Draisaitl vs MacKinnon

Who is better: Draisaitl, or MacKinnon?

• Total voters

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
We’re discussing playoff success. So unless you want to debate how meaningful Draisait’s performance was in the Oilers getting their asses kicked by a shit Blackhawks team in the “Play in series” I think discussing actual playoff hockey is a little more relevant.

And even if you do include those games and Colorado’s exhibition games last year Mackinnon’s playoff statistics are still more impressive.
I just posted the plain numbers as recognized by the NHL. I don't know what you issue with that is. Mack has a slight edge in playoff numbers, Draisaitl an edge in regular season, Draisaitl has a massive edge in actual hardware. In terms of playoff success they both have the same amount.

Mack is possibly the most overrated star in the league right now. Never had 100 points, never won anything significant, a career 9.9% shooter. Yet many consider him the best player on the planet.

Reactions: garbageteam

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I just posted the plain numbers as recognized by the NHL. I don't know what you issue with that is. Mac has a slight edge in playoff numbers, Draisaitl an edge in regular season, Draisaitl has a massive edge in actual hardware. In terms of playoff success they both have the same amount.

Mack is possibly the most overrated star in the league right now. Never had 100 points, never won anything significant, a career 9.9% shooter. Yet many consider him the best player on the planet.
I literally haven’t said a single thing about regular season so you’re just talking to yourself right now.

I came into this thread and read a post where somebody questioned “Mackinnon being a beast in the playoffs”. I obviously questioned that and then the poster mentioned that he meant in comparison to Draisaitl. I then acknowledged that Draisaitl was indeed great in the playoffs but the stats still favor Mackinnon in points per game and they drastically favor Mackinnon in sample size.

It’s laughable though that you just said “In terms of playoff success they both have the same amount.”

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Oh? Has Mac made it past the 2nd round?
Lol. Sorry I didn’t know that’s what you meant. So because of how far their teams have gone Leon Draisaitl has as much playoff success as Nathan Mackinnon. I get it. That one playoff appearance in the last 14 years must really be put on a pedestal for oilers fans.

I’ll also forever keep a mental note that Carter Verhaege has had much better individual playoff success than Leon Draisaitl.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Lol. Sorry I didn’t know that’s what you meant. So because of how far their teams have gone Leon Draisaitl has as much playoff success as Nathan Mackinnon. I get it. That one playoff appearance in the last 14 years must really be put on a pedestal for oilers fans.
No real rebuttable from you here. If you want to just mud sling go for it. Doesn't change that they have the same amount of post season success.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Mackinnon has dominated in 6 playoff series’ and Draisaitl has in 2. I’m assuming you’re just trolling me at this point but you have to see the difference in Mackinnon’s playoff career vs Draisaitl.

Draisaitl has 16 points in 12 career actual playoff games. That’s a 1.33PPG pace which is fantastic, no doubt.

However Mackinnon has 51 points in 37 career actual playoff games. That’s a 1.38PPG pace.

Mackinnon has been better and has done it in 3 times as many games. Surely you can understand why that matters.
The argument the specific poster was stating is that he overlooks Mack’s lower performance compared to Drai’s regular season performance (.95 to 1.02 in 544 games and 448 games + all of Drai’s awards) because Mack is a beast compared to Drai in the playoffs (1.35 to 1.30 in 40 games and 17 games both never past 2nd round). Your argument is that because Mack has sustained a relatively similar production in the playoffs compared to Drai for 23 games more he is considered a beast and over 450 games sample can be overlooked due to that reason? Is that your argument just to be sure? Just to put it into perspective if In their first game Drai scores 2 points and Mack gets zero, then Drai’s playoff ppg goes to 1.33 and Mack’s goes to 1.31. And this is the argument that you are standing to?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Leon Draisaitl is on some next level shit. 37 points, +17 , 57 % faceoffs..kills penalties....he might just win the dam selke ...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think over the past 2 seasons its pretty clear that Draisaitl has been better. Draisaitl has also been on a steep upward trajectory for the past 3 seasons so I do not see him peaking for a few more years. His defensive game is rounding out and its not coming at the expense of offense

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Leon Draisaitl is on some next level shit. 37 points, +17 , 57 % faceoffs..kills penalties....he might just win the dam selke ...

Drai is in the midst of constructing his third consecutive elite season and every single one of them has been better work than what MacKinnon has cobbled together.

Can you imagine how brutal this place would be if MacKinnon could be objectively and definitively better just one time from here on out?

Reactions: doorbag

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Draisaitl dominating offensively this season (for the 3rd or 4th year in a row now) and beating Mackinnon in the defensive metrics as well.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Draisaitl dominating offensively this season (for the 3rd or 4th year in a row now) and beating Mackinnon in the defensive metrics as well.

He’s up at +19 now, over 57% on the faceoff dots and playing elite level hockey in all 3 zones.

42 points in 28 games is pretty insane production, the only player I’d trade for Draisaitl plays on the same team as him.

Should be a Selke finalist, if not the winner if he keeps this up.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
tenor.gif

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Leon Draisaitl made the playoffs once in his entire career you have to be kidding.

I’ll also forever keep a mental note that Carter Verhaege has had much better individual playoff success than Leon Draisaitl.

tenor.gif

So we can't judge Mackinnon poorly for the teams inability to make it past round two despite many more attempts and how "beastly" his PPG is; however, we can judge Draisaitl for the Oilers inability to make the playoffs more than "once" even though his PPG in the playoffs is the same, and during the much larger career regular season - higher.

Both of these players are top tier and have proven to be. It doesn't make a lot of sense to quote sample sizes of playoff games as insufficient when they both have 500 games of dominating the NHL. Playoff hockey isn't that much different for the top 1% of the league, they still dominate, especially big bodies like Draisaitl and Mackinnon.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
thread poppin after a 5 point night?

this is still Nathan Mackinnon. he is 2nd to only McDavid
Shocking a leafs fan underrating Draisaitl. Drai has 20 more points than MacK halfway through a shortened season.... Its Drai and the gap continues to widen.

MacK continues to be the most overrated star in the world.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Shocking a leafs fan underrating Draisaitl. Drai has 20 more points than MacK halfway through a shortened season.... Its Drai and the gap continues to widen.

MacK continues to be the most overrated star in the world.
i dont think many people are basing their thoughts off of 20 games.

i still take Mackinnon. and probably always will. do you not see how insane his year was last year (without playing without a Mcdavid level talent)

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System

These 20 games can't be dismissed though. Draisaitl is outproducing MacK yet again, and by a huge margin. Pick any recent time frame and Draisaitl is outproducing MacKinnon.

i still take Mackinnon. and probably always will

Not too surprising considering Drasaitl nearly doubling MacK's points doesn't sway you.

do you not see how insane his year was last year

You mean the same year Draisaitl had an even better season and swept the awards?

(without playing without a Mcdavid level talent)

MacK still had the better roster built around him. Last time he was on a bad team he didn't break 20 goals and only had 50ish points.

Last edited:

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I just posted the plain numbers as recognized by the NHL. I don't know what you issue with that is. Mack has a slight edge in playoff numbers, Draisaitl an edge in regular season, Draisaitl has a massive edge in actual hardware. In terms of playoff success they both have the same amount.

Not to mention he's never been better than 5th in scoring, guy hasn't even come close to sniffing an Art Ross or a Rocket. He's currently 45th in scoring while LD is 2nd.

Tired of hearing how MacK is potentially the best player in the league. He's obviously elite and a Top 5 forward, but the board's over hyping of this guy is a joke. He is nowhere close to being the best player in the world, has produced well under ppg in his career (Drai is over ppg, and likely will continue to be for some time). It's getting close to be another "but iNtAnGiBlEs" meme level soon.

You'd expect someone who consistently over produces him, and has won the hardware to prove it, given some caveats, to poll pretty close at best.

MacK is just another HF darling that hasn't earned it, with seeds planted by his boosters and their sock puppets all throughout the board convincing newer hockey players to also salivate over his supposed "second best hockey player in the world status" "it's McDavid and MacKinnon end of debate!!". Could name a few obvious others but already ruffling enough feathers.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

i still take Mackinnon. and probably always will. do you not see how insane his year was last year (without playing without a Mcdavid level talent)

The uninformed cannot be reasoned with.

They believe their opinion is a fact...

Can you imagine surrounding Leon with Colorados talent ? Leon's passing is his biggest strength... and he still flirts with 50 goals....

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

It's been alot more than 20 games though.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I wonder how good Mack would be with a calder winning D, PPG winger and #2 OA pick. Would likely have multiple 100+ point seasons

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I would have Draisaitl a little ahead of MacKinnon, but it’s still important to realize that in this season points are not equal.

In the North Division teams like Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, and Calgary play Ottawa and Vancouver like 20 times in a season.

The same thing is happening in the Central Division. Detroit, Nashville, and Columbus are all giving up goals at a rapid rate.

Now, with that being said, Draisaitl won the Hart trophy last year and is having another great season, so I feel comfortable moving him ahead of MacK for the time being. I would just be careful about weighing point totals evenly between certain divisions.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad