Speculation: Dreger: Devils/Flames had a tentative deal in place for Markstrom, Flames ownership said no

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I take it NJ's dreams of making this year's playoffs have gone the way of the dinosaur? If yes, and Tofolli is unwilling to re-sign with the Devils, its the smart move. I wonder what Fitz offered Tofolli to re-sign? He's been a very good player for your team.

Sounded like term was the major holdup.

A rumor that popped up earlier today from one of the Devils beat writers was that Toffoli was looking for 5-6 years but NJ was offering 3-4 years, though Toffoli's dad questioned the reporter (in a since deleted Tweet) where he was getting that information from.

Toffoli has bounced around a lot and seemingly been a bit underpaid and has already one a Cup. This will be his last big contract, so can't blame him for looking to cash in and get some security. If he can't find the term he's looking for on the open market, I'm sure Fitz will circle back with his camp on a potential deal.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Heh, Devils likely make the playoff had that deal went through a couple weeks ago.

Now, it appears they will be sellers. A team many had penciled in as favorites for the cup this season.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I take it NJ's dreams of making this year's playoffs have gone the way of the dinosaur? If yes, and Tofolli is unwilling to re-sign with the Devils, its the smart move. I wonder what Fitz offered Tofolli to re-sign? He's been a very good player for your team.
I've been advocating selling for like a month now. Even with Markstrom, I thought there were too many problems to be a real contender this year.

@Double Dion seems to have the right of it. I'm not going to vouch for how accurate the report is (Toffoli's dad questioned the post at one point then deleted it lol), but take it fwiw

EF speculated something in line with Killorn at 6.25 for 4 yesterday on Marek

Reactions: Rubi

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
I've been advocating selling for like a month now. Even with Markstrom, I thought there were too many problems to be a real contender this year.

@Double Dion seems to have the right of it. I'm not going to vouch for how accurate the report is (Toffoli's dad questioned the post at one point then deleted it lol), but take it fwiw

EF speculated something in line with Killorn at 6.25 for 4 yesterday on Marek

Toffolis dad replied asking where Nichols got that from then deleted it lol

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Heh, Devils likely make the playoff had that deal went through a couple weeks ago.

Now, it appears they will be sellers. A team many had penciled in as favorites for the cup this season.

Which is probably best for the team long-term.

They weren't really going to do much damage with a still injured Jack Hughes and two rookies on defense that seem to have hit the rookie wall (to varying degrees).

Not to mention the horrendous coaching.

Should hopefully get some nice assets for Toffoli and a decently high 1st round pick that will help the team going forward.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Which is probably best for the team long-term.

They weren't really going to do much damage with a still injured Jack Hughes and two rookies on defense that seem to have hit the rookie wall (to varying degrees).

Not to mention the horrendous coaching.

Should hopefully get some nice assets for Toffoli and a decently high 1st round pick that will help the team going forward.
Agreed. Their #1 offseason move HAS to be to get a legit starting goalie though, then they will do some real damage in the league with their up and coming strong roster and a good goalie.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Agreed. Their #1 offseason move HAS to be to get a legit starting goalie though, then they will do some real damage in the league with their up and coming strong roster and a good goalie.

I don't think there's any possible way Fitz cannot have a new starting goalie in place by the start of next season...even if it's someone like Merzlikins, which is less than ideal.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Ledge And Dairy

So the Flames, who are 8 points out of a playoff spot, have an ownership that think they still have a shot at the playoffs and thus, don't want to trade their goaltender to a team whose management also think they have a shot at the playoffs and are ALSO 8 points out of the playoffs. Interesting. And Stupid.
2 major differences though are Calgary selling off important pieces and aren't "trying to catch" a team that also selling off relevant pieces

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Dreger's connection with Nonis means his information has to be solid. Flames ownership is just the worst.

Also lol at any team that gives a 32 year old Toffoli 5 or 6 years. Even 4 would be hella risky.

Reactions: thaman8765678

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Every Habs fan must be happy about what's going on in CGY

Team won't bad bad enough to tank and finish bottom 10. Habs could get a pick between 11-15 easilly

Long time before that, they could deal Markstrom tomorrow.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I think it’s less money and more that he thinks he is smarter than everyone and can short cut a Stanley cup win
No with him it’s always about the money he doesn’t care about winning the Stanley Cup or his players. Edwards only cares that he gets revenue from at least 2 home playoff dates where he doesn’t have to pay the players.
You are giving him too much credit.

RichLittle

Oct 16, 2022
Dreger reporting that Flames won't trade Markstrom unless Mercer and better pick is in the deal.
There we go, reason 29 why the trade failed. Sounds like there was no trade agreed on, just deeper talks. Media having a field day with it all.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
At this point the Devils should be out on Markstrom. A few weeks ago when they had a realistic chance of making the playoffs he would have been a perfect fit on the Devils. Now I think they need to find someone that fits the window of the Devils players a little bit better. Not saying I would be upset if a deal happened but I think it's just not great as far as the timeline.

Reactions: HBK27

RichLittle

Oct 16, 2022
Devils aren’t giving up Mercer for a 2 year stop gap. The trade is dead
Agree, but it's interesting how a trade that failed weeks ago has multiple daily updates with different "fail" reasons. Almost as if these insiders don't actually know what's going on LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad