Speculation: Ducks 6th overall

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The 2 guys catching my eye are Dylan Holloway, who will not be there at 22, and Sanderson.
If you are game, I would gamble Sandy still there at 6OA tho there is a chance Sens go there. I could also see w/Chabot a lefty they go elsewhere or take righty RD Drysdale.

1. Deangelo extended to 6 yrs at 6m per, Rangers eat 1.5 retained each year, meaning you pay 4.5 for him with term.
There's your RD

2. 22OA

3. Buchnevich

for

6OA + small/reasonable add we can agree on, prob in futures.

You are moving out of top 10 but you are getting proven asset at bargain price; plus a first you can play with or use; plus a W I'm sure multiple teams would pay to have. Whether that's worth it for you or you prefer to keep as a building piece, at least for starters, is your call.

Buch is a top 6, 3.25 rfa. We simply need to give his mins to Kakko, Chytil, Kravtsov, Gauthier, etc.
Deangelo is totally not a prob short term, but long term, want to make room for Nils L and have $ for perf bonuses, then expiring elcs, then Zib raise.

work with me here...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
In 2005 8OA was traded for 12OA and a 2nd.

So yeah not far off.

That was 15 freakin yrs ago.

It’s pretty far off lol

it’s 5 picks off, and that 6 pick is in position to get a top tier player in the draft

aj is useless to us

yes and yes [not just to you].
Also, is aj recovering from serious injury and the jury is out until he proves he can still cut it at acceptably high rate? Or am I confusing him w/somebody else?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That was 15 freakin yrs ago.

yes and yes [not just to you].
Also, is aj recovering from serious injury and the jury is out until he proves he can still cut it at acceptably high rate? Or am I confusing him w/somebody else?
Nah that’s aj

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

So yeah not far off.

8 OA (a worse pick than 6 OA) was traded for 12 OA (better than 15 OA) and a 2nd rounder (more valuable to the Ducks than AJ). And that was 15 years ago. AJ has negative value to the Ducks so this is HORRIBLE for the Anaheim. Ducks will give you 27th for 15+AJ, but no way for 6th OA.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
1. Deangelo extended to 6 yrs at 6m per, Rangers eat 1.5 retained each year, meaning you pay 4.5 for him with term.
There's your RD

2. 22OA

3. Buchnevich

for

ANA is not trading the 6th pick for DeAngelo.

Reactions: Pia8988

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The 2 guys catching my eye are Dylan Holloway, who will not be there at 22, and Sanderson.
If you are game, I would gamble Sandy still there at 6OA tho there is a chance Sens go there. I could also see w/Chabot a lefty they go elsewhere or take righty RD Drysdale.

There's your RD

2. 22OA

3. Buchnevich

for

You are moving out of top 10 but you are getting proven asset at bargain price; plus a first you can play with or use; plus a W I'm sure multiple teams would pay to have. Whether that's worth it for you or you prefer to keep as a building piece, at least for starters, is your call.

Buch is a top 6, 3.25 rfa. We simply need to give his mins to Kakko, Chytil, Kravtsov, Gauthier, etc.
Deangelo is totally not a prob short term, but long term, want to make room for Nils L and have $ for perf bonuses, then expiring elcs, then Zib raise.

work with me here...

Nothing to work with there. The Ducks are way better off taking a shot at drafting an elite young player at six. If those pieces were the type we would want to build around, you wouldn't be piling them up for a draft pick.

Reactions: lwvs84

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
To me, the Ducks-Wild swap would make sense, especially with that area of the top 10 being so interchangeable. But then thinking about it more, there might be no point.

The Wild moving up would help ensure a better chance to get the centre they may want, like a Perfetti or Rossi, though staying at #9 likely still gives them the option of Lundell and Jarvis, without ponying up an asset.

The Ducks moving down likely kills all chances of them getting Drysdale or Sanderson if that is who they are looking at. Besides, the Ducks going D at #6 would also help the Wild in having a C be there at #9.

I think both teams would be best to stay where they are instead of getting fancy.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

There's your RD

2. 22OA

3. Buchnevich

for

work with me here...
I mean its decently valued trade(but i dont think its something the ducks would be into)

Essentially we get Buch, seems like a 2nd line winger.... a PPQB/top 4 RHD in Deangelo and 22OA.

We could possibly move 22 + 27 and try to get back in the top 15.

But where the ducks are as a team i think our biggest need is elite talent, and really the only way to get that is through the draft... so unless were trading that 6th overall for like a Patrick Laine(or a top 12 pick +), i dont really see us moving it... i think our team just wanted to see what types of offers we might get... some teams in the top 12-15 might want to trade up to claim a guy like Askarov rossi or Drysdale.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Something around Manson for 15 OA as a base works better. Ducks need top line line drivers, Nylander is good, but not the player the Ducks need right now. Holl and the 44th overall don't really move the needle either, I don't know much about Abruzzese but I'm guessing he's a prospect that won't hurt Toronto's prospect pool or really help Anaheim's? Looking back at recent drafts, players selected in the 6th-8th overall range end up being better/more valuable than Nylander roughly 50% of the time and Ducks need to bank on that 50%.
I had Abruzzese 6th on the Leafs prospect list. He's tracking well. He scored 44 points in 31 games in college in his first season, though he was already 20. I have Sandin, Robertson, Liljegren, Hallander and Korshkov higher on the list, all top-60 picks. Many people have him ahead of Hallander and Korshkov, he's generally ranked 4-6 in the pool.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
To me, the Ducks-Wild swap would make sense, especially with that area of the top 10 being so interchangeable. But then thinking about it more, there might be no point.

The Wild moving up would help ensure a better chance to get the centre they may want, like a Perfetti or Rossi, though staying at #9 likely still gives them the option of Lundell and Jarvis, without ponying up an asset.

The Ducks moving down likely kills all chances of them getting Drysdale or Sanderson if that is who they are looking at. Besides, the Ducks going D at #6 would also help the Wild in having a C be there at #9.

I think both teams would be best to stay where they are instead of getting fancy.

I pretty much agree, in theory it makes sense but both teams are kinda in weird spots.

I guess it depends on how the draft plays out too, but i think instead of trading back ... just move rakell /manson and try to get back in the top 15.

There are about 6-8 teams that could use a Rakell in the top 15... and a couple teams that would prob look hard at Manson.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

So yeah not far off.

Except it is worse in this situation in every way lol.

It is a 9 pick difference instead of a 5 pick difference.
The pick that is being traded down from is higher in this situation so should be MORE valuable.
This was 15 years ago lol.
I would take a 2nd over Johnsson every day of the week.

Ducks trade 6th pick + 27th pick to Ottawa for 3rd pick

The difference between 3 and 6 is more then a late 1st, or else the Ducks would be all over this.

I don't think the Ducks should be looking defense, and I don;t think they are. 4-12 may be close, but if the Ducks really were targetting a D then I doubt they would be looking to move back. They have way less chance of getting the defensemen if they trade back they they have of getting a fwd if they trade back.

Reactions: Getz2noone

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
This is the highest pick the Ducks have owned since choosing Lindholm sixth overall in 2012. Prior to that, you have to go all the way back to Bobby Ryan second overall in 2005 to find the Ducks picking earlier. Ritchie 10th overall in 2014 and Zegras 9th overall last year are the only other top 10 picks for the Ducks during that time.

They desperately need to find their next wave of franchise talent and won't do that by trading their highest pick in 15 years for a stack of your most expendable pieces.

Reactions: Dmang714

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

The pick that is being traded down from is higher in this situation so should be MORE valuable.

The difference between 3 and 6 is more then a late 1st, or else the Ducks would be all over this.

I don't think the Ducks should be looking defense, and I don;t think they are. 4-12 may be close, but if the Ducks really were targetting a D then I doubt they would be looking to move back. They have way less chance of getting the defensemen if they trade back they they have of getting a fwd if they trade back.

I wouldn't have any desire to move down 9 spots from our 2nd rounder to add Johnsson

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Agree with all 3 points.

As to your last point... i really think we need to go forward in the draft... i think the team generally drafts good dmen in the 2nd and 3rd round... but we struggle finding those top forward players as of late. Would be nice to add a top level prospect to zegras comtois terry steel jones tracey.

to me our defense isnt really bad at all... tons of depth... and really only missing a RHD ppqb/top 4 type.
Lindholm Manson
Fowler
Larsson Gudbranson

with all sorts of options to fill in that bottom pairing, or prospects that are coming like thrun, mahura, lacombe etc. Gudbranson actually looked fine filling into that top 4 spot with fowler too, so if we found a legit PP threat for the bottom pairing we would be fine, that defense is relatively young.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Agree with all 3 points.

As to your last point... i really think we need to go forward in the draft... i think the team generally drafts good dmen in the 2nd and 3rd round... but we struggle finding those top forward players as of late. Would be nice to add a top level prospect to zegras comtois terry steel jones tracey.

to me our defense isnt really bad at all... tons of depth... and really only missing a RHD ppqb/top 4 type.
Lindholm Manson
Fowler
Larsson Gudbranson

with all sorts of options to fill in that bottom pairing, or prospects that are coming like thrun, mahura, lacombe etc. Gudbranson actually looked fine filling into that top 4 spot with fowler too, so if we found a legit PP threat for the bottom pairing we would be fine, that defense is relatively young.

I always wondered if Anaheim would/could come into play with the Dumba trade rumors. He lines up age-wise with the rest of your top 4 and your goalie.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I always wondered if Anaheim would/could come into play with the Dumba trade rumors. He lines up age-wise with the rest of your top 4 and your goalie.
Weve actually discussed it a bit on our boards.... i think stylistically hed be almost a perfect fit... the problem is i think we all feel realistically im not sure the wild/ducks make a ton of sense as trade partners for a player.

Lindholm Dumba
Fowler Manson
Larsson Gudbranson

Mahura, guhle, hakanpaa, Curran, benoit, drew as potential call ups

I mean thats a pretty solid/deep group, with gibson at goal.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

Dumba is definitely a player that would make sense for the Ducks but there are a couple problems. First they would need to have a deal to move Manson because of the expansion draft. Secondly, I'm not sure there is a trade value fit. They aren't going to move 6 or Zegras for Dumba. I doubt the Wild would do Henrique + 27/36 which is probably what the Ducks could reasonably offer.

I think the most likely trade scenarios for #6 are a trade down to say 8 or 9 or in a package for Laine.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Weve actually discussed it a bit on our boards.... i think stylistically hed be almost a perfect fit... the problem is i think we all feel realistically im not sure the wild/ducks make a ton of sense as trade partners for a player.

Lindholm Dumba
Fowler Manson
Larsson Gudbranson

Mahura, guhle, hakanpaa, Curran, benoit, drew as potential call ups

I mean thats a pretty solid/deep group, with gibson at goal.

If something couldn't get done around #6, then probably not.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Neither would I.

I'm just saying 2nd>Johnsson .

That screws the Ducks in the expansion draft.

Yeah sorry I meant that to further your point, not disagree with it.

Only really could see Johnsson as zero/low value cap dump as part of a larger trade. Otherwise I don't think he has much value to us at all, we have cheaper options to fill out the top 9 wing spots and he's not any sort of building block. If there's a hole there, we could just sign a stop gap without giving up assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad