Proposal: Draisaitl to Montreal

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Holy cow you took that offer seriously?

I was making a point pal, try following the discussion maybe?..mute point.

Sadly, I've read this thread.

I understood the point you are trying to make... that nothing would be enough for these aggrandizing Oiler fans. But... you couldn't make your point, the CBA wouldn't even allow it... so you only served to reinforce the counter-point... that there is nothing realistic that would be enough/montreal doesn't have the assets to get it done.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Of course you took a fraction of my comment.

Never said he was has-been, but you know that loser's mentality theory that lowered Hall's value?

Matt Duchene lost everything there was to lose - still fetched a mint.

Justin Faulk has lost every season since he arrived in the league - Canes fans still expect a killing for him.

Every Buffalo Sabre is tainted by loser stank but their fans still expect fair pricing.

Draisaitl was a tank in the playoffs, they are not at all similar situations.

Reactions: DaPhazz

SlappyHabby

Jun 11, 2014
I can’t see any scenario where edm even entertains the notion of trading drai, let alone for anything offered by most habs fans so far.

However, just for the fun of it, here would be my offer assuming chiarelli was willing to listen:

Alex Galchenyuk
Victor Mete
Noah Juulsen
2018 1st

For

Draisaitl
2018 2nd

In essence, mtl gives up a proven 30g scorer (who really could and should be playing at center) with some still untapped potential imo, our two best young d prospects who are in my estimation 1-2yrs away tops from full time duties in the nhl and who I am confident will both be solid top4 dmen at some point in the near future, and our 1st round pick in one of the best drafts in years.

Now I’m guessing most oilers fans would turn their nose up at this proposal, but I believe in all honesty it’s really not a horrifyingly disgusting offer if it were actually on the table and one that chiarelli might at least consider, even if briefly.

Now go ahead and roast me edm fans.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I can’t see any scenario where edm even entertains the notion of trading drai, let alone for anything offered by most habs fans so far.

However, just for the fun of it, here would be my offer assuming chiarelli was willing to listen:

Alex Galchenyuk
Victor Mete
Noah Juulsen
2018 1st

For

Draisaitl
2018 2nd

In essence, mtl gives up a proven 30g scorer (who really could and should be playing at center) with some still untapped potential imo, our two best young d prospects who are in my estimation 1-2yrs away tops from full time duties in the nhl and who I am confident will both be solid top4 dmen at some point in the near future, and our 1st round pick in one of the best drafts in years.

Now I’m guessing most oilers fans would turn their nose up at this proposal, but I believe in all honesty it’s really not a horrifyingly disgusting offer if it were actually on the table and one that chiarelli might at least consider, even if briefly.

Now go ahead and roast me edm fans.

Galchenyuk has scored 30 goals once in his career and it looks like a fluke. That's like us calling Ryan Strome a proven 50 point scorer.

As for what I think of your offer this ain't liquidation world and rock bottom prices. Hard no to quantity for quality offers.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Sadly, I've read this thread.

I understood the point you are trying to make... that nothing would be enough for these aggrandizing Oiler fans. But... you couldn't make your point, the CBA wouldn't even allow it... so you only served to reinforce the counter-point... that there is nothing realistic that would be enough/montreal doesn't have the assets to get it done.

Dire needs may push GMs to do unrealistic trades though, we saw it before.

Oilers sure are in need of a 1D, and Chiarelli's generosity impressed many in the past few years.

That's why the ''doesn't have the assets'' argument gets to me, it kills the discussion.

Reactions: SlappyHabby

SlappyHabby

Jun 11, 2014
There aren't any pieces on Montreal that could return Dr.Drai

Whoa hold your horses there, that is patently and blatantly false.

Shea Weber for one, despite his age, still has several solid years ahead of him and would instantly stabilize edm blue line in a way they haven’t seen in decades.

Players like Galchenyuk, Price, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Drouin also have significant value to name a few, the only question is whether either team is willing to part with a significant core piece to add another while still being able to remain competitive.

For example, if Shea Weber were offered for drai straight up, edm could afford to lose drai because they still have generational center mcdavid and rnh as their 1-2 two punch down the middle and have managed to add one of the top ten defenders in league to their roster which would literally improve and stabilize their blue line instantly, especially when Sekera returns who is a quality dman in his own right.

Mtl on the other hand, while finally acquiring that top end center they’ve been looking for for over twenty years, decimates their blue line by giving up Weber and would be in no way better off and would probably end up in far worse shape therefore losing the trade significantly despite having finally acquired that elusive #1 potentially franchise center.

My point is that mtl, despite having struggled out of the gate so far, still has several quality pieces to trade if the right deal comes along, and I am both tired and annoyed that other teams fans constantly denigrate our players and act is if we have nothing but a group of ahlers on our roster and have nothing to offer any team whatsoever.

A modicum of objectivity from other teams fanbases and our own would be nice, although that is probably too much to ask.

End rant.

Reactions: DaPhazz

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Whoa hold your horses there, that is patently and blantatly false.

Shea Weber for one, despite his age, still has several solid years ahead of him and would instantly stabilize edm blue line in a way they haven’t seen in decades.

Players like Galchenyuk, Price, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Drouin also have significant value to name a few, the only question is whether either team is willing to part with a significant core piece to add another while still being able to remain competitive.

For example, if Shea Weber were offered for drai straight up, edm could afford to lose drai because they still have generational center mcdavid and rnh as their 1-2 two punch down the middle and have managed to add one of the top ten defenders in league to their roster which would literally improve and stabilize their blue line instantly, especially when Sekera returns who is a quality dman in his own right.

Mtl on the other hand, while finally acquiring that top end center they’ve been looking for for over twenty years, decimates their blue line by giving up Weber and would be in no way better off and would probably end up in far worse shape therefore losing the trade significantly despite having finally acquired that elusive #1 potentially franchise center.

My point is that mtl, despite having struggled out of the gate so far, still has several quality pieces to trade if the right deal comes along, and I am both tired and annoyed that other teams fans constantly denigrate our players and act is if we have nothing but a group of ahlers on our roster and have nothing to offer any team whatsoever.

A modicum of objectivity from other teams fanbases and our own would be nice, although that is probably too much to ask.

End rant.

I like how you demand objectivity but then view everything through a Habs lens.

Shea Weber is 32 and signed til he's, what, 40? His 'best before' date is coming up quick and it's a long downhill skid into Seabrooktown.

You try being objective. If you had a 22 year old locked up long term, and this big power centre had already put up 50 and 77 point seasons and showed great chemistry with the best player in the world, would YOU trade this player for a 32 year old defenceman?

In a potential Galchenyuk trade, would you accept Ryan Strome++? Or Calle Jarnkrok and bits and pieces? No one wants to be the team getting the worse piece and spare parts. Having good pieces does not mean the player you want is obtainable for those pieces.

Would you trade Johnathan Drouin straight up for Ryan Suter? How about Kevin Shattenkirk?

SlappyHabby

Jun 11, 2014
Galchenyuk has scored 30 goals once in his career and it looks like a fluke. That's like us calling Ryan Strome a proven 50 point scorer.

As for what I think of your offer this ain't liquidation world and rock bottom prices. Hard no to quantity for quality offers.

RIGHT, because no way would galchenyuk ever come close to scoring 30g again if he were say mcdavids winger.

As for the quantity for quality offers, it goes to show how little you know about the prospects I offered, but you can bet your bottom dollar that even at this early stage of his development, Mete would at the very least be your second best dman or 3rd at worse, that’s how bad your blueline is q on the 5 oilers games I’ve watched this season.

Our d was pretty terrible for most of the season in all honesty, and it still ain’t that great to be honest, but I’ll take our blue line over yours at this stage anyday and twice on sunday thats how bad yours has been so far this season.

So go ahead and criticize all you want, but good luck to your team moving forward because you’re gonna need it, and frankly so will ours as we both have glaring needs that need addressing.

You’ve got a generational c and we have one at g, your offense is better than ours but our d is better than yours, and prospect wise we come ahead on d prospects whereas you do on forward prospects.

Difference being though that mtl has been a playoff team more often than not over the last decade, whereas yours has been a bottom dweller for over a decade save for last season.

Perhaps a little humility is in order from your end, although I wish edm success going forward as it would be a tragedy to see two young bonafide and highly skilled players like mcdavid and drai waste some of their prime years on a potentially sinking ship and franchise.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Dire needs may push GMs to do unrealistic trades though, we saw it before.

Oilers sure are in need of a 1D, and Chiarelli's generosity impressed many in the past few years.

That's why the ''doesn't have the assets'' argument gets to me, it kills the discussion.

The "discussion" only works if you are actually willing to listen to what the other side needs and start an offer with something that would resemble it.

Any "discussion" of us trading Draisaitl would have to BEGIN with the notion that you had a #1 or surefire future #1D++, preferably a right-handed one... that you were willing to trade AND who would fit within McDavid's prime.

The most important complementary building blocks for McDavid are, in order: #1 Defenseman, #1B Center, #1 goalie

Your #1D is too old and too expensive. Draisaitl is nearly the best fit for #1C in the league (only Matthews or arguably Eichel would be a better fit) and your #1 goalie is injured, too expensive and getting older. Talbot is passable, though not ideal... but you don't have an ideal solution.

So why would we trade one of those building blocks, which fits us perfectly... for an imperfect approximation of one of the other building blocks?

Thus... you don't have the assets.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
RIGHT, because no way would galchenyuk ever come close to scoring 30g again if he were say mcdavids winger.

As for the quantity for quality offers, it goes to show how little you know about the prospects I offered, but you can bet your bottom dollar that even at this early stage of his development, Mete would at the very least be your second best dman or 3rd at worse, that’s how bad your blueline is q on the 5 oilers games I’ve watched this season.

Our d was pretty terrible for most of the season in all honesty, and it still ain’t that great to be honest, but I’ll take our blue line over yours at this stage anyday and twice on sunday thats how bad yours has been so far this season.

So go ahead and criticize all you want, but good luck to your team moving forward because you’re gonna need it, and frankly so will ours as we both have glaring needs that need addressing.

You’ve got a generational c and we have one at g, your offense is better than ours but our d is better than yours, and prospect wise we come ahead on d prospects whereas you do on forward prospects.

Difference being though that mtl has been a playoff team more often than not over the last decade, whereas yours has been a bottom dweller for over a decade save for last season.

Perhaps a little humility is in order from your end, although I wish edm success going forward as it would be a tragedy to see two young bonafide and highly skilled players like mcdavid and drai waste some of their prime years on a potentially sinking ship and franchise.

If you think Mete would be our 2nd best defenceman you were watching hockey with your eyes closed.

Blah blah blah fearmongering blah. Try our blue line with Larsson and Sekera back - no shit it looks bad, how would the Habs look without Weber and without Petry?

You're offering lesser pieces, downgrades, and hopes and dreams couched in a thin veneer of arrogance, plain and simple.

Reactions: zar

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Of course they do, are y'all gone crazy arrogant (or stupid) now??
The OP is bad, but don't go full ******.

Do your really believe the second worst team in the NHL would refuse :

Drouin + Weber (30% retained)
Draisaitl

EDM jumps on that like a jackall on raw meat, because it makes them cup pretenders for years.

MTL says no, it was only to show that your argument is bad.

Btw, Draisaitl's hype is not as high as it used to be, and his ''McDavid got that, I want this'' contract is not helping either.

Montreal does not have any realistic trade pieces the Oilers would consider trading Draisaitl for. Who cares about his hype, the Oilers need him and are keeping him any way.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Why are you so high and mighty... Did you actually READ the OP?

Did it offer us a solution to any of our weaknesses? There were a lot of pieces there... did ANY of them offer a solution?

Price and Weber are great players. Neither of them were in the OP. Unfortunately they are at the tail end of their prime. Drai is still years from his (as is McDavid).

Sergachev is a highly touted D prospect. He wouldn't be enough, but even he wasn't included in the OP.

Your OP isn't negotiating in good faith... its an insulting offer. Save your insults for him.

Nobody has scolded a Price offer or a Weber offer... they've been rejected with polite rationale.

SlappyHabby

Jun 11, 2014
I like how you demand objectivity but then view everything through a Habs lens.

Shea Weber is 32 and signed til he's, what, 40? His 'best before' date is coming up quick and it's a long downhill skid into Seabrooktown.

The fact that you just compared shea weber, one of the best and most productive dmen in the league for over a decade, and the current highest goal scoring dman in the entire league among active dmen to brent friggin seabrook completely and utterly ruins your credibility.

I mean goddamn son, that was an absolutely awful comparison by any criteria, if your gonna compare Weber to someone think of zdeno chara who despite his advancing age is still a competent and solid dman and weber has put up better career numbers despite having played less games.

Anyway, keep drai and we’ll keep weber, I’d rather go after oreilly out of buffalo anyway as he can be had for a lesser and more affordable cost and be just as effective for us.

Good luck with your blueline and in nets moving forward, you guys are gonna need it.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The fact that you just compared shea weber, one of the best and most productive dmen in the league for over a decade, and the current highest goal scoring dman in the entire league among active dmen to brent friggin seabrook completely and utterly ruins your credibility.

I mean goddamn son, that was an absolutely awful comparison by any criteria, if your gonna compare Weber to someone think of zdeno chara who despite his advancing age is still a competent and solid dman and weber has put up better career numbers despite having played less games.

Anyway, keep drai and we’ll keep weber, I’d rather go after oreilly out of buffalo anyway as he can be had for a lesser and more affordable cost and be just as effective for us.

Good luck with your blueline and in nets moving forward, you guys are gonna need it.

We'll be just fine without your scraps, thanks for your concern.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
so draisaitl and puljujarvi for subban and sergachev? edmonton would probably not make the hall for larsson trade then.

That was just one of the rumoured trade proposals at the time. There were a few other ones but looking at that one now would have helped both teams today.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Montreal does not have any realistic trade pieces the Oilers would consider trading Draisaitl for. Who cares about his hype, the Oilers need him and are keeping him any way.
These crazy proposals are usually made by the bottom of the barrel of a fan base, it's embarrassing but every fan base has fans who ride in the short bus.

Reactions: Runner77

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
The Habs dont have any pieces to acquire a top centre. They better draft wisely the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad