Speculation: Ducks 6th overall

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The cost for Arizona to jump from #14 to #11 in the 2019 draft was a 2nd rounder. #9 to #6 in this draft is probably going to hurt.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the idea overall. It seems like we're getting a comparable player at either pick. But if they really think 9 to 6 is the difference between a long term answer at center and even better winger depth? I could see it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well if you think that then it's obviously a horrendous deal for the Leafs
I think it def favors Anaheim a bit, Anaheim would prob need to add a lil.

Toronto fans generally think any deal is bad like I’ve seen Toronto fans say Manson + 6 for nylander which is absurd

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the idea overall. It seems like we're getting a comparable player at either pick. But if they really think 9 to 6 is the difference between a long term answer at center and even better winger depth? I could see it.
Realistically you guys want Rossi I assume, what’s the next option at center after Rossi?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
No

15th + Johnsson for 6th

Johnsson is no/negative value to the Ducks, not a chance they trade 9 spots back for a player they don't need. It would take a massive add, not a guy the Leafs are trying to dump. But they'll give you the 27th for that package.

IF the Ducks trade the 6th, it's doubtful it's out of the top 10 and for another asset they want (probably a 1st/2nd round pick depending on how far back they trade).

Reactions: bernmeister

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Realistically you guys want Rossi I assume, what’s the next option at center after Rossi?
Lundell, but there are too many questions around all those guys to really know where the front office's head is at.

1.) Is Rossi really a center? Or does he turn out like Granlund in the NHL?
2.) Does Lundell have enough offensive upside to justify taking him at #9?
3.) How strongly should positional needs drive that decision in the first place?

Like if it's a choice between Lundell and Holtz at 9 I think there's a strong case for taking the winger, positions be damned.

Moving up in this draft just feels like trying to switch checkout lanes at the grocery store: you'll regret it the second you do it.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
In all likelihood they probably just make the pick at six. I doubt this was more than just a generic statement about being open to the possibility of moving down depending on the scenario.

Yup. We see this line every year from multiple teams and yet no club holding a Top 10 pick has traded down since 2008.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Lundell, but there are too many questions around all those guys to really know where the front office's head is at.

1.) Is Rossi really a center? Or does he turn out like Granlund in the NHL?
2.) Does Lundell have enough offensive upside to justify taking him at #9?
3.) How strongly should positional needs drive that decision in the first place?

Like if it's a choice between Lundell and Holtz at 9 I think there's a strong case for taking the winger, positions be damned.

Moving up in this draft just feels like trying to switch checkout lanes at the grocery store: you'll regret it the second you do it.
Maybe but I think the 6 might get traffic if someone like drysdale is there or a team really likes a player that might be there at 8-13

I imagine we were just throwing bait out and see what comes up in offers

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I thought Detroit was attached to Perfetti and the latest rumor has Ottawa a taking Askarov at 5. Not saying it definitely goes down like that but no one knows what happens after the 3rd OA pick is chosen.
Pronman has Detroit linked to Perfetti and Askarov, But has also heard of possibly either Sanderson or Raymond possibly being in the mix as well. I think it's inevitable that we draft Cole Perfetti though.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Teams very rarely trade down in the top 10, and when it does happen it is only a couple places.

If the Ducks trade down I expect it to still be in the top 10.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Teams very rarely trade down in the top 10, and when it does happen it is only a couple places.

If the Ducks trade down I expect it to still be in the top 10.

At this point, you may have say that teams just don’t trade down from Top 10 picks. 11 drafts in a row without one is significant.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
At this point, you may have say that teams just don’t trade down from Top 10 picks. 11 drafts in a row without one is significant.

I could see it happen. Every time Madden has done an interview he has mentioned how the Ducks view 4-12 all the same. Maybe it is posturing, maybe it is legit.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
This could just be the Ducks putting it out there and seeing if someone is willing to overpay too. If, say, Buffalo or Minnesota views a guy available at 6 MUCH higher than the guys after him and that player is linked to Anaheim or New Jersey, would they make a desperation move to get that player? If the pick is moved, it's probably not dropping down more than a few spots.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think it def favors Anaheim a bit, Anaheim would prob need to add a lil.

Toronto fans generally think any deal is bad like I’ve seen Toronto fans say Manson + 6 for nylander which is absurd
Josh Manson (50 retained) + 6th Overall for William Nylander + Justin Holl + Nick Abruzzese + 44th Overall

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Why would you trade a top 10 pick when you're a trash hockey team... no you keep it and rebuild.

Reactions: SnipeNCelly

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Josh Manson (50 retained) + 6th Overall for William Nylander + Justin Holl + Nick Abruzzese + 44th Overall

Something around Manson for 15 OA as a base works better. Ducks need top line line drivers, Nylander is good, but not the player the Ducks need right now. Holl and the 44th overall don't really move the needle either, I don't know much about Abruzzese but I'm guessing he's a prospect that won't hurt Toronto's prospect pool or really help Anaheim's? Looking back at recent drafts, players selected in the 6th-8th overall range end up being better/more valuable than Nylander roughly 50% of the time and Ducks need to bank on that 50%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad