Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
<linguistic device that implies extreme hockey failure> for <draft eligible player who's last name rhymes with the previously mentioned device>

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Questions from someone who relies on the rest of you and pre draft reports to get a sense of prospects:

Is Dahlin as good as he appears to be? I mean, he's the one player in his class I've looked at this early, and I swear, he looks like he could be the defensive equivalent to McDavid. Potentially better even than Erik Karlsson. Am I crazy?

Is there an obvious Eichel to Dahlin's McDavid?

Are there any gamebreaking forward types? Who are they, and how do they profile?

Same for D – outside of Dahlin, who are they, and how do they profile?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Questions from someone who relies on the rest of you and pre draft reports to get a sense of prospects:

Is Dahlin as good as he appears to be? I mean, he's the one player in his class I've looked at this early, and I swear, he looks like he could be the defensive equivalent to McDavid. Potentially better even than EK. Am I crazy?

Is there an obvious Eichel to Dahlin's McDavid?

Are there any gamebreaking forward types? Who are they, and how do they profile?

Same for D – outside of Dahlin, who are they, and how do they profile?

Yes, he's a potential generational player. Probably pretty close to McDavid, not yet sure if he's McDavid level, better or worse, but in the ballpark somewhere. Svechnikov is the clear #2. Winger with size, speed, skill, hockey IQ. Reminiscent of a winger Malkin, and not just the comparison stylistically, they actually are probably pretty similar in talent level as draft eligibles. There is a lot of separation between 1 and 2, and then 2 and 3, in my opinion at least.

I'm gonna try to make an early top 31, but some early F's I like are Khovanov, Veleno, Zadina, Farabee, Wise, Kotkaniemi, and some early D's I like are Wilde, Boqvist, Merkley, McIsaac, Woo.

I think this draft is deep in just about everything other than #1C's. There's no McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, but outside of that, this draft seems to be good in every aspect. Looks to be great depth years for USA and Canada. Really good top end and depth years for Russia and Sweden. Terrible year for Finland, and around average for the non-big name talent producers.

Thats just my early read on this draft.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Yes, he's a potential generational player. Probably pretty close to McDavid, not yet sure if he's McDavid level, better or worse, but in the ballpark somewhere. Svechnikov is the clear #2. Winger with size, speed, skill, hockey IQ. Reminiscent of a winger Malkin, and not just the comparison stylistically, they actually are probably pretty similar in talent level as draft eligibles. There is a lot of separation between 1 and 2, and then 2 and 3, in my opinion at least.

I'm gonna try to make an early top 31, but some early F's I like are Khovanov, Veleno, Zadina, Farabee, Wise, Kotkaniemi, and some early D's I like are Wilde, Boqvist, Merkley, McIsaac, Woo.

I think this draft is deep in just about everything other than #1C's. There's no McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, but outside of that, this draft seems to be good in every aspect. Looks to be great depth years for USA and Canada. Really good top end and depth years for Russia and Sweden. Terrible year for Finland, and around average for the non-big name talent producers.

Thats just my early read on this draft.

Awesome - really appreciated. Thanks!

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Was listening to NHL radio on Sirius earlier today. Hosts were talking Vegas draft and how incredible they did. They were discussing prospects. Brannstrom came up. One of them said earlier on the season they were at a game and ran into Gordie Clark. They asked him about a player there. He said he was too busy watching Brannstrom. Im thinking #21 would be different if he was on the board still.

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I think Svechnikov is going to be amazing. I see him as perennially competing for scoring titles. Every attribute you can think of for success offensively, he has in spades. I hate to use a cliche, but he has a real "nose for the net," too.

I like Dahlin, but I think he is slightly overrated. I know most people think he is the clear #1, but I think it is a lot closer between him and Svechnikov. I think a few years from now, Andrei Svechnikov carrying the puck on a rush will be one of the most fear-inducing sights in this league.

I also love Oliver Wahlstrom. He has the potential to be a top all-around forward, IMO. I've heard people criticize his defensive game, but he looks fine to me at both ends of the ice.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I also love Oliver Wahlstrom. He has the potential to be a top all-around forward, IMO. I've heard people criticize his defensive game, but he looks fine to me at both ends of the ice.

I'm probably lower on Wahlstrom's game than most people. I always see people complimenting him, and I find myself feeling like my opinion qualifies me to argue against the guy simply due to not thinking he's as good as some think, even though I obviously don't dislike him, I just don't see this "great" play people talk about. I think he's actually pretty good, but if we are talking about him as one of the best in the 2018 draft, its hard to believe, based on what I've watched.

I watched him a lot with the NTDP17 team, and he was not the best forward, wasn't even one of the best forwards. I watched that team play a lot because its a very talented team, watched it way more than the older team that had less talent. In nearly every game I watched, Wise, Farabee, Weiss were overshadowing him among forwards. In some games, I thought he was flat out bad. Then he got promoted to the older age group, and I was pretty surprised. He had a few goals in the WJC-18, but some of the teams in that tournament are very bad, and he played on the winning team with players who were excellent.

But maybe I've just watched the wrong games. I see a low hockey IQ player who's not a good passer, and doesn't drive play. He's clearly a goal scorer. Good skater, and good size, but we are talking about a player who was third on his own team in goals last season, and T4 in points. I think he's good, maybe like late 1st/early 2nd type of good, but as a top 5-10 pick? I just don't see it.

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I'm probably lower on Wahlstrom's game than most people. I always see people complimenting him, and I find myself feeling like my opinion qualifies me to argue against the guy simply due to not thinking he's as good as some think, even though I obviously don't dislike him, I just don't see this "great" play people talk about. I think he's actually pretty good, but if we are talking about him as one of the best in the 2018 draft, its hard to believe, based on what I've watched.

I watched him a lot with the NTDP17 team, and he was not the best forward, wasn't even one of the best forwards. I watched that team play a lot because its a very talented team, watched it way more than the older team that had less talent. In nearly every game I watched, Wise, Farabee, Weiss were overshadowing him among forwards. In some games, I thought he was flat out bad. Then he got promoted to the older age group, and I was pretty surprised. He had a few goals in the WJC-18, but some of the teams in that tournament are very bad, and he played on the winning team with players who were excellent.

But maybe I've just watched the wrong games. I see a low hockey IQ player who's not a good passer, and doesn't drive play. He's clearly a goal scorer. Good skater, and good size, but we are talking about a player who was third on his own team in goals last season, and T4 in points. I think he's good, maybe like late 1st/early 2nd type of good, but as a top 5-10 pick? I just don't see it.

When I say I love him, I don't mean that in the "he's a superstar in the making" way. He reminds me a little bit of Lias Andersson, actually, in the sense that I think he will definitely be an NHL player. Maybe not a superstar, but a good player.

He's not a great passer, I'll give you that. It's probably his weakest area. He's certainly more of a goalscorer. But I think he has above average hockey IQ, even while not being a terrific passer. I like his play away from the puck. As far as his size, he is strong, and he knows how to use his physical toolkit away from the puck. I've seen him win a lot of battles and power his way through traffic to open ice.

Those guys you mentioned probably have higher ceilings, but he has the higher floor, IMO.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Let the Artyom Zub watch start!! :) Seriously, if this kid was eligible -- which someone concluded, I've not verified it -- I am surprised he wasn't drafted. That was just a bit dumb pass over. Would have loved to get him tied up.

Which KHL players have expireing contracts?

Just for the record, Zub is a pretty interesting player. Very one dimensional defensively, RHS, but a completel junk yard dog who would eat barbwire for breakfast if you put it on a plate in front of him. Sometimes he just targets a star forward in a game and like lands 5 big hits on him per period. And he is actually pretty good/talented. SKA picked him up and he made the Russian National Team for the WCHs despite very tough competition. Not a bad first pass.

Have basically not seen anyone like him since Kasparaitis. Ulfie type, complete throwback.

6'2 205 lbs

zub_artem_15-16_ep.jpg

Last edited:

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
For the first time ever a NHL draft is going to be really exciting for norwegian hockey fans.

Our very own Mathias Emilio Pettersen is up for grabs!

He is a great prospect, and I think he will be picked in the 2nd or 3rd round, might even have a shot at being picked in 1st round, depending on his coming season.

He came over to the US as a 14 year old, playing junior hockey for South Kent School U16 for two years. (2014-2016)
Last season he played for Omaha Lancers in the USHL.
This may he got traded to the Muskegon Lumberjacks, and will play for them one season.
From 2018 he will commit to University of Denver, where he is guaranteed a four year scholarship.

He actually has had his own thread on the main board since he was 6 years old....:)
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=308318

https://www.norwegianamerican.com/sports/meet-emilio-pettersen-norwegian-teen-begins-us-hockey-career/

Last edited:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
This draft is so insanely stacked.

Dahlin and Svechnikov clear 1-2 after that i'm suuuuper high on Quinn Hughes and Filip Zadina, they both dominated at U18 level this season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Here's my initial rankings for the 2018 draft going into this season. I'll leave it at 45.

1. Rasmus Dahlin
2. Andrei Svechnikov
3. Adam Boqvist
4. Bode Wilde
5. Joe Veleno
6. Jared McIsaac
7. Alex Khovanov
8. Jett Woo
9. Filip Zadina
10. Ryan Merkley
11. Joel Farabee
12. Ty Smith
13. Jake Wise
14. Jesperi Kotkaniemi
15. Anderson MacDonald
16. K'Andre Miller
17. Ryan McLeod
18. Quinn Hughes
19. Isac Lundestrom
20. Evan Bouchard
21. Brady Tkachuk
22. Jacob Olofsson
23. Grigori Denisenko
24. Mattias Samuelsson
25. Vitaly Kravtsov
26. Philipp Kurashev
27. Benoit Olivier Grouix
28. Jesse Ylonen
29. Dominik Bokk
30. Oliver Wahlstrom
31. Danila Galenyuk
32. Jakub Skarek
33. Nando Eggenberger
34. Ty Emberson
35. Adam Ginning
36. Akil Thomas
37. Rasmus Kupari
38. Allan McShane
39. Nico Gross
40. Ty Dellandrea
41. Jakub Lauko
42. Keegan Karki
43. Jack McBain
44. David Gustafsson
45. Jacob Ingham

1, 2 is obvious. Outside of 1, 2, Boqvist is my favorite player in this draft. He legitimately might be the next Erik Karlsson. I know thats said a lot about many players, but the skill-set is so similar. Big fan of McIsaac. I think he's one of the few that could break up 1-2, if he has a great season. Awesome two way potential. Merkley is fun to watch. I have him a little lower than some might have him, but he easily could be top 5 if he cleans up his defense. Kotkaniemi is probably the lone really good Finn in a weak draft for Finland. Miller is Brady Skjei size, skating, athleticism starter kit. He's not that good right now, but very projectable. I think Kravtsov could move further up this list with a big season in the KHL. Skarek is the top goalie in this draft. I'm not sure he's as good as any of the top few goalies in the 2017 draft, but he has shown very well. McBain played off the radar this year. Some really like his game, he could be a big riser.

Last edited:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
My thoughts on that list: Hughes and Tkachuk too low, probably Wahlström too, but really, Hughes is SOOO good... I also think Zadina should be top 5.
I don't like Ginning at all, he looked like a pylon at U18 WJC and he wasn't much better at the five nations in February.

Don't really have too big of an opinion on the rest since i haven't seen much of most of them :)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

A Players

Rasmus Dahlin-D-Sweden
Quinn Hughes-D-NTDP U18
Joel Farabee-F-NTDP U17
Jared McIsaac-D-Halifax(QMJHL)
Milos Roman-F-Ocelari Trinec(SVK)
Andrei Svechnikov-F-Muskegon(USHL)
Brady Tkachuk-F-NTDP U18
Oliver Wahlstrom-F-NTDP U17
Jett Woo-D-Moose Jaw(WHL)
Filip Zadina-F-Dynamo Pardubice(CZE)

B Players

Adam Boqvist-D-Brynas Gavle(SWE)
Paul Cotter-F-Brookings(NAHL)
Nando Eggenberger-F-Switzerland
Ty Emberson-D-NTDP U17
Nico Gross-D-EVG Academy(SUI)
Johnny Gruden-F-NTDP U17
Gavin Hain-F-Grand Rapids(MN HS)
Jack Jensen-F-Eden Prairie HS(MN)
Xander Lamppa-F-Rochester John Marshall(MN HS)
Blake McLaughlin-F-Grand Rapids(MN HS)
K’Andre Miller-D-NTDP U17
Jacob Semik-D-Dubuque(USHL)
Ty Smith-D-Spokane(WHL)
Akil Thomas-F-Niagara(OHL)
Tyler Weiss-F-NTDP U17
Bode Wilde-D-NTDP U17
Jake Wise-F-NTDP U17
Jesse Ylonen-F-Espoo(FIN)

C Players

Mikhail Bitsadze-Balashihka(RUS)
Tyler Borsch-D-Maple Grove
Bryce Brodzinski-F-Blaine(MN HS)
Braden Costello-F-Des Moines(USHL)
Isaiah DiLaura-G-Lakeville South
Brehdan Engum-D-Burnsville
Jace Foskey-D-Tri-City(USHL)
Aidan Fulp-D-Victory Honda U16
Patrick Giles-F-NTDP U17
Tanner Glasrud-D-Delano(MN HS)
Curtis Hall-F-Youngstown(USHL)
Chase Hamstad-F-White Bear Lake(MN HS)
Chase Hartje-D-Moose Jaw(WHL)
Ben Helgeson-F-Hill-Murray
Blade Jenkins-F-NTDP U17
Calen Kiefiuk-F-Bloomington
Jachym Kondelik-F-Muskegon(USHL)
Christian Krygier-D-Lincoln(USHL)
Luke Loheit-F-Minnetonka(MN HS)
Jaxon Nelson-F-Sioux Falls(USHL)
Tony Malinowski-D-Oakland Jr. Grizzlies(T1EHL)
Devlin McCabe-F-St. Paul Academy
Ryan O’Reilly-F-Dallas Stars U16(T1EHL)
Jack Perbix-F-Elk River(MN HS)
Jacob Pivonka-F-NTDP U17
Carter Randklev-F-Moorhead(MN HS)
Jack Randl-F-Omaha(USHL)
Ryan Savage-F-Honeybaked U16
Colin Schmidt-F-Wayzata(MN HS)
Levi Stauber-F-Duluth Marshall(MN HS)
Zach Stejskal-G-Grand Rapids(MN HS)
Samuel Stevens-F-Shattuck-St. Mary’s
Andrew Stoneman-F-Shattuck-St. Mary’s
Peter Tabor-D-Holy Family(MN HS)
Blaine Warnert-F-Chaska(MN HS)
Brady Ziemer-D-Holy Family(MN HS)

The Americans came back with a loaded year after a bad 2007 draft class. The development program in Ann Arbor will be churning out more NHL players. Time for Jeff Gorton to add another #1 for 2018.

Minnesota high school hockey is loaded.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My thoughts on that list: Hughes and Tkachuk too low, probably Wahlström too, but really, Hughes is SOOO good... I also think Zadina should be top 5.
I don't like Ginning at all, he looked like a pylon at U18 WJC and he wasn't much better at the five nations in February.

Don't really have too big of an opinion on the rest since i haven't seen much of most of them :)

I was making the list, and nearly every player I thought I was putting too low, but there just wasn't enough room to put players higher.

Thats what happens when its a very good draft. Top 5 talents get picked top 10, top 10 get picked top 20, top 20 get picked top 30. And on the contrary, a draft like the 2017 draft is where top 10 talents get picked top 5, top 20 get picked top 10, top 30 get picked top 20.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

The Americans came back with a loaded year after a bad 2007 draft class. The development program in Ann Arbor will be churning out more NHL players. Time for Jeff Gorton to add another #1 for 2018.

Minnesota high school hockey is loaded.

People were complaining a lot about this American draft class early in the year because they weren't winning tournaments.

It was pretty much the definition of being too-results oriented. This U17 NTDP team gets beat up badly in the USHL. Their stats are not good, they don't play that well, but they are playing older and better competition. It'll help them out eventually. There are many very good Americans in the 2018 draft.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I was making the list, and nearly every player I thought I was putting too low, but there just wasn't enough room to put players higher.

Thats what happens when its a very good draft. Top 5 talents get picked top 10, top 10 get picked top 20, top 20 get picked top 30. And on the contrary, a draft like the 2017 draft is where top 10 talents get picked top 5, top 20 get picked top 10, top 30 get picked top 20.

I see your point, i just really think ur underestimating Quinn Hughes, he had an amazing season and would have been a top 3 pick if he was a few days older.

I know this draft is stronger but the season he just had was soooo impressive, player of the tournament at the five nations and one of the top performers at the U18 WJC aswell.
Add to that his almost PPG year with the USNTDP, kid was lights out all year.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
jett woo is my early favorite simply for the future 'sam those aren't boos those are woos' calls

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
jett woo is my early favorite simply for the future 'sam those aren't boos those are woos' calls

Might be the best name in Hockey right now. I hope the Isles don't end up with him, with that ridiculous "Woooo Woooo woooo!" chant.

US National team has some good talent this year. Brady Tkachuk will be draft eligible. Will be interesting to see how he does this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->