Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Calling Bowers a 1st isn't really accurate.

He was a 1st/2nd round guy taken late first, who has since had a pretty miserable start. Couple empty net points at the start of the year. Looks like he should have been picked later into the 2nd. Has very limited upside.

If anything, it shows how bad of a pick it was by us in the 2017 draft.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I know to some it looks like a lateral move but obviously management thinks the world of Duchene, can say we have 2 Olympians on the roster now.

But why, at least recently, are the Sens the one to throw in extra picks here and there. Did Hammond really need to be included for a 3rd? Was there nothing better?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Go dive into the Senators long term outlook on capfriendly.com. There's some very real justification for this kind of move. It's still a panic move where we got fleeced that could look very bad down the line.

I also think though, that deep down Dorion is a bit high on his own supply and feels that this move puts us over the top. That Turris was a sunk cost, and this is Dahlen for Burrows on a bigger scale. Dorion doesn't care if Bowers will be an excellent middle 6 forward 6 years from now. He's a very aggressive GM and he probably thinks this teams window is now.

But then why do you trade a guy on a great cap hit with a ton of playoff experience? I understand it might be the only way it happens but it's a pretty huge gamble that we make the playoffs with Duchene as a #1 centerman and that he can come up clutch for us like Turris has proven to do for us in the past.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

He was a 1st/2nd round guy taken late first, who has since had a pretty miserable start. Couple empty net points at the start of the year. Looks like he should have been picked later into the 2nd. Has very limited upside.

It is like calling Lazar a first.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Wonder if its as simple as Dorion having a good contact with Pat Brisson, Duchenes agent and not much with Turris agent, Overhardt.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sens over payed with futures for the hope of short term success, no question in my mind. This year .... we have Stone and Ceci... next year we need to sign both with a raise ... so there maybe some smoke and mirrors they can pull off to give both of them 2 mill more for next year but I still think they will need to move salary for picks/prospects to get them signed

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Go dive into the Senators long term outlook on capfriendly.com. There's some very real justification for this kind of move. It's still a panic move where we got fleeced that could look very bad down the line.

I also think though, that deep down Dorion is a bit high on his own supply and feels that this move puts us over the top. That Turris was a sunk cost, and this is Dahlen for Burrows on a bigger scale. Dorion doesn't care if Bowers will be an excellent middle 6 forward 6 years from now. He's a very aggressive GM and he probably thinks this teams window is now.

Sounds a bit like Tim, the Tool Man, Murray.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
But then why do you trade a guy on a great cap hit with a ton of playoff experience? I understand it might be the only way it happens but it's a pretty huge gamble that we make the playoffs with Duchene as a #1 centerman and that he can come up clutch for us like Turris has proven to do for us in the past.
Because the Sens were very obviously not going to sign Turris to a long-term contract. They weren't going to lose him for nothing at the end of the season.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
So if Nashville was willing to pay Girard, Kamenev and a 2nd for Turris, that means that we basically paid Girard, Bowers, Kamenev, 1st, 2nd, 3rd + 6-7M in cap space (which could be used to get a good forward in FA) for Duchene

Insane overpayment.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016

Yes, it is accurate. He was taking in the first round. He's a first round pick.

It's weird that you give subjective draft rankings more cred than the actual draft.

Reactions: aragorn and Uchiha

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sens over payed with futures for the hope of short term success, no question in my mind. This year .... we have Stone and Ceci... next year we need to sign both with a raise ... so there maybe some smoke and mirrors they can pull off to give both of them 2 mill more for next year but I still think they will need to move salary for picks/prospects to get them signed
They traded a 1st. That is the only valuable piece outside of Turris. Bowers was a very bad pick, as was pretty much agreed upon by most here up until today.

Reactions: Brethers

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I don't mind losing Bowers. Formenton is our find in that draft.

But why the heck are we giving up our first in 2018? Nashville makes out like bandits. That should be their first.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I'm good with this. Duchene makes us better and they didn't want to commit to Turris. The 1st hurts, but the rest isnt consequential

Will miss Turris because he was a class act.

Reactions: Brethers

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Because the Sens were very obviously not going to sign Turris to a long-term contract. They weren't going to lose him for nothing at the end of the season.
Why not? That's a good deal.

The idea of this trade sounded alright before I found out what Turris signed for. We have such a Mickey Mouse organization with this ownership/management.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Can't edit my post above. But anyway, I can't believe we gave up that much AND Turris signed a super team-friendly deal elsewhere. Not happy with this deal at all.
Ah but you see, you knew if the deal was happening we were going to overpay.

Don't sweat the small stuff. We got an upgrade and it works better for our salary structure.

And we didn't lose any of our top 3 prospects.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes, it is accurate. He was taking in the first round. He's a first round pick.

It's weird that you give subjective draft rankings more cred than the actual draft.
So did Cowen have 1st round value when he was traded?

Or how about Lawson Crouse?

A players value isn't static. Just because a guy is chosen in the 1st 6 months ago doesn't mean he's valued (or will be valued) as a 1st at present time.

I mean, I didn't think that would need explaining....

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I'm not that mad about losing him. Future 3rd line guy in all likelihood.

It's the 2018 1st I'm pissed about. Sens scouting staff is one of the best in the league and could have got a real good player with that pick.

We keep biting the hand that feeds. Sens should be looking to add picks, not trade them away at every opportunity.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
Signing Turris to 6x6 deal would have been a mistake. He is a tweener #1C and we already have Brassard.

This is the type of thing a winning management team does. This is the way the Patriots operate.

I really am partially sad because Turris is a really solid guy, great team guy, he was nothing but awesome but he wasn't Erik Karlsson and he would never have been Jason Spezza.

Duchene trade gives the SENS a stronger opportunity to win now and in the future.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Why not? That's a good deal.

The idea of this trade sounded alright before I found out what Turris signed for. We have such a Mickey Mouse organization with this ownership/management.
Because the Sens obviously don't view Turris as a 6 million dollar player over the next 6 years, which I would agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->