality. This guy's a winner. Look forward to seeing his jersey up in the rafters and telling my future kids about the kind of player he was.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I didn't mind when they hung Rob Blake from the rafters but thought it was the right decision to let him down after a few hours so he could go on with his life.
Very good, you caught that. :)

I shot some flaming arrows at Blake's number as it went up, but Luc had turned up the A/C to full, and they were blown off course.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The mike smith hack on his knee is what likely started three years of knee problems and bad play. Would LOVE him to get more payback this year :nod:
On behalf of all Kings fans I sanction the assassination of Mike Smiths knees

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
On behalf of all Kings fans I sanction the assassination of Mike Smiths knees

I have just the man for the job, and if he can't ID Smith, he will sanction all of the Oilers.

p807_p_v10_ab.jpg

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
What a career. Captained 2 Cup teams. I never thought I’d see one in my lifetime, let alone two. Surprised his body didn’t break down earlier with the way he played.

The time is right for his retirement. If he stuck around another year, he’d probably see many healthy scratches and would have been a shell of his old self.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
End of an era. I'm glad he's doing the right thing, as the time had clearly come. Now go out there and give the Oilers hell Brownie. I look forward to seeing 23 put up in the rafters next year

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm surprised and I'm not surprised at the same time. I think if he wanted to Blake and Luc would've brought him back, but is it really worth being the 13th forward playing 40-50 games which is what I'm sure he was thinking.

Man what else needs to be said about him. Most games played and captained the team to its first 2 Cup wins. We knew this day was coming sooner than later and yet nothing can prepare you for the day when it does come and thinking about it now gets me emotional. What an absolute blast its been to have him on this team.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I'm a lot more emotional about this than I thought I'd be. IMO Brownie's time had come, but damn that man gave everything to this franchise. Truly a Kings legend

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I'll never forget my first game at Staples Center; Dustin scored a hat-trick against St. Louis in 6-2 win. I think Ben Bishop was in net at the time and Frolov had a goal as well. Special moment.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I disagree. I think they would've brought him back for another season. 1 year, whatever is left of the cap the day before th season starts would've been his contract.

They just haven't done anything to indicate they would want a spot tied up with a 38 year old Brown. If he was still signed for next year, like there had been a 9th year on the deal, sure, they're not buying him out or anything. Too much respect for him and what he meant to the franchise.

I think both sides were, yeah, I'm good. Brown isn't chasing anything. He rarely if ever looked like a player this season who wanted to do this another time. Him gone opens up a spot for someone younger. Someone hungrier. I would guess nobody was saying, come on Dustin, we really need you for another year.

They probably met sometime, Brown says you know Mr. Bosses, I think I'm done. Then they say, that's cool, bro. Appreciate everything.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Still the all-time leader in hits since the stat started being kept and he missed out on nearly 2 1/2 seasons of hits being counted towards his total. Not sure how much juice Clutterbuck has but he'll pass Brown next season. Matt Martin might get him too.

Ovechkin missed out on two seasons of hit stats as well but is ~350 behind Brown.

311 hits and 33 goals in 2008. That's a lot of fun.

93 hits to go along with 20 points in 20 games for the 2021 Cup. 125 hits in 26 games for the 2014 Cup.

Shit...25 hits in the four game sweep at the hands of this year's non-playoff team the Vegas Golden Knights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad