Confirmed with Link: Ducks aquire Bernier

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
This just in. If you're above average overall, and well above average in one thing, it means you're below average in others!

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Relevant, but not particularly helpful.

Here's a quote from the article:
"As it turns out, Andersen faced a smaller portion of his shots against from the inner slot than the average goaltender does, and fewer from the slot in general as well. What this means is that while Andersen’s save percentage last year was a solid .919, above the league average of .915, part of that was due to facing lower quality shots behind a stellar defensive club in Anaheim."

In a tangent thought, it means our defense can help Bernier and was probably one of the main reasons why we allowed the fewest goals against last year.

Granted, I still would rather have Andersen, but it does speak volumes about our defense not allowing opposing offenses to have a that higher percentage of scoring on us. As the article denoted, the inner slot is where SV% tend to be more stable and Bernier wasn't last year. That's where our goalie coach needs to hone in on Bernier for improvement.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
This probably true but if memory serves RC teams get out shot on a regular basis. They also have less possession so who knows how that will affect the goalies.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Here's a quote from the article:
"As it turns out, Andersen faced a smaller portion of his shots against from the inner slot than the average goaltender does, and fewer from the slot in general as well. What this means is that while Andersen’s save percentage last year was a solid .919, above the league average of .915, part of that was due to facing lower quality shots behind a stellar defensive club in Anaheim."

In a tangent thought, it means our defense can help Bernier and was probably one of the main reasons why we allowed the fewest goals against last year.

Granted, I still would rather have Andersen, but it does speak volumes about our defense not allowing opposing offenses to have a that higher percentage of scoring on us. As the article denoted, the inner slot is where SV% tend to be more stable and Bernier wasn't last year. That's where our goalie coach needs to hone in on Bernier for improvement.

I think Bernier will be terrific for the bolded. The Ducks D has to be one of the best in the league IMO. Even if you guys end up trading one of the guys like Depres or Stoner/Bieksa, it's not really going to be worse IMO. There is a lot of depth there. I'm really hoping he does well just because I think he got run out of town in TO and it was not his fault. That team is horrid.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Spin control Dirk. Less possession and more shots gives the opponent more chances to score. Add in that RC teams are usually more physical and more penalized putting the goalies and the team on the PK. And FYI Nieds and Pronger aren't walking through the door so I'll wait to see what happens with both our goalies with RC's "new and improved" system.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
This probably true but if memory serves RC teams get out shot on a regular basis. They also have less possession so who knows how that will affect the goalies.

Usually most of the shots are from low scoring percentage areas and actually help the goalies stay in the game
Shot_Volume_SV-460.jpg

If Gibson for whatever reason goes down, and Bernier gets games consistently I can see him having a season similar to 13/14, and like Dirk said; Carlyle's systems allows lots of shots but they're usually perimeter or low percentage areas... Could only boost his stats to look better, as long Ducks play tight in front of him.

As a leaf fan this trade has potential to look pretty silly as soon as new year if Bernier outperforms Andersen next year, all while you guys adding Steel and whomever next year on top. I'm not angry or anything, as I don't believe Bernier could ever become a starter for us here, it's just a risky move by Leafs mgmt -- they must be completely sold on Andersen.

Any news on the conditions yet? Really curious to find out if it's anything noteworthy.. Lou described it as future considerations, so I doubt it's much.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Shot_Volume_SV-460.jpg

If Gibson for whatever reason goes down, and Bernier gets games consistently I can see him having a season similar to 13/14, and like Dirk said; Carlyle's systems allows lots of shots but they're usually perimeter or low percentage areas... Could only boost his stats to look better, as long Ducks play tight in front of him.

As a leaf fan this trade has potential to look pretty silly as soon as new year if Bernier outperforms Andersen next year, all while you guys adding Steel and whomever next year on top. I'm not angry or anything, as I don't believe Bernier could ever become a starter for us here, it's just a risky move by Leafs mgmt -- they must be completely sold on Andersen.

Any news on the conditions yet? Really curious to find out if it's anything noteworthy.. Lou described it as future considerations, so I doubt it's much.

From everything I've read this was part of the Andersen trade but because of signing bonus it had to wait. I'm guessing there may be a late rounder thrown the leafs way at some point but I doubt there will be anything significant.

mytduxfan*

From everything I've read this was part of the Andersen trade but because of signing bonus it had to wait. I'm guessing there may be a late rounder thrown the leafs way at some point but I doubt there will be anything significant.

Do we even know what the conditional pick is yet?

This just being part of the Andersen deal makes a lot of sense. I'm sold.

Andersen <----> 1st + 2nd + Bernier is a pretty sweet deal. I wonder if BM will get as good a deal for Fowler?

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
I think Bernier will be terrific for the bolded. The Ducks D has to be one of the best in the league IMO. Even if you guys end up trading one of the guys like Depres or Stoner/Bieksa, it's not really going to be worse IMO. There is a lot of depth there. I'm really hoping he does well just because I think he got run out of town in TO and it was not his fault. That team is horrid.

Agreed and I think it will be again this year, with out without Fowler + Despres/Stoner. Theodore is a stud, was earning close to 20 mins/game in his stint last season as a rookie.

If Fowls is moved, it'll be interesting to see how Lindholm handles a ginormous surge in TOI.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Those are some... elaborate conditions for the compensation. I wonder how long it took for them to negotiate those? :laugh:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Given that the Leafs are almost guaranteed to get nothing why not just disclose this as Bernier for future considerations? Or disclose the conditions in the first place ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad