Confirmed with Link: Ducks aquire Bernier

paine

Jun 4, 2007
To me this seems like a missed chance at unloading Stoner.. If we would have took him on at 4.1 before the signing bonus was paid out. I think there potentially could have been a deal there.. Although maybe the Leafs just wanted no part of him.

If we were to do that contract offsets would have effectively made the Bernier contract 900k to us as opposed to the 2.15m

Unless we can unload Stoner for free I feel its a wasted opportunity.. That said its entirely possible TML wanted no part of him..

Either way 2.15 is fairly cheap for a decent backup.

I'm sure Murray tried. If you were the GM of another team, would you take on Stoner's contract? I wouldn't.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I'm fine with this deal. Pretty funny how it was discussed here that we'd probably trade for Bernier after his signing bonus happened.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Good move BM is one top line forward and one solid 3rd liner away from having a great off season. Assuming the rfa sign and no holdout

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Good move BM is one top line forward and one solid 3rd liner away from having a great off season. Assuming the rfa sign and no holdout

___, Getz, Perry
Cogs, Kesler, Silf
____, Rakell, ____
Garbutt, Wagner, Boll/Raymond

We still need at least to mid 6 caliber forwards. Really hoping for Tatar, AA at this point. I agree though, he's not having nearly as bad of an offseason as everyone is making it out to be. He's just playing the field. Think we have a solid Goalie tandem ATM.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Meh I called this on draft day, but I don't like that Murray didn't get them to retain any salary, or wasn't able to send salary back. Even though it's 2.1 million, that's a lot considering what budget space is left.

mytduxfan*

___, Getz, Perry
Cogs, Kesler, Silf
____, Rakell, ____

We still need at least to mid 6 caliber forwards. Really hoping for Tatar, AA at this point. I agree though, he's not having nearly as bad of an offseason as everyone is making it out to be. He's just playing the field. Think we have a solid Goalie tandem ATM.

Ritchie will be in the side next year.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
___, Getz, Perry
Cogs, Kesler, Silf
____, Rakell, ____

I agree but you're talking to a guy (Dirk) who values physical play over everything else. I guarantee he has Garbutt on his 3rd line and Ritchie on the top line.

mytduxfan*

Meh I called this on draft day, but I don't like that Murray didn't get them to retain any salary, or wasn't able to send salary back. Even though it's 2.1 million, that's a lot considering what budget space is left.

It would have been worth paying the price to move Stoner. Still need to see what the conditional pick is though. I suspect it'll be something linked with games played.

I agree but you're talking to a guy (Dirk) who values physical play over everything else. I guarantee he has Garbutt on his 3rd line and Ritchie on the top line.

As of right now, I have Ritchie on my top line. It's a stretch, but I'm fairly confident that Ritchie is going to make the roster and have a strong year. Getzlaf and Perry will need to carry that top line though.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Solid budget move.

it's an "okay" budget move at best IMO. I do like Bernier better than any of the other backups that were available, but a good budget move would have been able to get them to retain somewhat or move salary back. We still have a lot of holes on the roster, and we still have two defenseman on the roster that make over 7 million combined, that wouldn't be in our top 6 right now.

Lindholm-Vatanen
Fowler-Despres/Manson
Theodore-Manson/Despres
Bieksa, Stoner

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
We can put Tokarski up for the expansion draft.

No we can't, because all teams must offer a goalie that is signed for the 17-18 season. Gibson is currently the only one of our goalies, who's signed past 2018. Bernier, Hackett, Tokarski, Boyle are all free agents next offseason, which means we'd have to expose Gibson to fulfill the criteria.

I expect somebody to be extended, but still this trade is a bit weird IMO. Why not just take Rämö in on a two-year deal, thus taking care of any expansion troubles?

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013

I can see both those moves, but it wouldn't make sense to keep Rakell as the C on that line if it's not going to be offensive. I'd prefer him on the wing, but that means we need a legit 3 C. Ritchie on the top wing is expected, but lets see how he comes to camp. As good as the Kesler line looked when Cogs reunitied (and last couple games we had Hags), I still think we look for guy like Tatar for that line.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It would have been worth paying the price to move Stoner. Still need to see what the conditional pick is though. I suspect it'll be something linked with games played..

I would have easily taken a 7th instead of a 2nd for them to take Stoner. Doing that would have allowed us to re-sign Perron or add someone like Hudler.

As of right now, I have Ritchie on my top line. It's a stretch, but I'm fairly confident that Ritchie is going to make the roster and have a strong year. Getzlaf and Perry will need to carry that top line though.

He's on my top line right now too, but that's because of a lack of options, and honestly it's a bad thing. He didn't show enough last year to justify a full time NHL spot yet, let alone top line.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Expansion draft rule on exposing goaltenders:

One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

Gibson: Will not be exposed for obvious reasons.
Bernier: UFA at season's end.
Hackett: UFA at season's end.
Tokarski: UFA at season's end.
Boyle: RFA at season's end. DING DING DING... We have a winner!

Assuming GMBM does not offer any other contract extensions, Boyle will likely be exposed in next year's expansion draft.

Edit - First and second year professionals are exempt. So perhaps one of Bernier, Hackett, or Tokarski will be extended then exposed.

Last edited:

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
No we can't, because all teams must offer a goalie that is signed for the 17-18 season. Gibson is currently the only one of our goalies, who's signed past 2018. Bernier, Hackett, Tokarski, Boyle are all free agents next offseason, which means we'd have to expose Gibson to fulfill the criteria.

I expect somebody to be extended, but still this trade is a bit weird IMO. Why not just take Rämö in on a two-year deal, thus taking care of any expansion troubles?

Wonder if we can expose someone that is exempt; i.e. a prospect (Metcalf).

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas

See my post above. We can expose Boyle because he will be an RFA at the end of the season.

Edit - Perhaps not. See my edited post above.

Last edited:

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
So we move Andersen and a conditional pick for a 1st, a 2nd, and a goalie who is just as good as Andersen (something I learned this summer). Sweet!

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I'm interested to see what happens given this adds 2.1m in salary to the budget.

Can't complain with a Bernier/Gibson tandem though.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
The intriguing thing is that we essentially traded Andersen for the Kings' former version of Gibson.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I like this for the most part. The price (salary at $2.15M remaining) is a tad higher than would have been perfect, but it's fine. The term still leaves us without a draft-bait goalie next summer [edit: alcolol's post above might clear that up, maybe we good], but I like that we have such a strong, affordable tandem. I think Bernier will push Gibson more than a typical backup would have, while still being okay in a backup role.

The conditional pick may add a different aftertaste to this though once the details are known. It might involve Toronto having a shot at getting their '17 2nd rounder back, which would be a bummer for one season of backup Bernier (if the condition is met). But I shouldn't get ahead of myself just yet.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Our GT tandem is costing us 3.6M this season. I don't think you'd get much cheaper then that. In fact, that's only 0.2M more then what Reimer got from FLA to be their back-up - that's just Reimer.

I'm loving this move. Bernier had a bad start to the season, but looked better towards the end. IMO, on a better team, he'd be a quality starter in the top half of the league. I just think he grew tired of losing in TOR. I suspect he'll do well here in ANA.

GO BM!!! :yo:

I should have clarified. By adding Bernier if our budget is real We can't afford the current roster + the RFAs, someone has to go.

I have no issue with Bernier he will be one of the better backups around. I'm a big fan he carried Toronto the year after they made the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad