Confirmed with Link: Ducks acquire Henrique+ from Devils for Vatanen

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Instead it's better keep Santini, Severson or Lovejoy there. :huh: (But yeah, it tells we don't have any legitimate first pair Dmen.)
Oh for sure, not many options on the back end (though technically Lovejoy has shown more as a top pairing guy then Vatanen ever has :sarcasm: :laugh:). More along the lines of if the Devils want to compete down the line they'll need to move him off the top pair as the guy (even when he was at his best) hasn't shown he can handle that type of role.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
From Friedman's thoughts...

24. I liked that Anaheim/New Jersey trade for both teams. The Devils badly wanted a right-shot defender, with several players indicating they liked their chances for the playoffs if one landed in Newark. It’s probably a relief for Sami Vatanen that the rumours are finally over, since there’d been so many.
Arizona, Montreal and Toronto were among those that took very long looks at him. Adam Henrique is going to thrive around that massive, nasty team once everyone is healthy. The interesting one will be Joseph Blandisi. At 23, he’s been close to a point-per-game AHL player, but hasn’t done it at the higher level. You get some scouts who really like him and some that really don’t. The Ducks tend to evaluate extremely well. I’m curious to see how it unfolds.

Reactions: Yemeth and Vipers31

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Of course I also don`t know for sure, but I think he can, eventually. Now he has a chance to be the leader and be used in those opportunities, while in Anaheim he sometimes was put behind other guys. I think NJ and Vats is a great match.

Honestly, I always felt that being behind other guys was to Vatanen’s benefit. It was kind of the Sbisa-effect, which is hockey’s equivalent of the cheerleader effect.

That’s not to say that Vatanen isn’t a good player, but Booger is right that he has never shown he can be a stable defensive presence in a top 4 role, while also producing at a 40+ rate. That type of production has only ever come as a result of adjusted 3rd pairing even strength minutes, and top PP unit opportunities.

I use the Sbisa comparison very loosely here, because Vatanen is a good player in his own right. Sbisa was a product of a favorable situation, while Vatanen simply benefited from it. It’s difficult to separate the situation from the player, but based on what he’s shown I kind of expect more of the same.

Reactions: mightyquack

Claudi27

Mar 28, 2008
Barcelona
I'm a huge fan of Henrique so I'm kinda sad he left but happy he's managed to adapt really quickly with 6 points in 6 games.

To me Henrique is a very good player on a great contract, he won't put up top of the ladder numbers in the season mainly because his game is not really about offense and putting up numbers, he's probably not the best for possession hockey either, because he's not that huge and can suffer in the corners, he does however have the skills that any coach would want in one of his players, he can be a filler as a 1st line RW, ideally a 2nd line RW with a balanced offense/defense role, he can play the shut down forward role as a 3rd line RW too, but at the moment due to his age and the fact that he's pretty much on his prime, you have to take advantage of his physical ability on offense.

I mean by this that maybe in 4/5 years down the road Henrique has taken some damage to his legs and speed is no longer one of his weapons, it will then probably be time for Adam to adapt to a slower paced 3rd line role with limited offensive expectations, but right now he's 100% physically and it shows on offense. He however lacks the offensive "capacity" or "potential" to carry a 1st line, probably a 2nd too playing C in the NHL. To me he's more of a winger, he drives the net, has a scoring touch, can pass, hit, and play a very responsible defensive game.

He's got the head and mentality of a Hall of Famer and the physical ability of a bonafide 1st line winger, he just lacks softer, quicker hands, explosivity/jump to his game and a few inches to be a dominant RW.

He's a very likeable player and a true professional.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Henrique is awesome defensively

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
excellent trade for us. fills a huge hole and should give us 3 excellent lines when Kessler is back.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Now it is to 8 games without a point for Vatanen. Even when Devils have a high scoring game he can't pick up a single point :amazed:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I use the Sbisa comparison very loosely here, because Vatanen is a good player in his own right. Sbisa was a product of a favorable situation, while Vatanen simply benefited from it. It’s difficult to separate the situation from the player, but based on what he’s shown I kind of expect more of the same.
Also Vatanen never caused someone to lose a fist fight just by being in the lineup.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Now it is to 8 games without a point for Vatanen. Even when Devils have a high scoring game he can't pick up a single point :amazed:

Devils fan here, I never understood the need for fans who's teams trade with each other to not hope that a trade can work great for both organizations?!

It most be one of two reasons:

1) need to justify the trade by saying things like this (look up) because you feel like the other team won.
2) don't know hockey or how it will look further down the line.

I'm so glad Henrique is doing well with you guys, great character and a real good player in my opinion. He wasn't the most popular on our board but I liked him because he brings much more then only points.

About vatanen, our team is winning and collecting points and he is playing top line minutes. Great player you develope, do I expect him to start putting up points, off course. It will come.

Good game tonight to all the ducks fans.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Devils fan here, I never understood the need for fans who's teams trade with each other to not hope that a trade can work great for both organizations?!

1) need to justify the trade by saying things like this (look up) because you feel like the other team won.

I'm so glad Henrique is doing well with you guys, great character and a real good player in my opinion. He wasn't the most popular on our board but I liked him because he brings much more then only points.

About vatanen, our team is winning and collecting points and he is playing top line minutes. Great player you develope, do I expect him to start putting up points, off course. It will come.

Nobody here is hoping Vats doesn't do well. If anything we are surprised that such a good D-man (Sami) has been held pointless.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Not sure what you're on about but no one here wishes Vats anything but the best. Expressing surprise that he hasn't produced a point yet doesn't mean one is gloating over the deal.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
vats was very well liked here. There are just still some questions on if he can regain his form from a few years ago which got him his contract. we weren't sure when he was a duck and don't know now he is a devil. if he does, the deal looks a lot better for you. if he doesn't this was a much better deal for us.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Vatanen will score tonight

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
I'm assuming he's talking about the main board thread on the trade board. You're right though; there's not one person here who is hoping that Vatanen doesn't do well.
To nice of a guy and we saw him grow from a lil yellow duckling on the pond to a nice waterfowl that flys south for the winter in order to avoid hunting season

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
Nobody here is hoping Vats doesn't do well. If anything we are surprised that such a good D-man (Sami) has been held pointless.

I also don't agree on his assessment that Henrique wasn't very popular on the Devils board.

Almost everyone loves Henrique, some just were wanting more consistency from him and there were debates on how the devils could afford him (or if it would be wise to) once he is due for next pay raise.

Henrique will always be loved by the Devils' faithful for his "it's over!" goal.

Guy is a solid hockey player and an even better person.

Reactions: DVision44

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Did I say I am happy Vatanen isn't producing? I am just amazed he still hasn't picked up a point after so many games.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00