Speculation: Ducks 6th overall

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
What makes them need to be protected? All 3 are on their ELCs, same as Kaprizov in Minnesota and we know he's exempt.

The Ducks players are all 3rd year pros. Kaprizov is exempt because he hasn't played 3 years in the AHL/NHL not because he's on his ELC.

From CapFriendly:
First & Second Year Pros
All players who have accrued two or less professional seasons at the end of the 2020-21 season, as well as all unsigned draft choices appearing on the teams reserve list, will be exempt from the upcoming expansion draft.

Jones/Steel/Lundestrom all just finished their 2nd pro seasons so they all require protection.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The Ducks players are all 3rd year pros. Kaprizov is exempt because he hasn't played 3 years in the AHL/NHL not because he's on his ELC.

From CapFriendly:

Jones/Steel/Lundestrom all just finished their 2nd pro seasons so they all require protection.

Crazy. Could've sworn it was just ELC contracts. Thanks.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I had Abruzzese 6th on the Leafs prospect list. He's tracking well. He scored 44 points in 31 games in college in his first season, though he was already 20. I have Sandin, Robertson, Liljegren, Hallander and Korshkov higher on the list, all top-60 picks. Many people have him ahead of Hallander and Korshkov, he's generally ranked 4-6 in the pool.

So it still doesn't get them a top line line driver or top 4 RHD. I don't think the Ducks trade the 6th overall for anything less than another pick in the top 10 plus a sweetener or a good, young top line/top pair player. I'm guessing Abruzzese, if he works out, is more on the level of like Lundestrom or Steel. A good player, but we have guys that will be in that range. We need elite talent and the 6th has a higher chance.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Nothing to work with there. The Ducks are way better off taking a shot at drafting an elite young player at six. If those pieces were the type we would want to build around, you wouldn't be piling them up for a draft pick.

Respect that you opt to go that direction, but let's be clear.
Rangers consider my offer only b'c we have other aspects on the horizon both in terms of emerging youth and others requiring $.

My offer had value and was sufficiently talented, but bottom line is a guy like Buch has to yield to Chytil, etc.
Unless those guys were way better than Kappo, Kravtsov, etc, all who need mins, they would present my offer and if it is not a fit for Ducks on this turn, something similar will be made elsewhere.

I mean its decently valued trade(but i dont think its something the ducks would be into)

Essentially we get Buch, seems like a 2nd line winger.... a PPQB/top 4 RHD in Deangelo and 22OA.

We could possibly move 22 + 27 and try to get back in the top 15.

But where the ducks are as a team i think our biggest need is elite talent, and really the only way to get that is through the draft... so unless were trading that 6th overall for like a Patrick Laine(or a top 12 pick +), i dont really see us moving it... i think our team just wanted to see what types of offers we might get... some teams in the top 12-15 might want to trade up to claim a guy like Askarov rossi or Drysdale.

Appreciate that you thought value was sufficient even tho not a fit.
As for specific assets, I thought NY retaining 1.5 on Deangelo was signif, but apparently not.
Thanks for the share.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I would keep the pick if I'm the Ducks and take either Raymond or Drysdale. (I'm educated guessing Det goes Perfetti at 4)

Unless someone is losing their minds to jump up and get the Goalie.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I’d love for the Rangers to go from #22 to #6 and grab Sanderson but I doubt the Ducks drop out of the top 10. If they have guys grouped closely then maybe they drop down a few slots and grab a 2.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
No one works harder than bern trying to hustle Buch and ADA here.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
As an Ottawa fan I’d probably do that. Then look to package 27 and 28 together with possibly 33 to move up

Ducks should have no business doing that. I can't see it costing the 27th to move up one spot from 6 to 5.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
As an Ottawa fan I’d probably do that. Then look to package 27 and 28 together with possibly 33 to move up

As a Ducks fan, I wouldn't touch that. A first to move up one spot? And it's not even a quality/tier difference like 3 to 4. One of Raymond/Rossi/Drysdale will be there at 6, I'd rather just take whoever falls to 6.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
If the pick was in play I'd offer Nylander, 15th overall, liljegren and 44th overall for manson and 6th overall.

I think this is a solid deal, if the Leafs don't plan on taking a run at Pietrangelo and if there's someone they're in love with at #6. Willie would be so tough to lose.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
This could just be the Ducks putting it out there and seeing if someone is willing to overpay too. If, say, Buffalo or Minnesota views a guy available at 6 MUCH higher than the guys after him and that player is linked to Anaheim or New Jersey, would they make a desperation move to get that player? If the pick is moved, it's probably not dropping down more than a few spots.

I think this is a big part of it.

In addition the draft has a clear first 3, but after that, player evaluations vary wildly and you have an elite goalie who is a total wildcard. The fifth or sixth picks are the obvious spot to trade up to get the guy a team has fallen in love with. Could be Askarov, or Drysdale/Sanderson. And with the current rumor that Detroit and/or Ottawa is on Askarov, it means one of the highly regarded forwards (and perhaps both Drysdale and Sanders) will be there at 6. So the bottom line is the ducks pick is at a very interesting spot and trading down a few spots might be worth it depending on what's offered.

I posted this on the ducks board, but I could actually see NJ trading something to swap 6/7, just to ensure teams don't trade up ahead of them. For example if NJ has Sanderson or Askarov targeted and only one is available. Ducks might make a trade if they've targeted a different player.

Reactions: lwvs84

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
In 2005 8OA was traded for 12OA and a 2nd.

So yeah not far off.
- 2005 wasn't as deep at the top as 2020 is said to be
- 6 is better than 8 and 12 is much closer than 15
- it was actually a 2nd (#49) and a 7th (#207)
- i wouldn't trade #49 in this draft for johnsson

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If the pick was in play I'd offer Nylander, 15th overall, liljegren and 44th overall for manson and 6th overall.

thats terrible.

Nylander > pick 6
Liljegren, 15, 44 > Manson

leafs keep willy,lily and the picks and just sign pietrangelo/brodie/tanev/hamonic etc

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
So the main question is, who, from 7-12 is willing to trade up? And what will they offer?

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I’d love for the Rangers to go from #22 to #6 and grab Sanderson but I doubt the Ducks drop out of the top 10. If they have guys grouped closely then maybe they drop down a few slots and grab a 2.

Depends on the offer. Nils Lundkvist + 22nd overall may be something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad