Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I am talking about Mattias. Adam can't skate, but does anyone think he'll be picked in the first few rounds?
No, but the names overlapping was confusing :laugh:

It totally depends to me who’s on the board if they want MSamuelsson. Most rankings make him seem like an early 2nd rounder

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't agree that Mattias is McIlarth (Adam is more of that mold). With that said, however, I don't think Mattias is all that good to go in the 1st round. He makes a lot of silly decisions; clearing pucks along the boards in high pressured moments that either results in icings or open shots for an opposing defender. Sometimes taking shots when an opposing forward is right in front to block and go the other way for a scoring chance. I've also seen him get beat one-on-one a decent number of times. His pivots are off and balancing is below average, IMO. Think his base speed speed is okay, but still needs work.

Raw as hell, IMO. I wouldn't touch him with NYR's 1sts.

Every prospect has some things to work on, but I don't think you described constitutes as raw or is a big enough worry, considering his role on a team.

What he does better than every prospect except Dahlin is defend. His positioning is excellent, he is very hard to beat 1v1, he clears the crease, he wins puck battles, he blocks shots, and he is a decent skater and puck mover. There are guys in this draft who's calling card is skating and moving the puck who don't even do it that much better than Samuelsson who some people will like more than Samuelsson just because their calling card is puck moving, even if their overall contribution isn't better than Samuelsson. Samuelsson being a defensive defensemen will have some actively dislike him because of that, and think he's a plug.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Every prospect has some things to work on, but I don't think you described constitutes as raw or is a big enough worry, considering his role on a team.

What he does better than every prospect except Dahlin is defend. His positioning is excellent, he is very hard to beat 1v1, he clears the crease, he wins puck battles, he blocks shots, and he is a decent skater and puck mover. There are guys in this draft who's calling card is skating and moving the puck who don't even do it that much better than Samuelsson who some people will like more than Samuelsson just because their calling card is puck moving, even if their overall contribution isn't better than Samuelsson. Samuelsson being a defensive defensemen will have some actively dislike him because of that, and think he's a plug.

I don't agree, except on his board play. He's pretty solid along the boards. Anyone who has seen Mattias play knows he's a defensive defenseman and yes what I said can be constituted to being raw with IQ and foot work. It is a big worry, especially when picking in the 1st round.

I would rather NYR not try for another Zborovskiy attempt so early in the draft. They could do that later on, if need be. There's better talent to be had at, IMO.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Does Gorton attempt to make a trade with a roster player for a top 10 pick?

Gorton tried to acquire #4 and #7 in the 2016 draft. He acquired #7 in 2017. The Rangers have the picks to make that type of move but maybe they can add another top pick and keep their own picks.

A fast/accelerates rebuild with multiple quality/high end young players would work.

The Rangers acquire another #1 pick for 2019 in a separate transaction.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Let's see where the lottery falls before trading picks.

Don't think teams this close to the end of the season will want to trade picks before finding out where they'll be if they know they'll be a lottery team.

Reactions: bl02

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Gorton tried to acquire #4 and #7 in the 2016 draft. He acquired #7 in 2017. The Rangers have the picks to make that type of move but maybe they can add another top pick and keep their own picks.

A fast/accelerates rebuild with multiple quality/high end young players would work.

I see the bolded happening, IMO. Think that NYR focus on the draft this year with what they have. If anything, they add another later pick. But anything can happen.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Rangers have the assets to move up in the draft. The question is will teams be willing to move top 10 picks.
I would be willing to overpay up to 4.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Rangers have the assets to move up in the draft. The question is will teams be willing to move top 10 picks.
I would be willing to overpay up to 4.
Depends on how their draft boards look and might come down to how the actual picks fall (like how Oilers were ready to do #4 for something of ours but then Pulju dropped).

Getting into the Top 3 will likely be impossible without an overpay, which isn't worth it.

Last edited:

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Depends on how their draft boards look and might come down to how the actual picks fall (like how Oilers were ready to do #4 for McDonagh but then Pulju dropped).

Getting into the Top 3 will likely be impossible without an overpay, which isn't worth it.
Wait we almost traded McD for #4? I remember hearing Friedman say we almost traded for that pick to take Keller but I don't remember him saying what we almost gave up

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Depends on how their draft boards look and might come down to how the actual picks fall (like how Oilers were ready to do #4 for McDonagh but then Pulju dropped).

Its very worth it.

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Trading down is almost always better than trading up imo. The more picks you get at the start of a rebuild the better, because it gives you more chances to land a success. If we end up picking between 8-11 I'm fine with that because I trust our scouts enough to make the right picks

Reactions: dumpin

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Trading down is almost always better than trading up imo. The more picks you get at the start of a rebuild the better, because it gives you more chances to land a success. If we end up picking between 8-11 I'm fine with that because I trust our scouts enough to make the right picks

IMO this is an oversimplification. It certainly gives you more shots at a dropping gem like Kopitar, Giroux, Karlsson. But I would give gladly all 3 NYR first round picks to land a sure fire star player. If we assume knowledge (hypothetical) that both Zadina and Svechnikov are going to be Laine-level players I'd take that every day.

Reactions: NewLife

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Rangers have no problem finding and developing interchangeable parts. The team lacks superstar dynamic talent.

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Rangers have no problem finding and developing interchangeable parts. The team lacks superstar dynamic talent.
You don't need a top 5 pick to find dynamic talent within the draft. In 2015 Rantanen went 10th, Barzal went 15th, Connor went 17th, Boeser went 23rd, and Aho went 35th. In 2016 Sergachev went 9th, and McAvoy went 14th. Having a higher pick gives you more options, but if you have good enough scouts you can find really good players to the mid-to-late first round. As of right now it is better to have quantity with our picks, then trading them all away to get a top 5 pick when we still could get a really good player at 9th or 10th

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

I think it's likely he tries to make some moves here. He has a lot to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad