Confirmed with Link: Ducks acquire Henrique+ from Devils for Vatanen

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
The third pairing in 15-16 wasn't really a typical third pairing matchup wise though, Yawney/BB were basically rolling out all three pairings equally, didn't even bother matching up the dmen (just the forward lines) and all pairings got equal PK time. I don't buy that Vatanen started struggling in 16-17 because of matchups and QOC, something else changed (whether it was the shoulder injury, coaching, confidence, getting a shiny new contract I don't know) that made him stop being the player he was.

I completely agree with your last paragraph about the timing and what I would have preferred Murray to do. I will give Murray credit on getting somewhat of an ok return for a guy who was struggling but if Sami does bounce back then we've essentially sold extremely low on him and it looks bad for us. If he keeps struggling then it looks very good for us.

You're right that it was not your traditional "3rd pairing", but I definitely think they had more favorable matchups than the other two pairings. My point is that aside from a small stretch with Lindholm; Vatanen has never looked nearly as good as he looked that season in a larger role. That's always the concern I had with him. I just wish we would have capitalized on his trade value after that 15/16 season. I think he would have returned a much larger return.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Most people here seem to be seeing Henrique as our 3rd line center. The Devils fans have said that he is a better winger now, and has been playing there for a while, that can play center in a pinch but is poor at face offs. Once Getzlaf and Kesler are healthy, do we really think "Rico" will stay at center? Since Grant has stepped up, and is better at face offs, I wonder if he'd play at 3C. And have Rico just be a better left wing option if Ritchie or Cogs aren't giving us enough. Hearing about his play style, it sounds like he could look really good on the wing with Getzlaf and Perry.
Yeah, from what i also read it appears Henrique is as much of a Center as Rakell is.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yeah, from what i also read it appears Henrique is as much of a Center as Rakell is.

From what I’ve seen of him I definitely think he makes a better winger too. He isn’t creative enough and doesn’t drive the play enough to be a full time centre IMO. That said I think he will make a great winger with on a line with someone who can create offence like Getzlaf or to a lesser extent Kase if he ends up on the third line.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Wagner is fine on faceoffs about 13% below Vermette which is really nothing. He just played 7 minutes in the 1st period and spent 2 minutes in the box while winning all 4 faceoffs he took. It already looks like a world of different with Henrique in the 1 spot. Man with the goaltending and D the Ducks have, I really believe this team can a make a run at it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
From what I’ve seen of him I definitely think he makes a better winger too. He isn’t creative enough and doesn’t drive the play enough to be a full time centre IMO. That said I think he will make a great winger with on a line with someone who can create offence like Getzlaf or to a lesser extent Kase if he ends up on the third line.

Pretty much nailed it. He is better off cleaning up after a good playmaker. He has a good shot, and isn’t afraid to go into the dirty areas.

Put him next to one of your top centers, ideally on the 2nd line and he should do well.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Getzlaf makes Penner, Maroon, Ritchie look like goal scorers, I am sure he will look like a star next to him.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Henrique with 3 points in 3 games so far for the Ducks and Vatanen with 0 points in 3 games so far for the Devils in 3 games. Happy to see Henrique able to produce so well with his new Ducks team.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I like him so far. I've been impressed with his ability to defend, seems to be very reliable. He's not a dynamic offensive player, but it looks like he can complement better forwards.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Henrique with 3 points in 3 games so far for the Ducks and Vatanen with 0 points in 3 games so far for the Devils in 3 games. Happy to see Henrique able to produce so well with his new Ducks team.

3 primary assists as well, including 2 beauty stretch passes to send Roy and Perry in on breakaways. He's been a good pickup and should only get better when he's not relied on to be a #1C.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Henrique is great but man are we thin on the backend now. still somewhat frustrated that we don't have Vatanen or Theodore now.

Reactions: Paul4587

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Henrique is great but man are we thin on the backend now. still somewhat frustrated that we don't have Vatanen or Theodore now.

Thought we would see some Larsson but I guess he is hurt? Megna doesn't seem to be cutting it. Would like to see Welinski get a shot.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Vatanen finished his 4th game tonight with the Devils and still hasn't gotten a point with his new team but he did play 26:04 in tonight's game.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m curious to see if he can bounce back or if his regression was permanent. He was a hell of a Dman for us in 15-16.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
If New Jersey plan on Vatanen being their #1 (or a top pairing guy) long term I think they are going to be in some trouble.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Vats offense will come over time when the shoulder will be healed further. Right now he is showing he can play even without his offense

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Vats offense will come over time when the shoulder will be healed further. Right now he is showing he can play even without his offense
He's showed this for a while. He can defend, or he can put up points, but he hasn't shown that he can do both yet. I don't think he's a two-way defender, but maybe he has some more development in him.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He's showed this for a while. He can defend, or he can put up points, but he hasn't shown that he can do both yet. I don't think he's a two-way defender, but maybe he has some more development in him.
Of course I also don`t know for sure, but I think he can, eventually. Now he has a chance to be the leader and be used in those opportunities, while in Anaheim he sometimes was put behind other guys. I think NJ and Vats is a great match.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Vatanen a -3 in tonight's game playing 20:36 and still yet to pick up a point with his new team. I wonder when he will finally get a point with the Devils.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Vatanen a -3 in tonight's game playing 20:36 and still yet to pick up a point with his new team. I wonder when he will finally get a point with the Devils.

Not a good start. I've not seen the games but the stats doesn't look good. Hope he recovers, I'd hate to see him get blamed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad