Draisaitl vs MacKinnon

Who is better: Draisaitl, or MacKinnon?

• Total voters

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I would have Draisaitl a little ahead of MacKinnon, but it’s still important to realize that in this season points are not equal.

In the North Division teams like Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, and Calgary play Ottawa and Calgary like 20 times in a season.

Same thing goes for the Central Division where Detroit, Nashville, and Columbus are all giving up goals at a rapid rate.

Now, with that being said, Draisaitl won the Hart trophy last year and is having another great season, so I feel comfortable moving him ahead of MacK for the time being. I would just be careful about weighing point totals evenly between certain divisions.
That's just not fair.

These players are definitely close though.

Even their GF/60 and GA/60 rates are pretty similar.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I would have Draisaitl a little ahead of MacKinnon, but it’s still important to realize that in this season points are not equal.

In the North Division teams like Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, and Calgary play Ottawa and Vancouver like 20 times in a season.

The same thing is happening in the Central Division. Detroit, Nashville, and Columbus are all giving up goals at a rapid rate.

Now, with that being said, Draisaitl won the Hart trophy last year and is having another great season, so I feel comfortable moving him ahead of MacK for the time being. I would just be careful about weighing point totals evenly between certain divisions.
Oilers opponents in their division average 3.10 GA/GP, while Colorado's opponents in their division average 2.98 GA/GP. The difference isn't that big between the two divisions defensively. Teams like Anaheim and San Jose are pretty awful.

Reactions: zar

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
At this point in time there are really not much arguments possible on which MacK is better than Drai (outside of his speed).
Points,goals,assists over a timeframe of 3+ years...Faceoffs...PP and PK...GWGs and trophies and this season also +/-...I dont know why still 2/3 of people are voting for MacK is mindblowing...I would get it if 1/3 would vote for MacK cause he is also fantastic but not the other way.
Also their playoff ppg are close and their success in the PO are both the 2nd round max.
HF is full of trolling and it's getting worse with everyday...that's really sad.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Last season when this question was asked I said MacKinnon, but, that if Drais continues to out produce him over full seasons that my answer changes due to results.

It's Draisaitl until MacKinnon can out perform him over a season. They've both shown streaks of dominance in the playoffs.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

In the North Division teams like Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, and Calgary play Ottawa and Vancouver like 20 times in a season.

The same thing is happening in the Central Division. Detroit, Nashville, and Columbus are all giving up goals at a rapid rate.

First off, I recognize your willingness to put aside the sweater for a moment and make certain concessions.

That being said, I have to disagree with the bolded. I don't feel it's all that important because we're looking at the same results this season compared to the previous two which were played under normal circumstances.

MacKinnon is now being outproduced by Drai for a third consecutive season. The bulge in the points gap is a little inflated right now at a glance because MacKinnon has played 8 less games (6 less team games). The Oilers are already at their midway point. 6 more games for the Avs probably sees MacKinnon with about 28-30 points in 26 (28 team games) compared to Drai's current 42 in 28 (28 team games). If he gets remotely hot, the difference could be 8-10 points.

Last season was normal until the abrupt halt in play and Drai trounced him by 17 points in 2 more games and he actually was scoreless in his final 3 games. His PPG this year is comparable to last year.

Normal season or not, the results are the same. I don't think it's too noteworthy to bring up division play in this particular scenario.

But I respect you thinking Drai has an edge right now.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Draisaitl is better but MacKinnon is no slouch either. They're probably the 2nd and 3rd best forward in the league, respectively.

Reactions: Syyncrow

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
First off, I recognize your willingness to put aside the sweater for a moment and make certain concessions.

That being said, I have to disagree with the bolded. I don't feel it's all that important because we're looking at the same results this season compared to the previous two which were played under normal circumstances.

MacKinnon is now being outproduced by Drai for a third consecutive season. The bulge in the points gap is a little inflated right now at a glance because MacKinnon has played 8 less games (6 less team games). The Oilers are already at their midway point. 6 more games for the Avs probably sees MacKinnon with about 28-30 points in 26 (28 team games) compared to Drai's current 42 in 28 (28 team games). If he gets remotely hot, the difference could be 8-10 points.

Last season was normal until the abrupt halt in play and Drai trounced him by 17 points in 2 more games and he actually was scoreless in his final 3 games. His PPG this year is comparable to last year.

Normal season or not, the results are the same. I don't think it's too noteworthy to bring up division play in this particular scenario.

But I respect you thinking Drai has an edge right now.
I don't think there is an argument on Mack's side beside playoffs performances. Even then it's still hard to judge since Drai's sample size is smaller compared to Mackinnon but this isn't a case where Drai completely dissapears in the playoffs. At this point there's basically no stats that favors Mack over Drai in the last three years so yeah kinda hard not to put him ahead. Somehow yall arguing with Leafs fans in this poll :popcorn:

Reactions: McFlyingV

BB06

Jun 1, 2020

LD has a lower PPG this season than he did last year. Avs get to play the kings/Ducks/Sharks 24 times in a season. All 3 were bottom 6 teams last year.

apollo18

Oct 20, 2018
Show your work.

This season Draisaitl has played 41% of his time against elite QoC.

McDavid has spent 40.9%.

McDavid also has a 63.6% offensive zone start compared to Draisaitl with 51.6%

hes playing with the 2nd line for 53% of the season so far, which usually doest mean 1d defenseman all the time, its a mix of 1d and mostly 2nd pairing d.
McDavid is getting as much 1d pairing as possible

secondly, when hes on the same line as mcdavid obviously hes going to be killing it. put macnkinnon on the same line as mcdavid and i bet he produces more then drai

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 5.28.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 5.28.20 PM.png
    152 KB · Views: 1

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
From watching, Draisaitl looks a lot more dangerous on the ice than MacKinnon. Very versatile offensively, so many different tools to put up points. I've been very high on Draisaitl for a while, so I might be biased, but I do truly think he's the 2nd best player in the league.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Nathan Mackinnon has the best career playoff points per game among current NHL players and only trails Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky all time in that statistic but yeah sure tell us more about how Mackinnon isn’t a beast in the playoffs.

I think the point he was making is that Drai has an almost identical ppg in the playoffs.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Mackinnon has dominated in 6 playoff series’ and Draisaitl has in 2. I’m assuming you’re just trolling me at this point but you have to see the difference in Mackinnon’s playoff career vs Draisaitl.

Draisaitl has 16 points in 12 career actual playoff games. That’s a 1.33PPG pace which is fantastic, no doubt.

However Mackinnon has 51 points in 37 career actual playoff games. That’s a 1.38PPG pace.

Mackinnon has been better and has done it in 3 times as many games. Surely you can understand why that matters.

Surely you can understand that .05 ppg difference is almost nothing.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
hes playing with the 2nd line for 53% of the season so far, which usually doest mean 1d defenseman all the time, its a mix of 1d and mostly 2nd pairing d.
McDavid is getting as much 1d pairing as possible

secondly, when hes on the same line as mcdavid obviously hes going to be killing it. put macnkinnon on the same line as mcdavid and i bet he produces more then drai
When does Mack play without Ranta?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
This poll is being trolling at this point. No contest. Leon's hockey IQ blows Mack away.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
This poll is being trolling at this point. No contest. Leon's hockey IQ blows Mack away.
Lmao! Draisaitl and McDavid don’t play D. Watch the series against the Hawks in Aug and you’ll see. Their own GM called them out. They will put up points, but they suck on D.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
From watching, Draisaitl looks a lot more dangerous on the ice than MacKinnon. Very versatile offensively, so many different tools to put up points. I've been very high on Draisaitl for a while, so I might be biased, but I do truly think he's the 2nd best player in the league.
Always nice to see posts like this. The majority of people who don't watch him often make up their mind immediately when they don't see him going end to end every shift. He can do that at times, but it's not his game. He's a bull out there with the perfect mix of brute force, intelligence, soft hands, and precision. You really can't gain an appreciation for the things he does unless you really watch him often and understand his game.

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
Lmao! Draisaitl and McDavid don’t play D. Watch the series against the Hawks in Aug and you’ll see. Their own GM called them out. They will put up points, but they suck on D.
Such a lazy argument lol, that’s how you know someone is just grasping at straws when they throw out the classic “weak on D” statement with no evidence. Since Drai’s detractors liked to bring up his +/- so much last year it’s only fair that we bring it up this year. +20, second in the league. Not to mention the fact that he already has 21(!) more points than MacKinnon this year. Literally almost double the points lol but yes MacKinnon is better because reasons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad