Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I'd still like a depth forward at the deadline, but love this move. Finally have a Senator to root for on Team Canada.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not that mad about losing him. Future 3rd line guy in all likelihood.

It's the 2018 1st I'm pissed about. Sens scouting staff is one of the best in the league and could have got a real good player with that pick.

We keep biting the hand that feeds. Sens should be looking to add picks, not trade them away at every opportunity.
Sens are a contender right now. They would not be looking to add picks

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
They traded a 1st. That is the only valuable piece outside of Turris. Bowers was a very bad pick, as was pretty much agreed upon by most here up until today.
No. That is not accurate. Why are you rewriting history? Bowers has had a good start to his college career and looked pretty good in dev camp. I can absolutely see this guy having similar upside to Colin White. He's good at everything.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Signing Turris to 6x6 deal would have been a mistake. He is a tweener #1C and we already have Brassard.

This is the type of thing a winning management team does. This is the way the Patriots operate.

I really am partially sad because Turris is a really solid guy, great team guy, he was nothing but awesome but he wasn't Erik Karlsson and he would never have been Jason Spezza.

Duchene trade gives the SENS a stronger opportunity to win now and in the future.
I agree with this post, especially the bolded.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Love this deal for the Sens.

Really liked Turris playing behind Spezza, but found he hasn’t jelled with anyone but MacArthur for a while now.

Duchene is 2 years younger, and I think will be a better fit in Duchene’s system than Turris had been.

He will definitely be better on the PP, and evidently either Turris wasn’t committed to us, or the team decided they didn’t want him into his mid 30s.

Reactions: Xspyrit

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Happy with it. Only concern I have is if the 1st ends up being high which I doubt. Really looks like Turris was going to walk and when you have a position of strength like we do for C prospects it's worth it to leverage that and that's what PD did I suppose. 3rd and Hammond whatever. Very happy to have the big 3 still intact.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'm not that mad about losing him. Future 3rd line guy in all likelihood.

It's the 2018 1st I'm pissed about. Sens scouting staff is one of the best in the league and could have got a real good player with that pick.

We keep biting the hand that feeds. Sens should be looking to add picks, not trade them away at every opportunity.

Add picks?!?! No, we need an immediate boost to put us over the top while the iron is hot (aka. Karlsson in his prime). If your argument is that our scouting is great, then we don't need 7+ picks per draft to find good players. We just need to find those late gems like Hoffman and Stone.

Reactions: Xspyrit and Deku

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
How does it work better for our salary structure exactly?
Buys an extra year and you don't commit to a guy for 6 years who is built like a leaf. When it's time to re-sign Duchesne, that extra year we got could be huge if White/Brown break out, then Duchesne is a valuable asset to deal.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
One underrated thing with this trade is that Duchene is a name that will be able to sell tickets, a name that you can Market alongside Karlsson and Stone.
Maybe we will be able to get those seats back. :naughty:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Should have picked up Shipachev from Vegas for cheap (more likely for free) and traded Turris for Girard, Kamanev, 2nd.

Would Shipachev have been a downgrade from Turris? Almost certainly. But we'd have Girard, Bowers, Kamanev, 1st, 2nd and 3rd (plus cap space) still in the organization.

Lack of creativity from Sens management here. They have tunnel vision. Insist on acquiring a certain player and they always end up overpaying for them.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
Also,

Erik Karlsson and Kyle Turris had very little chemistry on the ice. This is not good when your #1C and your #1D don't have that amazing kinda chemistry.

Remember the Chemistry that Spezza and Karlsson had. At times the would dominate together. I think this trade has massive upside for the SENS.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Very happy this is over. Hurts giving up the 1st but we got Duche and saved our prospects who are about to break onto the scene.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No. That is not accurate. Why are you rewriting history? Bowers has had a good start to his college career and looked pretty good in dev camp. I can absolutely see this guy having similar upside to Colin White. He's good at everything.
I'm not rewriting history, and I know a lot about Bowers, I had a hand in drafting him to Saint John. I think you are really over-valuing his offensive game. A few empty net points doesn't really mean much to me in all honesty.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
So did Cowen have 1st round value when he was traded?

Or how about Lawson Crouse?

A players value isn't static. Just because a guy is chosen in the 1st 6 months ago doesn't mean he's valued (or will be valued) as a 1st at present time.

I mean, I didn't think that would need explaining....

Do you realize how absurd you sound? Cowen was traded five years into his pro career. Bowers was drafted less than 6 months ago and is ten games into his freshman season at BU. Yeah, I agree that player valuations are dynamic but draft statuses never change. He'll always be a first round pick. Either way, it's silly to refer to players draft statuses when evaluating guys years down the road since your draft status is based on your subjective evaluations of your skill set vs. players your own age at a specific point in time. It's kind irrelevant years down the line.

Reactions: Vesa Awesaka

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Should have picked up Shipachev from Vegas for cheap (more likely for free) and traded Turris for Girard, Kamanev, 2nd.

Would Shipachev have been a downgrade from Turris? Almost certainly. But we'd have Girard, Bowers, Kamanev, 1st, 2nd and 3rd (plus cap space) still in the organization.

Lack of creativity from Sens management here. They have tunnel vision. Insist on acquiring a certain player and they always end up overpaying for them.

1) Shipachev literally retired from the NHL so he could go back to Russia. He never was, at any point, on the table.

2) Shipachev by all accounts was hot garbage on NHL ice. Even without Turris putting Pageau in the top 6 would have been better than acquiring ship.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Add picks?!?! No, we need an immediate boost to put us over the top while the iron is hot (aka. Karlsson in his prime). If your argument is that our scouting is great, then we don't need 7+ picks per draft to find good players. We just need to find those late gems like Hoffman and Stone.

If our scouting is great (which it is), we should be supplying them with as many picks as possible, in order to maximise their chances of finding another Hoffman or Stone.

I'm definitely of the belief that Duchene is an upgrade over Turris, but like with the Zibanejad/Brassard trade, I don't think it's the kind of upgrade that is worth giving up significant youth to get.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They traded a 1st. That is the only valuable piece outside of Turris. Bowers was a very bad pick, as was pretty much agreed upon by most here up until today.
I would not say very bad.. He was ranked around where he was picked. Will he develop ... still a crap shoot as with many picks...At this stage he was a late first pick ...I am not going to write him off so fast as nothing. We gave up a prospect picked late in the first last year, like the prospect or not, and another 1st and a 3rd, and a goalie that could still possibly be an NHL backup plus Turris for some assurance of being competitive for two years and for the $ flexibility gained by not having to extend Turris beyond 2 years.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sens over payed with futures for the hope of short term success, no question in my mind. This year .... we have Stone and Ceci... next year we need to sign both with a raise ... so there maybe some smoke and mirrors they can pull off to give both of them 2 mill more for next year but I still think they will need to move salary for picks/prospects to get them signed

Lot's can happen before next yr when those two will need raises & both are RFAs still. Maybe they deal Ryan & Phaneuf or they decide to trade Ceci to get a 1st back & make room for Chabot or Jaros? Who knows? I am disappointed they didn't trade Wideman though or include him in that deal & save one of their picks.

I don't mind losing Bowers. Formenton is our find in that draft.

But why the heck are we giving up our first in 2018? Nashville makes out like bandits. That should be their first.

Are you forgetting about Batherson who could also turn into a real find?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Do you realize how absurd you sound? Cowen was traded five years into his pro career. Bowers was drafted less than 6 months ago and is ten games into his freshman season at BU. Yeah, I agree that player valuations are dynamic but draft statuses never change. He'll always be a first round pick. Either way, it's silly to refer to players draft statuses when evaluating guys years down the road since your draft status is based on your subjective evaluations of your skill set vs. players your own age at a specific point in time. It's kind irrelevant years down the line.

So do you value Bowers as a 1st round pick?

Who would you rather have on the Sens? Formenton or Bowers? Batherson or Bowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->