Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I don't see too many comparisons with Samuelsson and McIlrath.

Samuelsson and say a Marc Staal maybe.

McIlrath was more of an enforcer who had enough skills to turn the heads of the scouting community. He was a guy who could potentially develop into a major role. He liked to punish people. Massive open ice hitter who came with some wicked intentions. Those attributes weren't enough to make it. Truth is he wasn't ranked too far from where he was selected. 5-10 picks off his ranking.

Samuelson is a big kid who is more of a steady Eddie. Not nearly as physical. If they reached in the first for him, I would assume it would be with their last 1st round pick. I wouldn't be totally disappointed there but I do have others I would rather see there. K Andre Miller being one. If he was a 2nd rounder I would be doing high fives.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Does Gorton attempt to make a trade with a roster player for a top 10 pick?

Gorton tried to acquire #4 and #7 in the 2016 draft. He acquired #7 in 2017. The Rangers have the picks to make that type of move but maybe they can add another top pick and keep their own picks.

A fast/accelerates rebuild with multiple quality/high end young players would work.

The Rangers acquire another #1 pick for 2019 in a separate transaction.
Would be surprised if any top 10 picks are traded. Hopefully there’s a gm who needs players right now!

Reactions: bl02

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I was thinking about them during that game. Maybe the pressure of playing in their hometown is a bit much. Change of scenery might do the trick. He had higher expectations then his results on paper showed this year.

In terms of Mike, he just has nothing else to go along with that speed.

Rico Fata-esque.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't see too many comparisons with Samuelsson and McIlrath.

Samuelsson and say a Marc Staal maybe.

McIlrath was more of an enforcer who had enough skills to turn the heads of the scouting community. He was a guy who could potentially develop into a major role. He liked to punish people. Massive open ice hitter who came with some wicked intentions. Those attributes weren't enough to make it. Truth is he wasn't ranked too far from where he was selected. 5-10 picks off his ranking.

Samuelson is a big kid who is more of a steady Eddie. Not nearly as physical. If they reached in the first for him, I would assume it would be with their last 1st round pick. I wouldn't be totally disappointed there but I do have others I would rather see there. K Andre Miller being one. If he was a 2nd rounder I would be doing high fives.

IMO McIlrath's career got derailed at least in large part by injuries. That kneecap displacement set him back pretty much two years. Another season more than less sitting with the Rangers didn't help either. He was caught between a rock and a hard place at that point with the Rangers afraid he'd get picked off the waiver wire if they tried to send him down. That kid needed development time and his actual development turned into a mess......though we can add that when the Rangers drafted him big nasty defensemen were still a thing and a couple years later the entire league had shifted towards mobile puck moving defensemen. He wasn't born at a lucky time and he didn't have a lot of luck besides that.

IMO if the Rangers draft a large defensive minded guy they need to make sure he 1) skates well and 2) can handle and move the puck a lot better than Marc Staal. That kind of player might be okay with our NJ 2nd or a third rounder. Keeping in mind as well that Ryan Lindgren is on his way. He's not that big and not very offensive minded but he skates and defends well and loves to hit.

Reactions: Lion Hound

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Need to get down to 9th at very least. Somehow grab Dobson or Bouchard (the latter will likely be gone). Then good vibes for Bokk and Kravtsov (Or Addison) for a very nice trio of first round selections.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Need to get down to 9th at very least. Somehow grab Dobson or Bouchard (the latter will likely be gone). Then good vibes for Bokk and Kravtsov (Or Addison) for a very nice trio of first round selections.
Arizona is 12-5-1 in their last 18 games and Edmonton is playing better as well. Gonna have to win the lottery cus everyone else is tanking.

Reactions: bl02

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Would be surprised if any top 10 picks are traded. Hopefully there’s a gm who needs players right now!

Edmonton is desperate. Their GM is on the hot seat. Scott Howson is part of their front office. Former Columbus GM. Rick Nash trade talks in 2012. He loves Kreider who would be the perfect fit with CMD. I understand the reluctance from the fanbase to move Kreider but Gorton did trade Stepan and McDonagh. The Rangers and Edmonton did discuss a swap for #4 in 2016.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I would hate to let Kreider go, but he might be having the best stretch of his career right now... I could see the Rangers selling high on him. May not be popular with the fans, but if the Rangers are truly rebuilding and the Oilers offer a pick in the 7-10 range for him I would seriously consider it. Stepan brought back the 7th + a decent prospect and you can argue Kreider is at least as good and a year younger right now.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
IMO McIlrath's career got derailed at least in large part by injuries. That kneecap displacement set him back pretty much two years. Another season more than less sitting with the Rangers didn't help either. He was caught between a rock and a hard place at that point with the Rangers afraid he'd get picked off the waiver wire if they tried to send him down. That kid needed development time and his actual development turned into a mess......though we can add that when the Rangers drafted him big nasty defensemen were still a thing and a couple years later the entire league had shifted towards mobile puck moving defensemen. He wasn't born at a lucky time and he didn't have a lot of luck besides that.

IMO if the Rangers draft a large defensive minded guy they need to make sure he 1) skates well and 2) can handle and move the puck a lot better than Marc Staal. That kind of player might be okay with our NJ 2nd or a third rounder. Keeping in mind as well that Ryan Lindgren is on his way. He's not that big and not very offensive minded but he skates and defends well and loves to hit.

Last year Nicky Hague was a good comparision for McIlrath. He's a big nasty physical guy, who if all else failed could have been a straight up enforcer. Hague however has turned the corner in his development. He's had an exceptional season and looks like he is well on his way to becoming what we in Ranger-land had hopes McIlrath would turn into.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Edmonton is desperate. Their GM is on the hot seat. Scott Howson is part of their front office. Former Columbus GM. Rick Nash trade talks in 2012. He loves Kreider who would be the perfect fit with CMD. I understand the reluctance from the fanbase to move Kreider but Gorton did trade Stepan and McDonagh. The Rangers and Edmonton did discuss a swap for #4 in 2016.

Top 3 I would strongly consider trading Kreider for. 4-10, Edmonton needs to add a significant prospect.

I'm a Kreider fan for sure. He is the only player a really don't want to see moved from here. He's still in the fight. Everyone else checked out at the mid season point.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
That have to be after the lottery results. They can’t be that stupid. Right? Anybody else who we can identify as desperate? If Dallas misses the playoffs, are they in trouble? Opinions?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
That have to be after the lottery results. They can’t be that stupid. Right? Anybody else who we can identify as desperate? If Dallas misses the playoffs, are they in trouble? Opinions?
Yeah, no way anyone trades a lottery pick until they know what it's worth. Not that there's really any chance they would at this point, even out of desperation, as the lottery results are determined fairly early on in the POs, IIRC.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Last year Nicky Hague was a good comparision for McIlrath. He's a big nasty physical guy, who if all else failed could have been a straight up enforcer. Hague however has turned the corner in his development. He's had an exceptional season and looks like he is well on his way to becoming what we in Ranger-land had hopes McIlrath would turn into.

Hague would have been a very good late 1st or early 2nd round pick for us if we'd had such a pick. Rangers made a great choice with Chytil anyway but if we'd sold off assets last year we might have had a shot at Hague.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I would probably argue that the progress wasn't as significant as one would've hoped, even before he turned pro.

Generally speaking, how a player performs in his D-1 and D-2 seasons goes a long way in determining their progress.

Certain guys, be it McIlrath, Lundmark, Sanguinetti, etc. showed some concerns before they ever joined the AHL roster.

Reactions: Joey Bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would probably argue that the progress wasn't as significant as one would've hoped, even before he turned pro.

Generally speaking, how a player performs in his D-1 and D-2 seasons goes a long way in determining their progress.

Certain guys, be it McIlrath, Lundmark, Sanguinetti, etc. showed some concerns before they ever joined the AHL roster.

That's true too...but the dislocated kneecap put him out of the lineup for more than the first half of his rookie pro year and I remember Dylan saying it was another year after that before it felt right. You need your kneecaps for mobility--they have to rotate every time you make a cut or a turn and Dylan's skating was very good for his size in a straight line but his mobility needed a lot of work. IMO his development as a young player was severely hampered by that injury that he got out of development camp. Not as bad an injury as what happened to Cherneski who shattered his kneecap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad