Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Discussion 2017/18 - part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I had no idea James Wisniewski was still playing hockey
Well, he's in the 2nd German league, so... you weren't too far off. (To be fair, he is kinda destroying it at that level at least offensively with 36 pts in 23 games.)

Still, kinda happy for him - when he was left of the roster for one of the last small international exhibition tournaments that seemed like a final rehearsal, he tweeted about kissing that dream goodbye and was obviously pretty heartbroken, so getting the news that he can fulfill that dream after all must be amazing. Given the level of competition he's playing with this year, I'm not sure he's going to be a good selection for Team USA, though.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Also, who do you think will be the next Ducks to make their NHL debut? I'm hoping its Petterson.
I kinda hope not, because that would probably mean a number of further injuries, and I'd not role the dice on those happening to the "right" guys in his way.

I guess I'd hope for us to get lucky on the injury front, and have Sam Steel coming in after ending his junior season with a great second half and following that up with forcing his way onto the roster. I don't expect either of those things to happen, the latter at least not this season.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Interesting news from the London Knights -- they just traded Cliff Pu to Kingston, for Nathan Dunkley and a pair of draft picks.

London's HF fanbase is already speculating that Jones is getting traded after the WJC, possibly also to Kingston. This would be an insane turn of events -- Kingston has recently acquired Gabe Vilardi and Sean Day from Windsor, now they'd add Pu and Jones into the lineup? Talk about a stacked roster...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Interesting news from the London Knights -- they just traded Cliff Pu to Kingston, for Nathan Dunkley and a pair of draft picks.

London's HF fanbase is already speculating that Jones is getting traded after the WJC, possibly also to Kingston. This would be an insane turn of events -- Kingston has recently acquired Gabe Vilardi and Sean Day from Windsor, now they'd add Pu and Jones into the lineup? Talk about a stacked roster...

London did well in that deal. Dunkley is already a solid performer and will be a top player for the next two years.

Makes sense that they'll make a similar move involving Jones with eyes on building a contender for the next two seasons. I bet they're also going to bank some draft picks in case surefire #1 pick Quentin Byfield won't report to whoever picks him first overall.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Sounds like there is a chance that Sam Steel may find himself on the Canadian Olympic team also.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Sounds like there is a chance that Sam Steel may find himself on the Canadian Olympic team also.

I'd bet on it. I get why the CHL doesn't want to let players go, especially guys who played in the world juniors, but they have to let at least one or two go, and Steel makes the most sense of pretty much anyone. Their Mem Cup spot is secure and he was probably at or near the top of Hockey Canada's list.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
What happened to Berkovitz and Metcalf?

Metcalf was never a good pick imho, Berkovitz did not progress. Man those two 6th rounder Ruggiero and Metcalf have been a waste. Unfortunately we did not take Borgström there - sure nobody did that year - and sometimes I do not understand our scouting. It will be interesting to see if Nättinen still can become something.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Metcalf was never a good pick imho, Berkovitz did not progress. Man those two 6th rounder Ruggiero and Metcalf have been a waste. Unfortunately we did not take Borgström there - sure nobody did that year - and sometimes I do not understand our scouting. It will be interesting to see if Nättinen still can become something.

It's extremely rare to hit on every pick in a draft, a pair of late picks becoming duds is no reason to question the scouting staff - who by tbe way are excellent and the envy of the majority of the league when it comes to identifying young talent.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I'm not questioning the scouting staff, I just don't understand some picks. Unfortunately the Ducks don't offer a lot of infos about their process.

I don't expect NHL pros out of the later rounds but I expect those players at least to play regualary in their teams. Metcalf had 4 games last year and none this year. Ruggiero has 3 games as a 21y old. Madden mentioned they focused on Drake Bahterson and I think they would have taken him with our 4th rounder. And while I like Badini I wish we would have taken him at #92.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Later rounds is always boom or bust. And lately we are not so bad :) Of course there will be picks that we don`t understand (including me). But oh well.
We have to improve drafting forwards though, no doubt. I think with forwards they are going after org needs, not the best player available. Just worthless speculation on my part but...

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
People didn't understand the Hampus pick either:D

Oh that was the best! The coverage on TSN on the Ducks picking Hampus was hilarious and made everyone on that telecast look foolish now. It was because of the drafting of Lindholm that I joined Anaheim Calling to relay why Lindholm was a very good pick in a fanpost, but DanielAC was so butt hurt that we didn't draft the diminutive Dumba and that Dumba was light years better than Lindholm. Oh good times!

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Later rounds is always boom or bust. And lately we are not so bad :) Of course there will be picks that we don`t understand (including me). But oh well.
We have to improve drafting forwards though, no doubt. I think with forwards they are going after org needs, not the best player available. Just worthless speculation on my part but...

I recall Madden saying that they usually draft BPA and that's why they ended up drafting more defensemen in certain drafts over forwards. We traded down in the first round b/c the Sens drafted Noesen ahead of us. Madden thought he had a shot of two players, one of them Rakell, in trading down. We ended up with Rakell and Gibson because of that trade. Then there's the story about drafting Manson... a scout really pleaded to take Manson and so the Ducks made a trade to grab Manson.

If we continue to hit on defensemen, we can always parlay that into NHL forwards. LoL Look at what Vatanen brought: an NHL vet, a prospect, and a draft pick.

Oct 18, 2011
All things considered Anaheim's later round drafting is pretty good. Kase, Roy, Welinski, Manson, Wagner. You're not going to hit on alot of those picks

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Madden himself said they were focusing on Batherson. Would have been a good pick. Unfortunately Ottawa has similar preferences than we have.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
We can't have them all. There's always going to be that one guy that was picked just behind us that makes us wonder why we whiffed on him, but once again, you can't have them all. Our record in the later rounds is nevertheless pretty immaculate.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
OHL rumors are intensifying. NHL Network's Mark Edwards is saying via twitter that Jones could indeed be going to Kingston. Robert Thomas to Hamilton, Logan Brown to Kitchener and Taylor Raddysh to Soo are the other "big rumors".

If nothing else, at least it's looking like they've identified the "big buyers" of the deadline. Will be interesting to see, where Jones ends up...

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Oh that was the best! The coverage on TSN on the Ducks picking Hampus was hilarious and made everyone on that telecast look foolish now. It was because of the drafting of Lindholm that I joined Anaheim Calling to relay why Lindholm was a very good pick in a fanpost, but DanielAC was so butt hurt that we didn't draft the diminutive Dumba and that Dumba was light years better than Lindholm. Oh good times!
Back then i was glad they didn't take Dumba, at the time Dumba was listed as 5'11 & thought they didn't need another undersized D to go along with already having Vatanen in the teams list of top prospects.
I was puzzled at the Lindholm selection but gave Murray the benefit of the doubt that it'd work out considering how well the 2010 draft went at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad