Confirmed with Link: Ducks aquire Bernier

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
If Theodore is a lock we are paying our #8 defenseman +3M.

I'm presuming Stoner and Fowler or Bieksa will be moved. If two of those guys are moved, and it's not a stretch to say that's on the table, then Theodore is a lock but that's just my personal view.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Theodore has to be a lock at this point no? One of the D men will have to be moved I think. Who it is....not sure.

The urgency from Detroit would suggest that they would want to do a trade before the start of the season IMO. If one subscribes to the theory that they don't want to waive four guys, then the trade has to happen before that, if one is to be done.

I don't know if he is or not. I wouldn't mind if he spent another half season in SD while we clear the logjam if it meant we were holding on to Fowler.

Even if he's with the big club, I want to see him handle more defensive responsibilities before saying Theodore is even close to being any sort of Fowler replacement. Despres is also another important question mark in this discussion.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
no. Some TO fan on the trade board was saying he heard their GM say it was for future considerations, yet some Duck fan said "I heard it's for a 2nd rounder". Nothing confirmed though.

A 2nd rounder even a possible one is too much to pay for 1 year of Bernier

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Flyers fan here and I come in peace. I have always liked Bernier and I think getting out of Toronto will help. The media there is ten times worse than here in Philly and that is saying something. I am always a little concerned what the conditions are when it comes to Lou. But anyway good luck.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Bernier is actually who I wanted at the start of this off-season. I think he's better than any other backup goalie that was available, with the exception of Reimer. However I'm stunned that Murray has had no success at shedding salary. It's making me very nervous as well.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
No idea why so many expected any salary retention. The Leafs basically retained $2M by sending him our way after July 1st. Bernier at $2.15M is a very good deal already. Can't really ask for more favours from their side.

If the pick is neglectable, Andersen for 1st, 2nd and Bernier at $2.15M is a pretty outstanding haul.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
He had a .915% and 2.8GAA in three years of playing behind some of the wort teams in the NHL. Reportedly the Ducks are paying him $2.1 million, despite his cap hit of $4.1 million.

Not bad. The cap hit is far from ideal, but it's an ok pickup otherwise.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
No idea why so many expected any salary retention. The Leafs basically retained $2M by sending him our way after July 1st. Bernier at $2.15M is a very good deal already. Can't really ask for more favours from their side.

If the pick is neglectable, Andersen for 1st, 2nd and Bernier at $2.15M is a pretty outstanding haul.

When you look at it this way it looks like we fleeced Toronto.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The more I think about it the more I think this was part of the Andersen deal. But this part had to go down after July 1, hence the conditional draft pick as compensation.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Future considerations being past considerations, aka was moved in the Andersen deal.

The future is the past. Whoa.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The more I think about it the more I think this was part of the Andersen deal. But this part had to go down after July 1, hence the conditional draft pick as compensation.

I agree. I suspect they had already agreed to move Bernier in the deal, but Toronto wanted Andersen immediately to re-sign him, while Anaheim needed Toronto to pay the signing bonus that kicked in on the 1st.

We have Bernier at his full cap hit, but for salary purposes we pay him a lot less.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I agree. I suspect they had already agreed to move Bernier in the deal, but Toronto wanted Andersen immediately to re-sign him, while Anaheim needed Toronto to pay the signing bonus that kicked in on the 1st.

We have Bernier at his full cap hit, but for salary purposes we pay him a lot less.

Hopefully Samueli will bump the internal cap by $2M since it is not coming out of his pocket. Then again he may just punish Bob, and us, for the salary on the books we have retained.

John

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Good move for you guys, he's actually pretty underrated. Sure he had an off season for the most part last year but I have a feeling he might be really good in Anaheim

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
All the best with him, I legit thought he would be the answer the back, he has the skill...his mental side is just shot. I hope he figures it out with the Ducks, although you guys have a bright future in Gibson.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Bernier is very good goalie and will push Gibby. That's good to have. And based on numbers alone he is a great goalie for that price even when you consider the team in front of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad