• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

To be fair last year Bieksa was better in playoffs. And I think late in the season his hand was bothering him, so we`ll see how he will look coming back.
But I understand the panic rising as well ha

Reactions: Mallard

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Lol Bob's big deadline acquisitions both scratched for game 1.

Having Bieksa back worries me but straight up if we get the playoff Bieksa we're used to he's an improvement on Welinski right now.

Reactions: Duck Off

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I understand why Carlyle would go with Vermette in the playoffs where faceoffs are much more important. I’m just glad he’s not sitting Grant.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Playoff bieksa last year was a #6-7.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I do think Bieksa could be a better option than Welinski, but I hate the idea of having his first game back be game 1 of the playoffs. The speed of the game will seem even faster to him than normal. Unfortunately, we don't have much of a choice.

Reactions: Getzmonster

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
That is literally my bracket except I have Winnipeg instead of Nashville. As much as it would suck to lose to a Canadian team and never hear the end of it, anything is better than the Preds.

BTW Bieksa last played 3/12. Since then we are 10-1-1. In the last 12 he played we were 5-5-2.

Last edited:

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
If you think veteran smarts, intangibles, and experience will be important-Bieksa.

If you think skating, passing, moving the puck, and being a threat on offense-Welinski.

You can't have them both, it's either or.

But's it's not like fans have a choice anyway. We know who RC will ice.

Just don't sell how great Bieksa was in the playoffs last year. He was adequate. But I guess compared to how he is normally that was great.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If you think veteran smarts, intangibles, and experience will be important-Bieksa.

If you think skating, passing, moving the puck, and being a threat on offense-Welinski.

You can't have them both, it's either or.

But's it's not like fans have a choice anyway. We know who RC will ice.

Just don't sell how great Bieksa was in the playoffs last year. He was adequate. But I guess compared to how he is normally that was great.

Adequate is how I would put it too. And he barely played when he was actually in the lineup also.

He certainly wasn’t a playoff beast or warrior like a lot are remembering.

Reactions: Deuce22

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
It would be dumb to have Bieksa draw back in having not played for over a month, not to mention the team has played great hockey since he went down and has been on a great run to round out the season - no reason to change that going into the playoffs. Then again it looks like Vermette is going to draw in having played about 4 games in the last 6/7 weeks, so I wouldn't be surprised if Bieksa is just thrown straight back in.

I just don't understand why a coach would want to disrupt a team who's been on their best run of the season as the playoffs start. It just doesn't make sense, especially when the players likely to draw in have been big fat negatives this season.

Reactions: Paul4587

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
It would be dumb to have Bieksa draw back in having not played for over a month, not to mention the team has played great hockey since he went down and has been on a great run to round out the season - no reason to change that going into the playoffs. Then again it looks like Vermette is going to draw in having played about 4 games in the last 6/7 weeks, so I wouldn't be surprised if Bieksa is just thrown straight back in.

I just don't understand why a coach would want to disrupt a team who's been on their best run of the season as the playoffs start. It just doesn't make sense, especially when the players likely to draw in have been big fat negatives this season.

I'm OK with Vermette.

Fourth line is only going to play 5 minutes or so.

Having Vermette available to take important draws will be nice.

I'd assume that Bieksa would play with Pettersson. Saddling him with Bieksa in his first playoff hockey could be too much. Unless we want a Bieksa/Beauch reprise.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012

Because we can’t get complacent. It’s not like he’s tinkering the top 3 lines, he’s adjusting the 4th line for Christ sake. A line that he’s going to play 6-7 mins anyway. Chimera/Verm/Kelly have all been a black hole offensively, so might as well get Vermette taking some draws. As far as Bieksa goes, I prefer him as a #5/6 toWelinski. Especially in the playoffs.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Because we can’t get complacent. It’s not like he’s tinkering the top 3 lines, he’s adjusting the 4th line for Christ sake. A line that he’s going to play 6-7 mins anyway. Chimera/Verm/Kelly have all been a black hole offensively, so might as well get Vermette taking some draws. As far as Bieksa goes, I prefer him as a #5/6 toWelinski. Especially in the playoffs.
Yeah, maybe if Fowler hadn't gotten hurt, but icing 3 really inexperienced defensemen isn't a great choice either.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Yeah, maybe if Fowler hadn't gotten hurt, but icing 3 really inexperienced defensemen isn't a great choice either.

this is why the decision to not add someone like Cole was a mistake. I was all for not giving up big assets for a rental, but one of our two 3rds for Cole should have been a no brainer IMO. 3 young inexperienced defenseman isn't ideal, but I don't think playing Bieksa is any more ideal.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I wouldn't really lump Montour in as inexperienced. He's got a 100+ regular season games under his belt as well as 17 playoff games. We know Bieksa is a detriment to our success. See what Welinski has G1 and if it's that bad then go with the known commodity of suck. Either way KB better be on the shortest leash imaginable.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

We swept Flames without Fowler last spring. Other guys will just have to step up until he's healthy. I prefer the unknown (young guys in first playoff) to the known (Bieksa).

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
We swept Flames without Fowler last spring. Other guys will just have to step up until he's healthy. I prefer the unknown (young guys in first playoff) to the known (Bieksa).
That series sweep had more to do with Elliot absolutely playing like trash. If they had competent goaltending, I don't think the ducks sweep

Reactions: Duck Off

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
That series sweep had more to do with Elliot absolutely playing like trash. If they had competent goaltending, I don't think the ducks sweep

Of course not. But my point is that the Ducks are capable of winning in the playoffs without Fowler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad