Proposal: Draisaitl to Montreal

Conor McDavitt

Oct 17, 2017
Sorry Oiler fans.This is real bad for you guys.
Luckily it is nothing more then online nonsense and is never going to happen anyway. The Oilers do not need need Price and will not be trading a 22 year old that is already a very good player for a 29 year old with only another year on his contract.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Luckily it is nothing more then online nonsense and is never going to happen anyway. The Oilers do not need need Price and will not be trading a 22 year old that is already a very good player for a 29 year old with only another year on his contract.
The op's offer has nothing to do with Price. It was
Drouin
2nd
McCarron
Which was bad for the Oilers. Price on the other hand would be worth him and more.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
In hindsight could you imagine if....

TOR Matthews
WPG Laine
CBJ Dubois
MTL Sergachev
CGY Puljujarvi
VAN Juolevi
ARI Tkachuk
BUF Nylander

...we walked out of that draft with Subban and KELLER!!!!!

I think Montreal still would have taken Pulju when surprised to find him available and the rest would have remained the same... didn't Oil mgmt have a major crush on Sergachev anyway? I think I like that outcome better.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yes please ,since we are not the ones asking for RNH. Most of us wouldn't offer what the Oilers are asking for a 2nd line center.

Not you specifically maybe but there see an awful lot of RNH to Montreal threads started by Habs fans - and the offers are almost exclusively completely underwhelming.

Also where the heck is the OP in all this mess? I'm not sure what's more annoying, thread starters that defend their awful proposals to the death or the ones that start these threads then hide in the bushes and watch the world burn.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Price's lack of success in the playoffs is due to the Habs not being able to score. Sorry, not buying into Price is not worth it BS. However, I do respect that you rather take your chances with Talbot. If Talbot is the goalie you think he is, he won't be costing $5M for very long. Expect to pay him north of $7M very soon! So many people are not factoring in inflation and the cap likely to be $80M next year. Price's contract and age structure is very similar to Lundqvist (% of cap). It's nowhere near as bad as what most are pretending it to be.

Just for the record, I think Price was the best goalie in the league. No question in my mind.

His injuries are a major concern though. Lundquist did not have injury issues that Price has had, and Price is too young to be battling serious injuries like that. I know... I'm a 42 year old goalie.

Also, Price's career SPCT in the playoffs is 0.914. The league average save percentage in the playoffs is:
2017: 0.920
2016: 0.917
2015: 0.921
2014: 0.912
2013: 0.923
2012: 0.921
2011: 0.916

Admittedly, Price has done better more recently (and terribly early in his career), but it's hard to argue he's a playoff performer.

Also, Cam Talbot is the classic late-bloomer. Like Roloson he didn't become a starter until he was almost 30. And he'll be 32 when he's back up for contract. Those guys DO NOT command $7M contracts, just never. Bob and Varlamov and probably plenty other UFA goalies will be coming due the same summer as well (for only cap, no Draisaitl-like assets).

We'll also likely pick up a younger goalie (or two) over the next two summers. It's clear we'll be needing a longer term fix, but still... no point in over-spending on it now.

Anyway... going forward I'm much happier saving $2.5M in cap by keeping the younger, healthier Drai vs Price.

No deal to be made.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Why creating a Drouin vs Draisatl proposal when it has been reported that Chiarelli has offered Draisatl for a deal where Pacioretty is involved? I think that this is what is the main interest for everybody

Where has that been reported? That would be surprising to say the least.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just for the record, I think Price was the best goalie in the league. No question in my mind.

His injuries are a major concern though. Lundquist did not have injury issues that Price has had, and Price is too young to be battling serious injuries like that. I know... I'm a 42 year old goalie.

Also, Price's career SPCT in the playoffs is 0.914. The league average save percentage in the playoffs is:
2017: 0.920
2016: 0.917
2015: 0.921
2014: 0.912
2013: 0.923
2012: 0.921
2011: 0.916

Admittedly, Price has done better more recently (and terribly early in his career), but it's hard to argue he's a playoff performer.

Anyway... going forward I'm much happier saving $2.5M in cap by keeping the younger, healthier Drai vs Price.

No deal to be made.

Aren't the Habs "Nothing without Price"? ;)

In all honestly, I don't think Price is being traded this season. However, what we do from now till the start of next season will dictate how Price feels about our ability to win a cup in his next 8 years. If Price asks for a trade, teams will step up and the Oilers may or may not be one of them. Habs would likely retain $1M and the offers would come in. Pretending that Price would not be a piece many teams would drool over is unreasonable.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Where has that been reported? That would be surprising to say the least.

Check back a page or two. It was 'reported' by the low rent French sports version of your crazy uncle Bob ranting about Muslims on his Facebook page. No quotes, no sources, utterly unsubstantiated garbage.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Funny because we haven't seen/heard anything of sorts around here...

Yep... nobody in hockey-crazed Edmonton has heard anything about it... yet it was reported on TSN radio... according to some blogger... uh-huh... totally believable

Reactions: THall4

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

In all honestly, I don't think Price is being traded this season. However, what we do from now till the start of next season will dictate how Price feels about our ability to win a cup in his next 8 years. If Price asks for a trade, teams will step up and the Oilers may or may not be one of them. Habs would likely retain $1M and the offers would come in. Pretending that Price would not be a piece many teams would drool over is unreasonable.

Yeah... you really aren't listening. Being interested in Price and offering a player who is arguably equivalent in value, 8 years younger and signed for less are two entirely different things.

You can have a 1st or two and A- prospects in two years time when you commit to a rebuild.... if you retain, or the cap goes up, you might even avoid taking a 3-4M cap dump.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
1. Yes
2. Maroon + Strome

Walk away from Maroon and Strome and the Oilers are well below cap ceiling next year.

Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi (20M)
Caggiula - Draisaitl- Yamamoto (12)
Slepychev-RNH-Kassian (9M)
Khaira-4th liner - 4th liner (3M)
~45M

Yes i did walk away from all the ufas and rfas.
18-19
9 players earn 4 mil. + total 55 mil.
1 player earns 2 mil total 57
13 other contracts at 1 mil max total 70 (13 X 1.5 mil is 20 mil or 77 total)

That means no raise for Slepychez, Caggiula, Nurse, Benning
Plus 1 mil Pouliot?

13 out of 23 would earn 1 mil max? 4 elc but still...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes i did walk away from all the ufas and rfas.
18-19
9 players earn 4 mil. + total 55 mil.
1 player earns 2 mil total 57
13 other contracts at 1 mil max total 70 (13 X 1.5 mil is 20 mil or 77 total)

That means no raise for Slepychez, Caggiula, Nurse, Benning
Plus 1 mil Pouliot?

13 out of 23 would earn 1 mil max? 4 elc but still...

If you walked away from all free agents, you probably added things up wrong, or aren't considering the massive cap increase we will see thanks to Vegas raking in so much dough.

As of right now we're at 65.5 roughly for next year, including the raise to McDavid. We have 13 guys making roughly 14 million coming off of the books total, but only need to bring 8 of those (or replacements) back - Nurse, Benning, Brossoit, Letestu, Maroon, Slepyshev, Strome and Cagguila. The rest of the spots can be replaced by guys getting promotions from the minors or junior (Bear, Jones, Yamamoto, Beson, Mantha are all possibilities). Now, consider that the cap is likely going to hit 80 million at least next year, that's 15 million for 8 players with only 1 guy (Nurse) due a big raise. We're fine for cap space next year, we just don't have the luxury of going after high priced free agents for the next few summers.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I'm sure this was brought up before but I'll throw it put there anyway...

Pacioretty & Galchenyuk for Draisaitl

If this is not close for Oilers fans then there's no deal to be made and I agree that Drai to MTL threads should be banned from HF.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta

*sigh* you're not listening ... we have no interest in Price, he's a good even great goalie but he's not worth 10.5 and certainly not till he's 38, he's been often injured and gets cold when it matters.

even if it was Price and a 1st for drai its still no

I hope I'm being kind enough and not hurting ur feelings

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta

If this is not close for Oilers fans then there's no deal to be made and I agree that Drai to MTL threads should be banned from HF.

so a 29 year old 1 year away from ufa and a guy that has spent time on ur 4th line (two different coaches ) and isn't even a C... for drai, yes pls lock all threads Mont fans seem to think they should be the only team to come out well in trades

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
so a 29 year old 1 year away from ufa and a guy that has spent time on ur 4th line (two different coaches ) and isn't even a C... for drai, yes pls lock all threads Mont fans seem to think they should be the only team to come out well in trades

Note here a perfect example of the authors use of hyperbole to emphasize his displeasure.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Nope. Draisaitl moves for a prime aged surefire #1 defenceman with term, or not at all.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Do you really think the Habs would ever retain on Weber for the next 8 years? Not a snowsballs chance in hell.
Within reason, the Habs don't have the pieces for Draisaitl.

Yeah sure if they retain big on Price or Weber then yes they do, but without that, they can't work a trade for him.

Of course they can m8, by overpaying.

Saying they can't is illogic.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
That's fine. The Oilers will just keep their has-been player then.

Of course you took a fraction of my comment.

Never said he was has-been, but you know that loser's mentality theory that lowered Hall's value?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->