Confirmed with Link: Ducks aquire Bernier

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
See my post above. We can expose Boyle because he will be an RFA at the end of the season.

Yeah, for some reason I was under the impression that all exposed goalies had to be under contract at least until 2018. My mistake.

That detail does actually explain a lot -- Gibson and Bernier are a strong duo in Anaheim, Hackett and Tokarski share the net in San Diego and we pay Boyle $70k to be our sacrificial lamb. This is good news, we're set at G for the next season. $2.15 million is a bit more than I anticipated a backup getting, but that's not a terrible price either.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
Makes sense. I was hoping we could dump Stoner for Bernier, but I suppose Toronto is too close to the cap. Spending 2M+ on backup (or 1B) goalie means we really have to move one of our defensemen now.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Boyle's interesting because I believe he should be exempt, due to him only being a rookie pro. But can Anaheim just say they want to expose him anyway? Be interesting to see.

Oh ****, I forgot about the pro experience thing. That's a good question. Is Boyle auto-protected from the expansion draft, or can we simply just choose to expose him anyway?

Man, these expansion rules are so confusing. I hope they get to 32 teams quickly, I don't want to worry about this **** anymore.

mytduxfan*

I would have easily taken a 7th instead of a 2nd for them to take Stoner. Doing that would have allowed us to re-sign Perron or add someone like Hudler.

I'd have done that deal, but I doubt Perron would have re-signed. He seemed pretty adamant about rejoining STL. I'm not that interested in Hudler personally. I'm just hoping BM gets a good deal for Fowler.

He's on my top line right now too, but that's because of a lack of options, and honestly it's a bad thing. He didn't show enough last year to justify a full time NHL spot yet, let alone top line.

Fortunately for Ritchie, the decision on whether he makes the team next year won't be based on what he did last season. I'm hoping he comes to camp 10lbs lighter. I know his 1st stint wasn't great, but, watching Ritchie in the AHL, he's just too good to not be legit. He's struggling to get up to speed with the NHL, but he'll get there. I have faith he'll make the roster this coming season and improve dramatically over the course of the year.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Don't we need to expose a goalie in the expansion draft?

Anyway, always liked Bernier, hopefully he does well.

Bernier's contract expires next year. You need to expose one goalie who's either under contract in 2017-18 or a RFA in 2017 (which Bernier won't be). You'll need to resign one between Bernier, Hackett and Tokarski and then expose him (I guess).

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Bernier's contract expires next year. You need to expose one goalie who's either under contract in 2017-18 or a RFA in 2017 (which Bernier won't be). You'll need to resign one between Bernier, Hackett and Tokarski and then expose him (I guess).

We also have Kevin Boyle, who is a RFA in 2017, so he fulfills that criteria. The only question is whether Boyle CAN be exposed -- he's a college UFA with no pro experience so far, so he'd be exempt from the draft under normal circumstances.

EDIT:

To make this post somewhat related to the topic -- does anyone have any idea what we actually gave up for Bernier? What's the condition on the pick?

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Actually a great signing. I was concerned that we would end up going with a McElhinney type backup and then cringe when Gibson gets hurt. I'm sure Bernier will do well considering Toronto is a black hole for goaltenders.

That said, I'm hoping that we bring back Andersen at 50% retention after a few years of getting crushed at the Air Canada Centre.

John

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014

Exactly. I thought we'd sign one of the many UFA goalies this offseason to a 2-year deal.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Nice pick up. He'll do well there I think. He was very under-appreciated in TO.

This puts the Ducks at 63 mill (ish) according to generalfanager. It would seem very likely that there will be more moves yet to come.
http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/anaheim-ducks

I've seen a lot of speculation amongst Detroit fans and Ducks fans that a trade would work out there since the Wings have too many forwards and would covet a guy like Fowler. Are there any legs to this or is it just speculation? Seems like a good fit for both teams from what I can see.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Nice pick up. He'll do well there I think. He was very under-appreciated in TO.

This puts the Ducks at 63 mill (ish) according to generalfanager. It would seem very likely that there will be more moves yet to come.
http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/anaheim-ducks

I've seen a lot of speculation amongst Detroit fans and Ducks fans that a trade would work out there since the Wings have too many forwards and would covet a guy like Fowler. Are there any legs to this or is it just speculation? Seems like a good fit for both teams from what I can see.

A couple of the media guys have linked Fowler to Detroit (among other teams). Plus Holland's comments kind of indicated that they were interested in Fowler. Then you have the Ducks lack of wingers, and it just all adds up. That said, I'm hoping we don't trade with them, as Tatar + does not make us a better team IMO.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
A couple of the media guys have linked Fowler to Detroit (among other teams). Plus Holland's comments kind of indicated that they were interested in Fowler. Then you have the Ducks lack of wingers, and it just all adds up. That said, I'm hoping we don't trade with them, as Tatar + does not make us a better team IMO.

Tatar will also need to be re-signed at the end of this season. Yes, he'll be an RFA, but it will be his third contract, and we should expect it to be a fair chunk of change because the majority of the years we'll be paying for will be UFA years.

All together, with his level of play, that's probably a step backwards for Anaheim.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada

I'm not sure Tatar, Jurco and Pulkkinen do anything other than fill out the roster with cheap players under contract. Fowler is a very good D man. Still, I'm not sure what the other possibilities are.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Tatar will also need to be re-signed at the end of this season. Yes, he'll be an RFA, but it will be his third contract, and we should expect it to be a fair chunk of change because the majority of the years we'll be paying for will be UFA years.

All together, with his level of play, that's probably a step backwards for Anaheim.

I'm not sure Tatar, Jurco and Pulkkinen do anything other than fill out the roster with cheap players under contract. Fowler is a very good D man. Still, I'm not sure what the other possibilities are.

Agree with both posts here.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
___, Getz, Perry
Cogs, Kesler, Silf
____, Rakell, ____
Garbutt, Wagner, Boll/Raymond

We still need at least to mid 6 caliber forwards. Really hoping for Tatar, AA at this point. I agree though, he's not having nearly as bad of an offseason as everyone is making it out to be. He's just playing the field. Think we have a solid Goalie tandem ATM.
Trading Fowler for Tatar and either Sheahan or AA would indeed fill 2 of those 3 slots.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015

I'd make the move if it's proven during the season that some of our AHL call ups can't get the job done.

As it stands right now, guys like Ritchie, Noesen, kerdilles, Kase ect will need to be productive NHL players next season.

Another factor in this is waiting to see what version of Despres we get. And How Theodore develops.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'd make the move if it's proven during the season that some of our AHL call ups can't get the job done.

As it stands right now, guys like Ritchie, Noesen, kerdilles, Kase ect will need to be productive NHL players next season.

not me. I'd rather pay teams with cap space an asset to take Stoner. Then I'd trade someone more valuable for a pick (Cogs or Despres most likely). Then I'd start bargain bin shopping. Rather do both of these before selling low on Fowler.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada

Another factor in this is waiting to see what version of Despres we get. And How Theodore develops.

Theodore has to be a lock at this point no? One of the D men will have to be moved I think. Who it is....not sure.

The urgency from Detroit would suggest that they would want to do a trade before the start of the season IMO. If one subscribes to the theory that they don't want to waive four guys, then the trade has to happen before that, if one is to be done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad