Who wins this one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Bieksa's biggest issue (and honestly the defining line between him and Beauchemin right now) is his hockey smarts. He's slow, and not skilled, but he could still be very serviceable playing a safe, smart game. The problem is that he's not. He's making dumb pinches, failing continuously to break the puck out, and suffering non-stop defensive lapses that would make any coach (besides Carlyle of course) turn red. He's physical, and he still does possess a shadow of his formidable slapshot, but his defensive play is exceptionally poor and his vision and decision-making with the puck is very poor as well. Bieksa last playoffs stopped with his Karlsson wannabeism (is that a word? :laugh:) and that helped his play a lot -- he stopped chasing the puck as much trying to push the play offensively and played a stay-at-home DFD role, which is MUCH more agreeable with his current skillset. He wasn't fantastic but he wasn't a detriment to the team.

Compare with Beauchemin, who's slow and unskilled, but smart. His first pass is better than Bieksa's, he's miles better in his own end, and even though he's not a particularly great playmaker, he's still adequate in that area. He's a liability on the rush because of his speed, but he's adapted fairly well to the stay-at-home role that Bieksa has (save for the Calgary series) failed to adapt to.

I don't necessarily mind Beauch drawing in every now and then as long as we're not going up against a team that's oozing speed, but unless Bieksa returns to his responsible playstyle from the Calgary series -- I agree with you that Bieksa looks worse than even last year -- I don't want to see him anywhere near the lineup.

I agree with most of this. The only question I have is how much of Bieksa's poor play this year was related to his hand injury (which apparently has been bothering him for some time)? It would explain the bad passing (which was noticeably worse than past years). Not some of the other issues.

Beauchemin has shown steady improvement throughout the year. I think he and Montour can be a serviceable pairing, particularly against a team like San Jose that has good (not great) speed.

Reactions: Elf

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Bieksa's biggest issue (and honestly the defining line between him and Beauchemin right now) is his hockey smarts. He's slow, and not skilled, but he could still be very serviceable playing a safe, smart game. The problem is that he's not. He's making dumb pinches, failing continuously to break the puck out, and suffering non-stop defensive lapses that would make any coach (besides Carlyle of course) turn red. He's physical, and he still does possess a shadow of his formidable slapshot, but his defensive play is exceptionally poor and his vision and decision-making with the puck is very poor as well. Bieksa last playoffs stopped with his Karlsson wannabeism (is that a word? :laugh:) and that helped his play a lot -- he stopped chasing the puck as much trying to push the play offensively and played a stay-at-home DFD role, which is MUCH more agreeable with his current skillset. He wasn't fantastic but he wasn't a detriment to the team.

Compare with Beauchemin, who's slow and unskilled, but smart. His first pass is better than Bieksa's, he's miles better in his own end, and even though he's not a particularly great playmaker, he's still adequate in that area. He's a liability on the rush because of his speed, but he's adapted fairly well to the stay-at-home role that Bieksa has (save for the Calgary series) failed to adapt to.

I don't necessarily mind Beauch drawing in every now and then as long as we're not going up against a team that's oozing speed, but unless Bieksa returns to his responsible playstyle from the Calgary series -- I agree with you that Bieksa looks worse than even last year -- I don't want to see him anywhere near the lineup.

I agree with all of this except for the last part. I was completely fine with dressing Beauchemin every game. He was an ideal bottom pairing defenseman. Bieksa should have never been able to wear a Ducks sweater this season. He's ass.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Yeah, Beauch has looked to me pretty much like he always did, just a bit slower. But even at his best he could be beat to the outside, he's never been Commander Agile or anything. But he wins his battles, he makes his passes, he gets his shots through, he's been great in his role. I don't love him in the #4 slot with Montour as a partner, I think that has as much potential for harm as good, but that's where we are without Fowler unfortunately.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
This poster is also refusing to report to the Ducks or Wild...have to go another direction
Drat. We have made several trades with the Leafs in the past though... Maybe we could trade them the rights to CI (they don't need to know he is a UFA) and 10 Leafs-related posts from Duckaroosky?

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Drat. We have made several trades with the Leafs in the past though... Maybe we could trade them the rights to CI (they don't need to know he is a UFA) and 10 Leafs-related posts from Duckaroosky?

WOT? All my leafs related posts is that they suck, not sure that's what they want over there. I guess I could say something nice about Matthews since I'm also a half Mexican hockey player (a more successful one since I've won the cup ;) )

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It is now the Ducks turn for the HF Hawks badnwagon draft. Pick a good one (and please don't take more than an hour or two). :)

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
WOT? All my leafs related posts is that they suck, not sure that's what they want over there. I guess I could say something nice about Matthews since I'm also a half Mexican hockey player (a more successful one since I've won the cup ;) )
I wouldn't expect anything less, but they don't need to find that out until after the trade. :laugh:

Reactions: duckaroosky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad