Confirmed with Link: Ducks acquire Henrique+ from Devils for Vatanen

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Ideally, I would have liked to see Vats moved in a package for a top line forward - Drouin, Duchene, Galchenyuk, ect. I just don't think Vats has played well enough in the last year to justify being the centerpiece in a deal like that. It was time to make a deal, and if we couldn't get a Top Line player, I think the package we received was more that adequate. I think we are a better team after this move, as we traded from a position of strength.

The Ducks have done a phenomenal job of building a huge cupboard of quality defensmen. I was excited at the prospect of capitalizing on that and trading for some elite offense. Unfortunately, Despres injury and expansion draft limited our gains.

Reactions: Boogernaut

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
is Blandisi any good?

I actually like him a lot. Problem is the Devils have so many young skilled forwards he couldnt crack the NHL.

He has some sick moves though, and he's pretty fast. I think he'll probably end up being solid in the gimmick too.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Henrique isn’t the perfect return but Vatanens value was trending downwards and something needed to be done to stop the bleeding up front. So credit to Murray for getting a 20 goal guy and a bottom 6 type for Vatanen.

If Vats bounces back this could bite us in the ass but I’m not overly worried about that. I am worried about a Beauchemin Bieksa third pairing though.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
You guys will love Henrique for half the season and hate him for half the season. He is very streaky as he is invisible when cold and dominant when hot. He is amazing in the locker room though and even designed Keith Kinkaids pads last year. Google "pads of seduction Keith kinkaid". Your welcome lol

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
He hasn't been himself offensively(could be from the injury)... In his own zone I'm guessing the teams injuries played a big part in that the forwards just havnt been good enough to keep the puck out of our own end. Mentally in Anaheim he was maybe trying to do too much to make up for the injuries and hurting his play in the process(this last part is more of a guess/observation)

I think hell be good for you guys, I think you guys have a good team going and hell likely be able to open up his game a bit. I don't think he was ever really a great fit with RC and that prob hurt him a bit too.

Agreed on Vats. All of the D have looked bad to some extent... trying to do too much because they have been getting sol little support from the forwards. In Vatanen's case I'd say this was exacerbated by coming back from injury, having to spend a lot of time playing his off side, and having to lug Bieksa around quite often. Also, RC's system sucks.

I'm hoping Henrique surprises me, but my general feeling is that we lost this trade in value.

This is made worse by the idea that with Vats gone I'm pretty sure that RC's go-to guy to pick up Sami's minutes is going to Beiksa. Especially with Monotur out... it could look *really* ugly for a while. (does this also mean that they're going to want to re-sign Bieksa now? because we dont really have any other RHD)

Reactions: broman

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
As other have said, I'm sorry to see Sami go. Can't argue with the return given how his game had been trending down. Hopefully his game fits in better with the Devils. It's hard for me to think it won't.

Best of luck to ya Sami! :thumbu:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Imagine they both go right onto the roster.

Like the trade...Vatman has been trending downward for a while, but I think a change of scenery will serve him well. This adds another 20 goal scorer to Anaheim and a nice young player to boot. I'll take it.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Great return for Vatanen who hasn't looked like getting back anywhere close to his old self anytime soon. And a nice ease of the worries of Vatanen losing too much more value.

Hopefully one more forward and some health and we're looking good.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
As for Blandisi aka Blender or Nintenjoe 64. He definitely has offensive talent and a great motor. He reads the offensive ice well and has a decent shot.

His skating is a mess though. Was nicknamed Bambisi because he often looks like Bambi on ice with the way he falls down.

He isn’t very good defensively at all, and can be undisplicned as all hell. He takes way too many penalities. I think his “diving” rep is overstated and he has grown out of that so I wouldn’t worry too much there.

Overall he can still put it together to become something decent in the NHL but I wouldn’t hold out too much hope of that.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I saw an article where Henrique tweeted to the fans saying:

"Thank you New Jersey! I'll never forget you, I hope you'll never forget me. For now..... "It's Over"

Then had a bunch of fans saying see you soon, when you don't re-sign in ANA and come back to us as a UFA.

I hope this isn't the way this goes.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I read that Henrique's faceoff win% is similar to Rakell, so maybe when everyone is healthy he'll move back to LW ?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I saw an article where Henrique tweeted to the fans saying:

"Thank you New Jersey! I'll never forget you, I hope you'll never forget me. For now..... "It's Over"

Then had a bunch of fans saying see you soon, when you don't re-sign in ANA and come back to us as a UFA.

I hope this isn't the way this goes.

It won’t. Shero straight up admitted part of the reason this happened because he wasn’t sure Rico would be resigned.

Marcus Johansson is up for a new contract the same year and Hall not soon after. We simply weren’t going to hand out big raises to all three especially with some of the kids coming off their ELCs.

Rico always looked like the odd man out since he was a hold over from the last regime and doesn’t quite fit with Shero’s vision of the team now.

You are just reading Devils fans having an emotional time with this breakup. He was very much beloved here for good reason. Overall great guy and scored an all time great goal in Devils history.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Rico wanted to come back here if it was an option as he loved it here (and so far is the only team he knows), but I don’t think the door will be open and I think he will adjust and like it out here with you guys soon enough.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Glad Rico landed in a spot I can root for him. He will infuriate you at times, but he is the kind of guy you want on your team at crunch time.

Reactions: IDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad