The most underrated defensemen in the NHL

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
That pairing is underrated. One of the most dominant in the league, both in the regular season and now in the playoffs. Like you said, well balanced.
do have to consider that they play as a 5 man unit with McDavid an awful lot and that McDavid also is often with Hyman and Draisaitl but yes they have been fantastic and top units are often used in these types of situations just most are not that lucky up front.

Miller and Trouba for me are a massive reason why the Rangers can exploit teams without the offensive situations to fluff their stats

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
If I'm picking a NYR d-man, it's Braden Schneider. He took a big step forward this year and forced his way into a top-4 role, bumping Trouba down to the bottom pairing for stretches.

He added steadiness to K'Andre Miller's game, and he plays with a lot of poise and maturity. Played a prominent role in shutting down some of Carolina's offense in round 2. Mistakes still pop in here and there, but I think he'll really put himself on a lot of radars starting next year. He definitely leans more on the defensive side, but he has the potential to step it up offensively in time.

Love Lindgren, but he's getting a lot of miles. I think Miller still has a ceiling he hasn't reached, but he has stalled a bit this year.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
If I'm picking a NYR d-man, it's Braden Schneider. He took a big step forward this year and forced his way into a top-4 role, bumping Trouba down to the bottom pairing for stretches.

He added steadiness to K'Andre Miller's game, and he plays with a lot of poise and maturity. Played a prominent role in shutting down some of Carolina's offense in round 2. Mistakes still pop in here and there, but I think he'll really put himself on a lot of radars starting next year. He definitely leans more on the defensive side, but he has the potential to step it up offensively in time.

Love Lindgren, but he's getting a lot of miles. I think Miller still has a ceiling he hasn't reached, but he has stalled a bit this year.
Totally agree with you here, and I'm a huge fan of Miller although I Don't think he's going to live up to what I personally thought it seems going to be, but a big fan of both of them.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
do have to consider that they play as a 5 man unit with McDavid an awful lot and that McDavid also is often with Hyman and Draisaitl but yes they have been fantastic and top units are often used in these types of situations just most are not that lucky up front.

Yeah, I mean, look at this other guy who sure is tearing it up without his superstar.

Makar without MacKinnon: 2.22 GF/60 5v5. (40.54 GF%)

Wait until you see Bouchard's numbers. They must be so much worse, right!!?

Bouchard without Draisait or McDavid: 2.93 GF/60 5v5. (54.29 GF%)

Bouchard is so lucky that while he's on the ice with the scrubs who can't score, he still maintains a very positive goal differential.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah, I mean, look at this other guy who sure is tearing it up without his superstar.

Makar without MacKinnon: 2.22 GF/60 5v5. (40.54 GF%)

Wait until you see Bouchard's numbers. They must be so much worse, right!!?

Bouchard without Draisait or McDavid: 2.93 GF/60 5v5. (54.29 GF%)

Bouchard is so lucky that while he's on the ice with the scrubs who can't score, he still maintains a very positive goal differential.
you didn't disprove a thing i said. He literally spends almost every minute with an unmatched trio of forwards that helps his statistical profile.

Yes they are one of the best duos in the NHL. Underrated by whom?

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
you didn't disprove a thing i said. He literally spends almost every minute with an unmatched trio of forwards that helps his statistical profile.

Yes they are one of the best duos in the NHL. Underrated by whom?

He carries himself extremely well without the two superstars on the ice, as shown by the numbers. A lot better than a guy like Makar, who is considered the best Dman in the world. Yet, only one is met with an avalanche (no pun intended) of excuses as soon as someone points out that he's playing extremely well this year. That's what makes them underrated as a pairing. There's always a "yeeeahhh, BUT.." as soon as someone points to something good Bouchard's done. Exactly the same as with Quinn Hughes to start this past season. People can't just get over the fact that their opinion on certain players might not align with the facts. Flat Earth all over again.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Guys like Tanev and Ekholm are decidedly not underrated. Everyone knows who they are. Everyone knows they're defensive monsters.

By definition, the most underrated player is somebody really nobody mentions at all. I'll go with like Brett Kulak. Just does his job, gives them some solid minutes, and doesn't get outscored while letting EDM's big boys get a breather. About as much as you can ask of a 4/5D.

If you get mentioned more than two times in a thread about a player being underrated I'd argue you're properly rated.
This. You literally cannot be "underrated" if many people think you're pretty good.

Reactions: Realgud

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Guys like Tanev and Ekholm are decidedly not underrated. Everyone knows who they are. Everyone knows they're defensive monsters.

By definition, the most underrated player is somebody really nobody mentions at all. I'll go with like Brett Kulak. Just does his job, gives them some solid minutes, and doesn't get outscored while letting EDM's big boys get a breather. About as much as you can ask of a 4/5D.

This. You literally cannot be "underrated" if many people think you're pretty good.

You can if they think you’re pretty good but you’re actually great

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Yeah Schneider is good.

And since he had a lot of growing pains, people who don't follow closely might still think he sucks.

Reactions: Charlie Conway

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
In my biased list D-men that are not talked about are Lindell and Lidgren. Obviously guy like Ekholm is more important for their team, but he is getting some recognition. I don't really follow the Panthers, but Forsling seems to be doing good as well...

1716390934390.png

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
from my end it must be jordan harris. i consider him a nhl/ahl tweener.

but in trade proposal he is worth a first and has top4 potential.

Reactions: Bee Holder

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
No. It's just what it actually means.

If every thinks a good player is good, they are not "underrated". They are properly rated.

So a player is either good or bad? There's no in between or distinctions within the two? Like, if you were to grade all players in the league on a scale, your scale would be 0-1?

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Some Ducks fans crap on Fowler, but I think he is underrated. The guy has been an absolute trooper and always played above where he should be. His offense has never grown to expectations nor is he physical so to some he’s a bust or something.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So a player is either good or bad? There's no in between or distinctions within the two? Like, if you were to grade all players in the league on a scale, your scale would be 0-1?
No, I'm talking about being "underrated".

Yeah, I know there are degrees of how good a player is. If everyone knows you're good, maybe some are slightly higher or lower on you, it doesn't really matter. You're not underrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad