Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Bouchard needs to get that puck out...full stop. Foegele (rightly so) wasnt expecting Bouchard to soft dump the puck in behind/beside him with a Kings player bearing down. Foegele was accelerating out of the zone to transition the puck once it exits the zone. It should have been an easy play for Bouchard instead he shat the bed.
Even if Foegele does stop and retireve that puck he is sure to be bulldozed and lose possession. That probably explains why it wasnt on his radar. It was a dumb play.
Rather Foegele was likely expecting Bouchard to put the puck well ahead of him and out of the zone.
That was the proper play because even if Foegele isnt able to track down the puck the fact that the puck has cleared the zone gives the D a chance to reset.
He actually wasn't expecting that at all Bouchard just under-passed it. You can see about 3 different times while Foegele is curling he is putting his stick out and tapping it as a passing target for Bouchard, but Bouchard worried about the forechecking King's stick hesitates and elects to use the boards to ensure the forechecker doesn't knock it down and in the process he underpasses Foegele. If he puts a bit more on the pass or rather angles it slightly different he hits Foegele in stride who still has about 20 feet before he reaches the King that you think would have bulldozed him. He would have had more than ample time to either chip it off the boards passed Kopitar to Draisaitl or make a move on Kopitar.

So technically yes the boards and out is the safe play, but its also the type of play that loses you puck possession. If Bouchard just executes the bank pass better the Oilers blow the zone on a 3 on 2 rush going the other way. This is a large part of the Oilers offence, transitional offence. If you want them to just chip every puck out and concede possession then you're killing one the the biggest strengths of this team.

Reactions: Messrules11

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He actually wasn't expecting that at all Bouchard just under-passed it. You can see about 3 different times while Foegele is curling he is putting his stick out and tapping it as a passing target for Bouchard, but Bouchard worried about the forechecking King's stick hesitates and elects to use the boards to ensure the forechecker doesn't knock it down and in the process he underpasses Foegele. If he puts a bit more on the pass or rather angles it slightly different he hits Foegele in stride who still has about 20 feet before he reaches the King that you think would have bulldozed him. He would have had more than ample time to either chip it off the boards passed Kopitar to Draisaitl or make a move on Kopitar.

So technically yes the boards and out is the safe play, but its also the type of play that loses you puck possession. If Bouchard just executes the bank pass better the Oilers blow the zone on a 3 on 2 rush going the other way. This is a large part of the Oilers offence, transitional offence. If you want them to just chip every puck out and concede possession then you're killing one the the biggest strengths of this team.
It doesnt necessarily lose you puck possession if its done right.
That said even if it does lose you possession at least the puck is out of the zone and you get an opportunity to reset.
Sometimes just getting the puck out of the zone is the right play and that situation was a perfect example.
Trying to make a play when its a high risk situation is not a good idea. Bouchard needs to be much better in making that determination.
Virtually anything was preferable to what Bouchard ended up doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
No. Because your take on the play proves you didn't understand what happened

He turned the puck over and gave the Kings the start of what was a two goal lead. Without that we win.

Even worse was Bouchard turning it over by winding up for a slap shot when he had an LAK in his face.

I won't get into that slap shot wind up one tho, seems to in depth for you. Keep thinking Bouchard is great

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You are proving my point. He crapped out 4 points which is why some people on here think he is a top 5/10 in the league.

He's not

Glad you take discussions and confrontations well

Bouchard was bad yet again. Fact is FACT
Good D have bad games.

Hughes wasn’t good last game and is about to win the Norris.

Fact is FACT

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He turned the puck over and gave the Kings the start of what was a two goal lead. Without that we win.

Even worse was Bouchard turning it over by winding up for a slap shot when he had an LAK in his face.

I won't get into that slap shot wind up one tho, seems to in depth for you. Keep thinking Bouchard is great
.When u bring up a blocked shot in regards to Bouchard, you know you have no clue about hockey, or the player.

Btw, Draisaitl had a blocked slapshot too. I guess he must be a terrible player also by your logic.

You're hilarious. Just quit while you're behind

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It doesnt necessarily lose you puck possession if its done right.
That said even if it does lose you possession at least the puck is out of the zone and you get an opportunity to reset.
Sometimes just getting the puck out of the zone is the right play and that situation was a perfect example.
Trying to make a play when its a high risk situation is not a good idea. Bouchard needs to be much better in making that determination.
Virtually anything was preferable to what Bouchard ended up doing.
Right, but thats a pass Bouchard probably makes on the tape of Foegele off the boards 9 out of 10 times. I just think you're wrong in your fundamental belief of what a puck moving D should do there. In fact, I know thats what Coffey wants the D to do make a play when they're not under heavy pressure, which they weren't.

What was his recent quote? "First thing I said to the D was, you want the forwards to like you? Put the puck on their stick. You have time to put it around the boards? You have time to make a play".

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
.When u bring up a blocked shot in regards to Bouchard, you know you have no clue about hockey, or the player.

Btw, Draisaitl had a blocked slapshot too. I guess he must be a terrible player also by your logic.

You're hilarious. Just quit while you're behind
First off I'm not talking about a slapshot that was completed and blocked. I am talking about the fact he tried to wind up for a slapshot with a player in his face. Learn to read

I am talking about his questionable hockey IQ.

The fact he decided to wind up for a slapshot with an LAK in his face shows he currently lacks the ability to make the right decisions.

Nice chirp btw. You're definitely not my kind person to be around or discuss stuff with anyways

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
First off I'm not talking about a slapshot that was completed and blocked. I am talking about the fact he tried to wind up for a slapshot with a player in his face. Learn to read

I am talking about his questionable hockey IQ.

The fact he decided to wind up for a slapshot with an LAK in his face shows he currently lacks the ability to make the right decisions.

Nice chirp btw. You're definitely not my kind person to be around or discuss stuff with anyways
Draisaitl had one blocked with a guy ontop of him.
One of Bouchards biggest pedigrees pre draft was how much he was able to get shots on net. He absolutely destroyed everyone in that area.

So the fact you're talking about a single blocked shot by a player who thrives in getting shots on net is pure laughable. It's not Bouchard who is the pne lacking in IQ here,

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Right, but thats a pass Bouchard probably makes on the tape of Foegele off the boards 9 out of 10 times. I just think you're wrong in your fundamental belief of what a puck moving D should do there. In fact, I know thats what Coffey wants the D to do make a play when they're not under heavy pressure, which they weren't.

What was his recent quote? "First thing I said to the D was, you want the forwards to like you? Put the puck on their stick. You have time to put it around the boards? You have time to make a play"
Yes Coffee wants the defensemen to make plays, but actually 9 out of 10 times what Bouchard did there was the wrong play.

Hockey is a fast game, mistakes happen. They happen far too often with Bouchard. He needs to start processing the game better. He needs to make smarter/faster decisions.

If you are so keen on Bouchard passing this puck to Warren he could have passed it immediately on Foegel's stick (suicide type pass) or put more power on the bank pass. It was WAY too soft and easy for Kopitar to jump. The more you re watch the play the worse it gets.

Literally anything else would have been better. It was awful

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Draisaitl had one blocked with a guy ontop of him.
One of Bouchards biggest pedigrees pre draft was how much he was able to get shots on net. He absolutely destroyed everyone in that area.

So the fact you're talking about a single blocked shot by a player who thrives in getting shots on net is pure laughable. It's not Bouchard who is the pne lacking in IQ here,
K Bobby, for the second time I'm not talking about a blocked shot. There was no shot. I'm talking about him winding up for a slapshot when there was no time and space. He should have dumped the puck in.

Basic hockey play and he's again making bad decisions.

Do you understand I am just giving you examples of him not processing the game well? Examples of him making bad plays? Yes he is good at getting pucks on net. That is a positive of his game.

Who cares about Drai and the fact he shot the puck off somebody's shin pads? We are talking about Even Bouchard and what he does.

Reactions: Barrsy

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

What was his recent quote? "First thing I said to the D was, you want the forwards to like you? Put the puck on their stick. You have time to put it around the boards? You have time to make a play".
It has to do with making the right play.

Players have to be smart with their puck managment.
A player has to be able to properly read a situation and determine the appropriate response...you cant just go by the mantra...make any play at all costs.
If its too high risk then you dont do it.
On that specific play Bouchard actually did have a chance to make the right play. Put it up the boards and out of the zone where Foegele can get it and that way you beat the forechecker that was coming in hot. That was the higher percentage play.
Bouchard tired to force a low percentage play by casually soft dumping the puck inside the blueline (when he had a target in Foegele accelerating up ice) and that cost the team a goal.
That needed to be an assertive play. A play with prupose that required a sense of urgency.
Not a play where you casually throw it a few feet inside the blueline.

Bouchard has a history of not reading the situation properly in the D zone and not having a sense of urgency when required.
That play was another example of that. He has to remove that from his game.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

A player has to be able to properly read a situation and determine the appropriate response...you cant just go by the mantra...make any play at all costs.
On that specific play Bouchard actually did have a chance to make the right play. Put it up the boards and out of the zone where Foegele can get it and that way you beat the forechecker that was coming in hot. That was the higher percentage play.
Bouchard tired to force a low percentage play by casually soft dumping the puck inside the blueline (when he had a target in Foegele accelerating up ice) and that cost the team a goal.
That needed to be an assertive play. A play with prupose that required a sense of urgency.

Bouchard has a history of not reading the situation properly in the D zone and not having a sense of urgency when required.
He made the right play he just executed it poorly. Kopitar was gliding in and the Dman was already on his horse getting back. Dumping that out has next to zero chance at maintaining puck possession, so the only high percentage part of that play was the percentage that puck swaps possession. There was nothing low percentage about the play if he makes it correctly, in fact it wasn't even a challenging bank pass to make to Foegele in stride he just flubbed it badly. I guess in that we agree he wasn't assertive with the pass he made, but the play itself had nothing wrong with it if he executed properly.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes Coffee wants the defensemen to make plays, but actually 9 out of 10 times what Bouchard did there was the wrong play.

Hockey is a fast game, mistakes happen. They happen far too often with Bouchard. He needs to start processing the game better. He needs to make smarter/faster decisions.

If you are so keen on Bouchard passing this puck to Warren he could have passed it immediately on Foegel's stick (suicide type pass) or put more power on the bank pass. It was WAY too soft and easy for Kopitar to jump. The more you re watch the play the worse it gets.

Literally anything else would have been better. It was awful
You're right he could have but he hesitated and then had a stick in his lane so he held it a second longer and still had the bank pass available which he tried, but he angled it poorly off the boards causing it to travel parallel to the boards toward the blue line instead of hitting Foegele in stride if he took a sharper angle on the bank pass. There was nothing suicide about the pass if he did it correctly, and certainly nothing suicide if he didn't hesitate and hit Foegele right away. Kopitar wasn't even at the blue line yet when Foegele could have had the puck and he was barely at the top of the circle.

Bouchard executed the pass poorly, but I won't ever agree that if executed properly that was the wrong play and that putting the puck off the glass and out was the right play. Puck off the glass and out is a terrible philosophy unless you've been hemmed in and desperately need a zone clear, or you're under so much pressure with no other option. Neither of those were the case on that play.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Im actually flabergasted this is being debated by some ppl. I've watched the replay 20x.
Foegle's chest is facing the boards. When it leaves Bouchards stick, not only is Foegle still facing the boards, he actually skates towards them by about 6ft. Then he just abandons his path, and when the pass is picked off, he has no idea it has been cuz he's still skating up ice.
Anyone calling this Bouchards fault, a lazy play or a "soft dump" is clearly reading it wrong. It was an exceptional pass made for an easy pickup on the fly if the winger continues on his original path.

What's even more telling and undeniable is his reaction to Foegle after. What's even more telling is that Foegle had no idea the pass was made, and Drai reacted to it first. Whats even more telling is that Foegle was skating in Drais path when it got picked.
It's pretty obvious Bouch made that pass based on Foegles trajectory. It's not hus fault Fogs decided to abandon that path 2ft from the boards.

This is rarher elementary stuff

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He made the right play he just executed it poorly. Kopitar was gliding in and the Dman was already on his horse getting back. Dumping that out has next to zero chance at maintaining puck possession, so the only high percentage part of that play was the percentage that puck swaps possession. There was nothing low percentage about the play if he makes it correctly, in fact it wasn't even a challenging bank pass to make to Foegele in stride he just flubbed it badly. I guess in that we agree he wasn't assertive with the pass he made, but the play itself had nothing wrong with it if he executed properly.
Below is a post I made in another thread....it was either a lack of proper execution or Bouchard just didnt have the elevated level of urgency required in that situation.
I strongly suspect it was the latter.

I really dont have anything else to add.

I am willing to bet that exactly what Foegle was thinking. I have no doubt that he saw the Kings player coming in hot and thought that the puck had to exit the zone and that Bouchard would make the correct play.

My sense is that situation actually played into what was a weakness for Bouchard his first couple of seasons and its something that still haunts him today oocasionally.
That weakness is recognizing the urgency of the situation.
We saw that occasionally during this last season (in O/T against Colorado) and I think that we saw that again in game 2.
It didnt even have to go off the glass...up the boards would have been fine as long as he had enough velocity on the puck to get it out of the zone.
It all comes down to Bouchard not recognizing the urgency of the situation which IMO is something he needs to eliminate from his game.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Below is a post I made in another thread....it was either a lack of proper execution or Bouchard just didnt have the elevated level of urgency required in that situation.

I think the most frustrating thing about this, is watching Bouchard with the puck, hes got such a high IQ offensively, he should be able to apply that to defensive situations to understand when he needs to be more urgent and not.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Im actually flabergasted this is being debated by some ppl. I've watched the replay 20x.
Foegle's chest is facing the boards. When it leaves Bouchards stick, not only is Foegle still facing the boards, he actually skates towards them by about 6ft. Then he just abandons his path, and when the pass is picked off, he has no idea it has been cuz he's still skating up ice.
Anyone calling this Bouchards fault, a lazy play or a "soft dump" is clearly reading it wrong. It was an exceptional pass made for an easy pickup on the fly if the winger continues on his original path.

What's even more telling and undeniable is his reaction to Foegle after. What's even more telling is that Foegle had no idea the pass was made, and Drai reacted to it first. Whats even more telling is that Foegle was skating in Drais path when it got picked.
It's pretty obvious Bouch made that pass based on Foegles trajectory. It's not hus fault Fogs decided to abandon that path 2ft from the boards.

This is rarher elementary stuff
It was a ridiculously soft and dangerous pass. Your asking a plyer to take a soft, basically blind pass. And blaming it on the would be victim.
Its just another example of Bouchard's woeful lack of hockey acumen/ give a sit on anything but the offensive side of things.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the most frustrating thing about this, is watching Bouchard with the puck, hes got such a high IQ offensively, he should be able to apply that to defensive situations to understand when he needs to be more urgent and not.
Exactly. :nod:

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

This is it exactly.
Ive come to the conclusion this is who he is and you just have to take the good with the bad. He cant eliminate what he is. Its him. Its like thinking/hoping that Skinner is going to get to have an NHL calibre glove hand. He isnt. He just has to manage it.
Bouchards hockey personality aint going to change. You just hope he gets better in what hes really bad at. Which in general he kinda has.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
It was a ridiculously soft and dangerous pass. Your asking a plyer to take a soft, basically blind pass. And blaming it on the would be victim.
Its just another example of Bouchard's woeful lack of hockey acumen/ give a sit on anything but the offensive side of things.
Oh really..
Screenshot_20240426_184726_NHL.jpg

Screenshot_20240426_184743_NHL.jpg

Screenshot_20240426_184803_NHL.jpg

If you can't see that on the 3rd pic Fogs turns his head as the pass was made then I can't help you. This is also the point he decides to skate straight. At this point you can see the puck banking off the boards behind him. Look at his chest...still facing the boards. WTF was Bouch supposed to think he was doing here?

Foegle showed him one thing then did another. The idea is to deke your opponents...not your own players.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Imagine blaming McDavid passing to Drai on the PP if Drai turned his back to the puck before it got to him, and arguing that McD should have anticipated the stupid play by Drai

It's literally the same thing

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Oh really.. View attachment 860142

View attachment 860143

View attachment 860144

If you can't see that on the 3rd pic Fogs turns his head as the pass was made then I can't help you. This is also the point he decides to skate straight. At this point the puck is also banking off the boards behind him. Look at his chest...still facing the boards. WTF was Bouch supposed to think he was doing here?

Foegle showed him one thing then did another. The idea is to deke your opponents...not your own players.
Yes, oh really. You might wanna consider it was a super dangerous pass with a missile coming the other way.
Or not. Cause you know BOUCH BOMBS!!!!!

Imagine blaming McDavid passing to Drai on the PP if Drai turned his back to the puck before it got to him, and arguing that McD should have anticipated the stupid play by Drai

It's literally the same thing
Yes, fantastic analogy. Very good

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Yes, oh really. You might wanna consider it was a super dangerous pass with a missile coming the other way.
Or not. Cause you know BOUCH BOMBS!!!!!

Yes, fantastic analogy. Very g
Consider what, your fantasy scenario? It's not Bouchards job on that particular play to be paying attention to Kopy. who's not a threat at the time of pass cuz he's OUTSIDE the Ozone He's already doing 2 things at once in order of importance. A) He's avoiding the most immediate threat beside him. So he makes the HIGH IQ PLAY and pushes the pass as far away from him to avoid a pick 1. B)He's paying attention to his outlet pass, Fogs, who clearly is showing him the boards are where he's headed. He makes the , once again, HIGH IQ PLAY by feathering a pass to time the point of contact w/ Fogs.

You understand the term....take a hit to make a play? It's very common in the NHL and guys are always critisized for not doing so. Well, It was Fogs job to make the play there at the blueline

Suicide passes happen dozens of times a game. The reason they all don't end in blood baths is the opponent always doesn't lay into the hit, the reciever recognizes it and avoids it with a chip, and or takes the hit to still make a play

But Bouchard haters will ignore all of that to be proven right.

It's like flat earthers, only cupider

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
You are proving my point. He crapped out 4 points which is why some people on here think he is a top 5/10 in the league.

He's not

Glad you take discussions and confrontations well

Bouchard was bad yet again. Fact is FACT
Bouchard is a top 10 point producing Dman in the league. No one is claiming him to be top 5 overall Dman

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad