Draisaitl vs MacKinnon

Who is better: Draisaitl, or MacKinnon?

• Total voters

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Show me a game when the Oilers score 8 and Drai only has 1 power play goal. Goes to show the difference in team makeup and the fact Mack isn’t who we think he is. Colorado is a good team with or without him.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Show me a game when the Oilers score 8 and Drai only has 1 power play goal. Goes to show the difference in team makeup and the fact Mack isn’t who we think he is. Colorado is a good team with or without him.
Mack hasn't been the usual Mack we've seen the past 3 years where he is starting very slow but glad that at least he keeps producing, plays amazing defense and keeps buzzing around it's just matter of time to me where he gets 3-4 pts nights. Agreed that the Avs are still a good team without him though they have depth scoring and an actual 2nd line that produces. I think you're using too much of an unusual year on your claim. Last year he had 43 more pts than the 2nd best scoring player who happened to be a rookie.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Draisaitl is getting unsustainable goaltending behind him this year. His CA/60, SA/60 and xGA/60 5v5 are all in the bottom quarter of forwards with at least 300 min played.

Interestingly, while both have an inflated SV% behind them, MacKinnon actually has a better GF% this year despite struggling to score, and far better underlying metrics.
CA, SA, and xGA are all useless stats, quoted on their own by people who don't understand how statistics work. Those can't be used to compare how good or bad players are defensively, since being a high event player isn't inherently weaker than being a low event player.

Corsi%, Shots%, xGF% are all stats where Draisaitl's well above 50%, so it's quite clear to see how your analysis is bogus.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Mack hasn't been the usual Mack we've seen the past 3 years where he is starting very slow but glad that at least he keeps producing, plays amazing defense and keeps buzzing around it's just matter of time to me where he gets 3-4 pts nights. Agreed that the Avs are still a good team without him though they have depth scoring and an actual 2nd line that produces. I think you're using too much of an unusual year on your claim. Last year he had 43 more pts than the 2nd best scoring player who happened to be a rookie.
The usual MacK we’ve seen was also outscored by Leon Draisaitl hehe

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Mackinnon isn't on Leon's level. It's pretty obvious to the casual fan. The Homer's however are clinging onto that last bit of hope.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
The usual MacK we’ve seen was also outscored by Leon Draisaitl hehe
Never said otherwise. Here are my two last posts on this thread no need to be chippy ;)
Mack has been inconsistent this season I think what we've seen from him in the playoffs isn't close to what he has looked so far. The closest was the Lake Tahoe game where he had a lot of chances, scored 1 beauty and 2 assists. The only thing Mack has over Drai right now is his playoff performance other than that Drai has been better outplaying him and has major hardwares to back it up. It's getting harder and harder to defend Mack with how Draisaitl has been playing in the last couple years. So to me it's fair to say that Drai is better unless Mack goes super saiyan in the scoring race and repeat his playoff performance.
I don't think there is an argument on Mack's side beside playoffs performances. Even then it's still hard to judge since Drai's sample size is smaller compared to Mackinnon but this isn't a case where Drai completely dissapears in the playoffs. At this point there's basically no stats that favors Mack over Drai in the last three years so yeah kinda hard not to put him ahead. Somehow yall arguing with Leafs fans in this poll :popcorn:

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
We do this every year. Regular season starts and everyone calls McDavid/Draisaitl best players in the world. Playoffs roll around and we'll all call MacKinnon the best player in the world again after he dominates another playoffs.

Honestly it feels like everyone on Colorado isn't even giving 100% right now, they looked at Tampa Bay and realized the regular season means jack and it's best to save your best hockey for the playoffs. It's not like there's a chance they're missing the playoffs.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We do this every year. Regular season starts and everyone calls McDavid/Draisaitl best players in the world. Playoffs roll around and we'll all call MacKinnon the best player in the world again after he dominates another playoffs.

Honestly it feels like everyone on Colorado isn't even giving 100% right now, they looked at Tampa Bay and realized the regular season means jack and it's best to save your best hockey for the playoffs. It's not like there's a chance they're missing the playoffs.

From 2013-14 to today, the #1 player in playoff points percentage is Nathan MacKinnon at 1.35.

Good, strong solid number.

But maybe let's cool it with that as the main argument.

After all, #2 is Leon Draisaitl. at 1.29.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

Yes, 1 goal and 1 assist in seven Games 6 and 7s in the playoffs (2-5 record and being eliminated 4 times) is the stuff domination is made of.

You think the team that has gotten as far a second round exit during MacKinnon’s tenure is taking it easy? A talented team like Tampa Bay who got embarrassed after steam rolling the regular season gets to learn a lesson like that to move forward and win a Cup.

Not a team like Colorado. If they go into the playoffs thinking they’ll just turn it on, a team like Vegas will beat the brakes off them.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Yes, 1 goal and 1 assist in seven Games 6 and 7s in the playoffs (2-5 record and being eliminated 4 times) is the stuff domination is made of.

You think the team that has gotten as far a second round exit during MacKinnon’s tenure is taking it easy? A talented team like Tampa Bay who got embarrassed after steam rolling the regular season gets to learn a lesson like that to move forward and win a Cup.

Not a team like Colorado. If they go into the playoffs thinking they’ll just turn it on, a team like Vegas will beat the brakes off them.
Lol you pick 2 games out of his whole playoff career? How about 54 points in 40 games? Is that domination to you?

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014

Not to derail the thread but I'm pretty sure they know that. Expectations were already high last year and a team like Dallas surprised both the Avs and Vegas. The difference this year is clearly the team's defense and the top line certainly showing the wat playing very good defense. I hope Sakic fixes that #3C and back up goaltending issue if Grubs gets hurt again it might get ugly :(

Last edited:

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Lol you pick 2 games out of his whole playoff career? How about 54 points in 40 games? Is that domination to you?

I picked 7 games and they’re elimination games. Heightened stakes and all that. It’s pretty glaring to me if MacKinnon has 52 points in 33 games in all other games that are not 6’s and 7’s.

Ever hear of small sample sizes? The guy had 29 points in 25 games before this last postseason run that included 3 play in games and a first round series against Arizona after a 5 month break from the regular season.

Context matters.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I picked 7 games and they’re elimination games. Heightened stakes and all that. It’s pretty glaring to me if MacKinnon has 52 points in 33 games in all other games that are not 6’s and 7’s.

Ever hear of small sample sizes? The guy had 29 points in 25 games before this last postseason run that included 3 play in games and a first round series against Arizona after a 5 month break from the regular season.

Context matters.
15 game playoff games is not a small sample size. Like you said context matters, you realize MacKinnon was a rookie in his game 7 and hurt in the first period in his 2nd game 7 right? Are you going to write up all the points Draisaitl and McDavid rack up against a terrible Chicago team? Arizona won their play in rounds at least.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln

Congrats on the Avalanche winning the cup last year.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Its pretty close, both are in the argument for best player in the game after McDavid, but some of the comments in here are so toxic its hilarious.

You have the anti- Drai crowd who claim he has no playoff success, which is completely not his fault.

Then, you have the Anti- Mack crowd who use hardware as a 0 sum game, acting like you either win it or you are just another one of the 900 or so odd players in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad