Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Discussion 2017/18 - part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The deal ended up being Rubtsov and 2020 2nd for Christophe Farmer, rights to Vladimir Kuznetsov, 2020 1st, 2020 2nd and 2020 3rd. Huge boost to AB Titan's lineup, but they paid a considerable price in futures. Win-win for both teams, I'd say.

Fun fact(s) -- Sylvain Couturier, Sean Couturier's father, is the GM (and part owner?) of AB Titan. Rubtsov is a Flyers first-round pick from 2016, so there are all kinds of Philly connections in this deal. Not that there's anything wrong with any of this, I just found it curious, that's all.

1jx2t5.jpg

Reactions: Opak

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I'm secretly hoping they sign him this season and he makes his NHL debut late or even in the playoffs.

It will be very strange if he decides to opt for FA in 18 months or whatever. We can give him the most money and we have a need.

The "dream" scenario for the Ducks is that we sign Terry during the summer, because his 3-year ELC would end at the same time with the Getz & Perry contracts. And because he's not under an NHL contract at the moment, he's still eligible to play in the Olympics...

He's a huge Avs fan, I think.

The Avs suck though. And after seeing/hearing how the Avs treated his buddy Will Butcher, his brain should be telling him to steer clear from that organization.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He's a huge Avs fan, I think.

In and of itself, that doesn't worry me. Kids grow up a fan of somebody and seldom make their way to that team. (See Maple Leafs, Toronto) But as I mentioned above it would still behoove us to court this kid as if he were a FA and make him know how much he is wanted here and how good the opportunity is here to jump in as soon as he is ready, while learning from some of the best in the game as they transition out. For the next year and a half (if it goes that far) we are the only team who can speak to him. We absolutely need to impart the Stockholm Syndrome into this kid.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Avs suck though. And after seeing/hearing how the Avs treated his buddy Will Butcher, his brain should be telling him to steer clear from that organization.

The Ducks org has been very patient with all of their college prospects. Although, the Schultz scenario did occur, many other collegiate prospects the Ducks wanted signed have signed. And, just for karma's sake, we drafted G Andersen after he reneged going to the Hurricanes. Then we were able to trade Andersen for a 2016 1st round pick (Sam Steel) and a 2017 2nd round pick (Comtois).

But I like how we had both Getz and Pears work up the system from third line and up in our history. That's a good history to show Terry that even the superstar Twins didn't mind working their way up to the top line. It's obvious we're missing scoring talent and he'd be needed sooner than much later.

Oct 18, 2011
I'm secretly hoping they sign him this season and he makes his NHL debut late or even in the playoffs.

It will be very strange if he decides to opt for FA in 18 months or whatever. We can give him the most money and we have a need.
If he doesnt sign after the season time to trade him. Theres no reason to turn down the money other than wanting to play elsewhere

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Steel is on the top line for the WHL in the Canada-Russia series, playing between Dube (CGY) and Steenbergen (ARI). Mahura is on the top d-pair with Clague (LAK).

Reactions: Mallard

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Tonight:

Kopacka 1+1 and first star
Steel 1g
Mahura 1a
Soy 1g
Morand 3a
Jones didn't play in his game for unknown reasons to me.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Is Jacob Larsson hurt?
Seems he has been in and out of line up
Thx

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Speculation on the knights board is that he was benched due to his poor work ethic and attitude.
Obviously cover it up to the media by saying he's sick.
Well that certainly isn't great to hear.

So far today Kopacka has a goal and an assist and Morand has an assist.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Brent gates actually played last night as well, NCAA websites suck. He went 1+1. Troy Terry had an assist, and Badini was scoreless.

Morand finished his game with two assists.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Steel 1+1 tonight. Last night comtois had an assist in the canada/Russia game.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Comtois' team just got better. Victoriaville acquired Vitali Abramov from Gatineau, TVA is reporting that the price was a 1st, two 2nds and a 4th. Abramov had 104 points in 66 games last year, 25 points in 16 games this season. That should be a ridiculous offensive boost for Victoriaville...

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
So last night the Russians won the game, tying the series 3-3 and bringing it to a shootout. Comtois scored the only goal to clinch the series for the CHL and he was awarded player of the game for the Q team. Both he and Morand were scoreless in the game, but their line was the best one for the Q all night. I think Comtois and Batherson (OTT) were the best players for the Q team.

Comtois is a beast down low and along the boards. It felt like he won every board battle he was engaged in and was so hard to knock off of the puck. He's excellent at stripping the puck from opposing players, has good offensive instincts and a really good shot. He goes to the net and routinely had the Russians going at him after the whistles. A really impressive game for him all around. Stylistically he plays like Maroon with a bit of Mark Stone in him. I think the biggest question marks with him at the next level are 1)skating (He's not slow, but also not a speed demon), and 2) how his play down low will translate when he's no longer the strongest player on the ice. His board battles weren't won with size alone, he knows how to use his stick and feet to keep control of the puck and is good at using his teammates on the cycle, but it's something to keep in mind. All in all, I came away really impressed by him and think he's a great pick for 50th overall. He played center and wing, alternating with Morand. Morand was usually the center at even strength but played the point on the powerplay and Comtois would take over center duties. Comtois did however take a few draws at even strength (he was 5/9, Morand 8/10 iirc).

Morand played well and wore an A for the Q team. He's small but smart and has good hands, and not afraid to go into the corners with players much bigger than him. He made a couple nice plays defensively, at one point he took the puck from a Russian defender and then proceeded to see right around him. He wasn't as big of a factor as Comtois however, but the 2 did play well off of each other and he does have good instincts. He didn't have near the impact of Comtois though.

One last thought: on a few occasions they had Joe Veleno on their wing, and he worked really well with the two of them on the cycle and they hemmed the Russians in the zone almost every time they were there in the second period. They were dominant that period. If injuries cause the wheels to fall off this year, or if he falls in the rankings (his start was underwhelming) I would love to have Veleno on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad