Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Discussion 2017/18 - part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Jones went 2+2 today. Really turning it on lately.

Kopacka went 2+1 and comtois went 0+2

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I'm still sad about Max Friberg. Always had a soft spot for him and Kase is what I thought Friberg will become.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Haven't yet found a video stream but I'm listening to the Canada WJC camp game. Sounds like Comtois and Mahura are both on the PK. I'll update as I see fit.

Steel is scratched (along with Fabbro, Timmins, Mete, Clague, Dube, Formenton, Kyrou, Thomas) likely an indication that he's a lock for the team.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Haven't yet found a video stream but I'm listening to the Canada WJC camp game. Sounds like Comtois and Mahura are both on the PK. I'll update as I see fit.

Steel is scratched (along with Fabbro, Timmins, Mete, Clague, Dube, Formenton, Kyrou, Thomas) likely an indication that he's a lock for the team.

Yes, perhaps the only instance I can think of where being scratched is almost surely a good sign.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So how did they do does anyone know? I`m positively surprised hearing they both were on the PK

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
With the Ducks depth at D, will we ever see Mahura play Top 4D minutes for the Ducks ?
He may eventually become part of a 3rd pairing with Mahura getting some PP minutes.
I'd really hate to see him end up on another team & explode with like 50 points in a season.

Things can change fast in this league. By the time he’s ready one of Lindholm/Fowler might have moved on or he might be eased in slowly, supplanting one of the vets as they age. Or he could bust and never play a game. Who knows.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Looks like Steel isn't scratched for next game so I think Steeel/Mahura/Comtois will all be playing.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Corey Pronman wrote a paragraph on Antoine Morand today:
Morand is a highly skilled playmaker, who has been an important part of one of the better teams in the QMJHL. I’ve been watching a lot of Acadie-Bathurst for 2018 eligible Noah Dobson, and Morand catches my eye almost every game. He’s so smart with the puck and makes plays other players don’t see. He skates well, but I wish he had an elite gear for a 5-foot-10 guy.

Reactions: Exit Dose

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I listened to the first two periods of Canada's WJC exhibition game. Comtois and Mahura were spoken of noticeably often. Bob McKenzie had high praise for Comtois's energy and forechecking; posters over in the main thread were impressed by him too. Mahura saw PP time, which may not have been a good thing considering they were unsuccessful. Supposedly he looked good carrying the puck up-ice and did so often.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Glad to hear that Comtois had a good showing, man he was awesome at the Super Series. Still not sure if He'll get a spot on the team but if he does then this will be a heck of a bounce back year for him.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Things can change fast in this league. By the time he’s ready one of Lindholm/Fowler might have moved on or he might be eased in slowly, supplanting one of the vets as they age. Or he could bust and never play a game. Who knows.
or becomes part of a trade package to acquire a young top 6 center when the time comes that Kesler or Getzlaf have fallen off a cliff in terms of performance. I suspect it'd happen to Kesler first due to the type of injury's he's had & being older than Getzlaf.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Comtois' line tonight with Thomas and Batherson was one of the best for Canada tonight. He was scoreless, Steel had an assist. Those two and Mahura all survived the first round of cuts.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I'm all but certain both Steel and Comtois will make the team. Steel was a lock from day one, but Comtois has reportedly played well both games and likely earned a roster spot.

Assuming Fabbro, Clague, Bean, and Mete are locks, Mahura is battling Ferraro, Foote, and Timmins for the remaining 2 spots. Mahura played on the right side today with Stanley, which is significant because that flexibility/comfortability is beneficial going into the tournament with limited roster spots. Mahura also played on both the PK and PP in both games. Ferraro is an interesting case because he's arguably the least skilled of all the defensemen but he is Makar's defense partner at college so the chemistry is noticeable. Foote brings size, something Canada now lacks with the release of Stanley, and is a right shot. Timmins is an offensively-minded, right shot defenseman.

If I had to guess, I'd say Mahura is on the outside looking in; it wouldn't surprise me to see both he and Timmins cut. One other wild-card to consider is the possibility of Jake Bean being cut. Canada seldom cuts returnees as they bring experience to the lineup, but the fact he played both games suggests he's not a lock. Bean had a really disappointing season last year and hasn't fared much better this year. He's supposedly a tire-fire in his own zone (-12 but also on one of the worst WHL teams).

Tomorrow's game against Denmark is a make-or-break game for Mahura.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Corey Pronman wrote a paragraph on Antoine Morand today:

Extra gear means Paul Kariya extra gear? It would be cool to develop Morand and Comtois togehter since their toolbox seem to complement each other very well.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'm all but certain both Steel and Comtois will make the team. Steel was a lock from day one, but Comtois has reportedly played well both games and likely earned a roster spot.

Assuming Fabbro, Clague, Bean, and Mete are locks, Mahura is battling Ferraro, Foote, and Timmins for the remaining 2 spots. Mahura played on the right side today with Stanley, which is significant because that flexibility/comfortability is beneficial going into the tournament with limited roster spots. Mahura also played on both the PK and PP in both games. Ferraro is an interesting case because he's arguably the least skilled of all the defensemen but he is Makar's defense partner at college so the chemistry is noticeable. Foote brings size, something Canada now lacks with the release of Stanley, and is a right shot. Timmins is an offensively-minded, right shot defenseman.

If I had to guess, I'd say Mahura is on the outside looking in; it wouldn't surprise me to see both he and Timmins cut. One other wild-card to consider is the possibility of Jake Bean being cut. Canada seldom cuts returnees as they bring experience to the lineup, but the fact he played both games suggests he's not a lock. Bean had a really disappointing season last year and hasn't fared much better this year. He's supposedly a tire-fire in his own zone (-12 but also on one of the worst WHL teams).

Tomorrow's game against Denmark is a make-or-break game for Mahura.
Timmins was only dressed for the one game which could suggest he's gonna be there. That would mean Mahura, Foote and Ferraro will battle for the #7 spot.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Final game for Canada today at 11 before their last cuts. Mahura pretty much has to have a fantastic game (or hope his competition plays terribly) to make the team. Man, he must be incredibly nervous since this is his last shot to play in the WJC. Good luck to him, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad