Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Discussion 2017/18 - part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Terry is a skilled winger to me, needs to get stronger. He can do it all and play a lot of roles. Great hockey IQ.

Pettersson lanky D who has a solid overall game but needs to bulk up. Good hockey IQ.

Fiore is much of a late bloomer. More of a shooter imho. I think he had a good first year in pro hockey.

Welinski is a physical two way D with a blooming shot. Righty and good size. I like him on the 3rd pairing down the stretch.

Roy, small, average speed but awesome hands. Lacks the footspeed imho to overcome the shortsights.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Terry is a skilled winger to me, needs to get stronger. He can do it all and play a lot of roles. Great hockey IQ.

Pettersson lanky D who has a solid overall game but needs to bulk up. Good hockey IQ.

Fiore is much of a late bloomer. More of a shooter imho. I think he had a good first year in pro hockey.

Welinski is a physical two way D with a blooming shot. Righty and good size. I like him on the 3rd pairing down the stretch.

Roy, small, average speed but awesome hands. Lacks the footspeed imho to overcome the shortsights.
Roy is super quick but his top end speed is not very good.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Can you guys give me some info on Ducks players who made their NHL debut last season? What type of player are they, do they have an NHL future and what role do they project into long-term? Thanks!

Troy Terry
Marcus Pettersson
Gionvanni Fiore
Andy Welinski
Kevin Roy
Troy Terry -- Sample size aside, in his short NHL stint, he looked like an NHL-caliber forward in every area but one: physicality. He showed excellent patience with the puck, slick hands, and excellent hockey IQ, but he didn't keep his head up and got knocked around a lot. If he can work out his strength issues, he's definitely going to be a solid top 6 or even top line forward.

Marcus Pettersson -- He's a beanpole and he's still on the raw side, but he grew increasingly comfortable as the season went on. He's a solid passer with a good defensive game. Like most defenders that come out of Sweden, hockey IQ is his strong suit. He's a competitor as well and isn't afraid to get into the rough stuff. Not really sure what his upside is at this point, but if things go right, he could be a solid #4 or #5 with strong defensive play. Filling out his frame would be a bonus.

Giovanni Fiore -- He's a goal-scorer with a solid shot and good offensive instincts. He surprised everyone by making the team out of training camp and ended up having a decent season with San Diego after getting sent down. He's a fair bit off from a consistent NHL gig but I like him. If things go right, he could add some scoring punch to the bottom 6.

Andy Welinski -- He's a late bloomer who finally made his NHL debut this past season and looked capable. He's a solid all-around defender with a hard slapshot. He's got some meat on him and is pretty good in the physical aspects of the game. He'll likely slot in as a steady bottom-pairing defender in the future.

Kevin Roy -- He's creative and shifty with good offensive instincts, but he just doesn't have the footspeed necessary to overcome his size deficiency. He keeps his head up and doesn't get knocked around much, but he loses too many puck battles. He's a smart hockey player with a strong work rate, but he gets out-muscled too easily and doesn't have the explosiveness to generate offense by himself. If he can add strength, he could still find a role as a solid energy-line player who could chip in some offensively, but I don't think he's an NHL player at this point without getting stronger.

Reactions: Legionnaire11
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Troy Terry -- Sample size aside, in his short NHL stint, he looked like an NHL-caliber forward in every area but one: physicality. He showed excellent patience with the puck, slick hands, and excellent hockey IQ, but he didn't keep his head up and got knocked around a lot. If he can work out his strength issues, he's definitely going to be a solid top 6 or even top line forward.
This is an incredibly charitable assessment of how Terry looked.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
This is an incredibly charitable assessment of how Terry looked.
I'm feeling scroogey today, actually.

Setting aside the fact that he got rocked every 5 seconds, he showed lots of offensive talent and potential. Strength/physicality is his only real weakness going forward.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
One thing I would like to add about Pettersson that wasn`t mentioned already is - DUDE CAN GO HORIZONTAL!!!11

with a healthy offseason Jacob should be ready to compete for a roster spot as well, so Larsson, Pettersson, Welinski should be a nice competition, with Mahura coming along soon after them.

Roy and Fiore were nice last year but they both need to make that next step to seriously compete for a spot next year. If not, they will remain the AHL guys for the most part.

Should be exciting to see what Terry and Steel can bring.

Eh, the training camp can`t come soon enough, a.k.a time when a player will project to be the world beater just because he left all out in the first 2 games against AHL/junior lineups, and another player will project to be a bust just because he didn`t play to full 100% against a questionable lineup. Can`t wait!

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
One thing I would like to add about Pettersson that wasn`t mentioned already is - DUDE CAN GO HORIZONTAL!!!11

with a healthy offseason Jacob should be ready to compete for a roster spot as well, so Larsson, Pettersson, Welinski should be a nice competition, with Mahura coming along soon after them.

Roy and Fiore were nice last year but they both need to make that next step to seriously compete for a spot next year. If not, they will remain the AHL guys for the most part.

Eh, the training camp can`t come soon enough, a.k.a time when a player will project to be the world beater just because he left all out in the first 2 games against AHL/junior lineups, and another player will project to be a bust just because he didn`t play to full 100% against a questionable lineup. Can`t wait!

Fiore had a good first season. If he works well in the offseason I'd say he has a shot next year.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Fiore had a good first season. If he works well in the offseason I'd say he has a shot next year.
I admit I did not see him much or even close to at all, but from the information I gathered and in the times I saw him, he appeared to be a tad too one dimensional. And his shot/positioning alone is not as good to guarantee him future in the NHL. So I based my opinion on that, I do agree he had a good first season but it was also where he looked great going out of the gate and then dissapeared a bit. Did not get to play much even when half lineup was out, albeit at the start it looked like he could challange for a spot.

So I`m not an expert. He had a good first season. But not great.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I feel like mahura may give the other 3 run for their money

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I feel like mahura may give the other 3 run for their money
I think he will be ''somewhere there'''just not really competing with them yet. Seeing(My highlights scouting) how not that far in the past Mahura had some really bad defensive decisions, I think Mahura will see some obstacles transitioning to a pro game. Look at Theodore and Montour, even they needed prolonged AHL stints, whereas the trio are already accustomed to the pro game.

Reactions: Beretta 390

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think he will be ''somewhere there'''just not really competing with them yet. Seeing(My highlights scouting) how not that far in the past Mahura had some really bad defensive decisions, I think Mahura will see some obstacles transitioning to a pro game. Look at Theodore and Montour, even they needed prolonged AHL stints, whereas the trio are already accustomed to the pro game.
Defenetly but I think the coaches will give him a long trial/look in the preseason, I actually thought last years camp/preseason he looked good overall, he has a little of that "it" factor to his game that guys like pettersson/welinski/Larsson maybe lack. I think hell be a fun prospect to watch develop the next few years.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Interesting little tidbit from the latest (Jun 15th) 31 Thoughts Podcast. Marek mentions around minute 38 there was intel floating around the 2016 draft that suggested Anaheim was going to select Trent Frederic 30th overall. Boston went on to select him 29th overall, with Anaheim choosing Steel one pick later.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Interesting little tidbit from the latest (Jun 15th) 31 Thoughts Podcast. Marek mentions around minute 38 there was intel floating around the 2016 draft that suggested Anaheim was going to select Trent Frederic 30th overall. Boston went on to select him 29th overall, with Anaheim choosing Steel one pick later.
Left handed forward with size, sounds about right :laugh:

But Frederic had 8p in 13 games last year in the AHL, it`s not that bad. Would Steel be able to get that? It`s very possible, but not for certain.
Both seem solid so far, but Steel has more hype (justified, I would say) going into next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino