Confirmed with Link: Ducks acquire Henrique+ from Devils for Vatanen

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I agree with the bolded part. Fowler's shooting ability took a big step forward last year and he supplanted Vats.

People who claim Vatanen has struggled are, in my opinion, basing much of that on his lack of offensive production. He has had some struggles returning from injury, but most of the reduced production was because he had fallen behind Montour, Fowler, and Lindholm in terms of his power play time and other offensive opportunities. On the ducks, he's underutilized - on most other teams he would get first team power play time (as he has in the past with the Ducks), but he hasn't been of late. Simply put, he's not as valuable on the ducks given the diminished role he had (and would have continued to have). I think he'll do really well in NJ if he's given the right role.
I was glad to see Cam's offense start to show some life last year, but I'm not really so sure he is better at QBing the PP than Sami would be. Not that it matters any more. But I think the point Cullen made was that Sami was being put in a reduced offensive role here. As such, he probably wasn't going to reach his offensive potential. Given that, I'm OK with the deal we made.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I was glad to see Cam's offense start to show some life last year, but I'm not really so sure he is better at QBing the PP than Sami would be. Not that it matters any more. But I think the point Cullen made was that Sami was being put in a reduced offensive role here. As such, he probably wasn't going to reach his offensive potential. Given that, I'm OK with the deal we made.

If Sami could successfully QB our PP then I would bet that he wouldn't have been traded. Sami has been given opportunities and has not consistently been able to demonstrate that he can QB a PP.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If Sami could successfully QB our PP then I would bet that he wouldn't have been traded. Sami has been given opportunities and has not consistently been able to demonstrate that he can QB a PP.
Well, not when Getzlaf stands at the half wall with it for most of the time. In all fairness, no D really QBs a Ducks PP when Getz is out there.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
This is about monty steping up and building depth in the middle of ice. When healthy hopefully vermette gets 5 mins a game to take dzoe draws

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I agree with the bolded part. Fowler's shooting ability took a big step forward last year and he supplanted Vats.

People who claim Vatanen has struggled are, in my opinion, basing much of that on his lack of offensive production. He has had some struggles returning from injury, but most of the reduced production was because he had fallen behind Montour, Fowler, and Lindholm in terms of his power play time and other offensive opportunities. On the ducks, he's underutilized - on most other teams he would get first team power play time (as he has in the past with the Ducks), but he hasn't been of late. Simply put, he's not as valuable on the ducks given the diminished role he had (and would have continued to have). I think he'll do really well in NJ if he's given the right role.
I know you can’t judge based on the personnel we have on both units right now, but Sami as been on PP1 pretty much since he came back. Him and Montour have remained the two point men even after Fowler came back.

Oct 18, 2011
This is a good trade for us if we get healthy. Henrique can slide into that 3c spot with say Kase and Perry and give us that advantage we need to get over the hump.

Also this allows us to have a playable 4th line as long as RC doesn't play Boll. Wagner/Vermette is better than most other teams fourth lines.

I hope that this leads to Larsson or whomever getting broken in. I don't want a Bieksa/Beauch third pair.

Hopefully this helps us whether the injuries. I think if healthy, on paper Anaheim has arguably the best roster in the league, again that's if we have everyone IMO that's based on Henrique at center, and if cogs leaves you can play him with Kes and Silf next year

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Oooh a 3v3 goal. Any success in OT is sorely needed.

It is very possible he comes in really motivated on a new team and helps right the ship with some offense until you guys get healthy.

I just wouldn’t expect too much. Kid’s downside is going to keep him from becoming more then a JAG long term and I expect you put him in the AHL once your healthy.

Definitely not a bad kid to have as a depth call up, though I believe he is about 20 or so games away from having to clear waivers.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I just checked what C with a CAP between 2.5m - 4.5m do exist at cap friendly and Henrique is one of the logical answers. Most other players are on teams not in for a D like Vats. To be honest I would have prefered Zacha but I doubt he was on the table and you simpley know what you get with Henrique. A little bit surprising for me, his contract is front loaded and he will make 5.5m next year. So hopefully he fits ;-)

Blandisi reminds me a little bit of the Bonino trade. A player with the tools who is mainly not on the radar but could surprise us.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
The more I see of Blandisi, the more he comes across as a forward's Luca Sbisa. Has pretty much all the tools to become a good, if not very good, NHL player - but lacks the toolbox. He can skate, he has some vision, he can shoot, stickhandle, hustle, check etc. - but he doesn't necessarily do it at the right moment. Might become a high risk/high reward player if utilized right.

tjules25

Jun 23, 2017
Devil's season ticket holder here...I think henrique is going to fit in really well with how the ducks want to run their offense...his speed isn't anything to write home about but he makes up for it in creativity and when he puts the effort in he can really be a difference maker. Only bad thing really about henrique is that sometimes he doesn't put the effort in.

Now on blandisi. Really nothing to write home about. He has skill and creativity but often tries to do more than what he's capable of. He really needs to be put on a line with some skill or else he's useless. He projects more around the low to mid teens in points. I'd say he's more of an AHL add at this point.

Be excited about henrique though, he's gonna bring some PK and PP skill that's needed on everyteam in the league

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I like this trade a lot. One of the issues in the past has been Getzlaf and Kesler being dead tired at the end of games because they play 22-23+ mins. It will help over the course of the season too. Henrique will definitely be utilized a lot by Randy.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Most people here seem to be seeing Henrique as our 3rd line center. The Devils fans have said that he is a better winger now, and has been playing there for a while, that can play center in a pinch but is poor at face offs. Once Getzlaf and Kesler are healthy, do we really think "Rico" will stay at center? Since Grant has stepped up, and is better at face offs, I wonder if he'd play at 3C. And have Rico just be a better left wing option if Ritchie or Cogs aren't giving us enough. Hearing about his play style, it sounds like he could look really good on the wing with Getzlaf and Perry.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Wagner has been good at center as well. Vermette obviously is a beast on faceoffs, we have a lot of options.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Shaw, Wagner, Henrique, Vermette, Grant, Rakell, Getz, Kesler can all play center. Could you imagine how confusing it'd be to have Bruce and his blender with these players?

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Shaw, Wagner, Henrique, Vermette, Grant, Rakell, Getz, Kesler can all play center. Could you imagine how confusing it'd be to have Bruce and his blender with these players?

That would be a nightmare. None of our players would have any idea what position they were playing from one day to the next.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
really like this trade

i like sami but his play has been really unimpressive this season. plus BM managed to acquire henrique AND blandisi who's got some good potential from what i've heard

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
I disagree with my fellow Devil's fans. I believe that Blandisi actually has potential to be a top 6 forward. He has shown flashes of it in the past and he seems more motivated this season than any other. He's a really good skater with good speed. He needs skilled teammates to succeed.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
24 hours later, still liking the trade

Henrique has had a rough start to the season and wasn't great last season, but that may because of the role he had put in. We got him to play a more offensive minded game and most importantly a LH shot for the PP, which we've been lacking. I think he plays center until Kesler and Getlzaf are healthy, then will put on a line with Getzlaf and will do fantastic there.

Blandisi seems underrated. He looks like a great forechecker which we know Carlyle loves, but can get lost defensively. He has the skill to play in the middle 6. I think once everyone is healthy, he will go the minors where we'll teach him defensively, and will be a great callup when injuries happen.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I think Sami is much smaller than Montour and Fowler. Remember Kariya was listed at 5'10"... the small guys lie about this big time.

The biggest problem with Sami is we couldn't pair him with the right guy. As sad as it was Stoner was his best partner. I think Sami will do well in NJ because he will be in the right system / conference. His deficiencies won't look as bad as they did here.

And as long as Bieksa is here, our 3rd pairing will be a train wreck.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Most people here seem to be seeing Henrique as our 3rd line center. The Devils fans have said that he is a better winger now, and has been playing there for a while, that can play center in a pinch but is poor at face offs. Once Getzlaf and Kesler are healthy, do we really think "Rico" will stay at center? Since Grant has stepped up, and is better at face offs, I wonder if he'd play at 3C. And have Rico just be a better left wing option if Ritchie or Cogs aren't giving us enough. Hearing about his play style, it sounds like he could look really good on the wing with Getzlaf and Perry.

I was thinking that AH might be the solution for replacing Eaves on the top line, since we don't know how long Eaves may be out (could never play again). Grant has shown a lot in his stint as a 1C that he can take that confidence as a 3C. Vermette's line can be the energy 4th line and play on the 2nd PP unit. That means Wagner gets to play on the wing! That could boast the third line of Wags-Grant- Kase/Blandisi? A fourth line of Roy-Vermette-Ritchie. Whoa... can actually roll four lines?!

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I think Sami is much smaller than Montour and Fowler. Remember Kariya was listed at 5'10"... the small guys lie about this big time.

The biggest problem with Sami is we couldn't pair him with the right guy. As sad as it was Stoner was his best partner. I think Sami will do well in NJ because he will be in the right system / conference. His deficiencies won't look as bad as they did here.

And as long as Bieksa is here, our 3rd pairing will be a train wreck.

This is actually why I've been in favor of trading Vatanen for 2+ years now. You mention that he was good with Stoner. I agree, but he was good with Stoner on the 3rd pairing, getting the most favorable matchups. The only time I can ever remember Sami being great in a top 4 role was 2 years ago when he got paired with Lindholm in the playoffs. Otherwise, he's been fairly underwhelming in a top 4 role. Not awful, but pretty "meh" IMO.

All that said, still not a big fan of the deal. Don't hate it, but I would have rather traded something smaller for Bozak, and then dealt Vatanen for a better return in the offseason, which I think we could have received. The most frustrating part about this trade IMO is that it didn't happen pre ED. Should have just traded Vatanen before the ED if this was the return.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This is actually why I've been in favor of trading Vatanen for 2+ years now. You mention that he was good with Stoner. I agree, but he was good with Stoner on the 3rd pairing, getting the most favorable matchups. The only time I can ever remember Sami being great in a top 4 role was 2 years ago when he got paired with Lindholm in the playoffs. Otherwise, he's been fairly underwhelming in a top 4 role. Not awful, but pretty "meh" IMO.

All that said, still not a big fan of the deal. Don't hate it, but I would have rather traded something smaller for Bozak, and then dealt Vatanen for a better return in the offseason, which I think we could have received. The most frustrating part about this trade IMO is that it didn't happen pre ED. Should have just traded Vatanen before the ED if this was the return.

The third pairing in 15-16 wasn't really a typical third pairing matchup wise though, Yawney/BB were basically rolling out all three pairings equally, didn't even bother matching up the dmen (just the forward lines) and all pairings got equal PK time. I don't buy that Vatanen started struggling in 16-17 because of matchups and QOC, something else changed (whether it was the shoulder injury, coaching, confidence, getting a shiny new contract I don't know) that made him stop being the player he was.

I completely agree with your last paragraph about the timing and what I would have preferred Murray to do. I will give Murray credit on getting somewhat of an ok return for a guy who was struggling but if Sami does bounce back then we've essentially sold extremely low on him and it looks bad for us. If he keeps struggling then it looks very good for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad