Player Discussion Dougie Hamilton

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
While I don't think Tanev is an ideal first pair guy, he and Brodie would be absolutely airtight.

Just musing here but wonder what it would take to get him? Gio-Dougie and Brodie-Tanev as a top four would be kickass.

Tanev is too elite, I can't see Van trading him for much that we have unless they want Kylington after Kylington puts up an Erik Karlsson level WJC against kids this January but then why would we trade Kylington who is cost controlled for the next three years after this one and could possibly be a Leddy 2013 type piece for us this is a runon sentence.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Tanev is too elite, I can't see Van trading him for much that we have unless they want Kylington after Kylington puts up an Erik Karlsson level WJC against kids this January but then why would we trade Kylington who is cost controlled for the next three years after this one and could possibly be a Leddy 2013 type piece for us this is a runon sentence.

Tanev is probably the only bright spot on that roster, but this is Benning we're talking about, I could legitimately see him moving Tanev for a B prospect and a 2nd or something. That franchise is ripe for abuse by Tre, if they had more decent prospects we probably would've already slapped their **** around a fair amount.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Should we trade Hamilton for Klingberg?

If they accept Freddie - sure. :nod:

I'd only want to move Dougie for a legit stud (Tavares style player or similar defenseman). Dougie is too young, and is already a top dman to consider moving this early.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If they accept Freddie - sure. :nod:

I'd only want to move Dougie for a legit stud (Tavares style player or similar defenseman). Dougie is too young, and is already a top dman to consider moving this early.

If it becomes the Hamiltons for Klingberg and Honka, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Giordano-Klingberg
Brodie-Honka (I don't think it's Brodie's 'offside that's bothering him as much as it's Wideman).

Oh man, what a top 4 going forward.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I wouldn't move Dougie for much honestly.
The guy is proving he can be a top pairing shutdown guy who can also score 40+ points.

I love that he's added physicality into his game. Just a player you don't move. You move Brodie before you move Dougie. In a perfect world, you don't move either and instead you bring in a solid Dman this summer to round out the top 4 so Wideman, Engelland and Jyrki never see the light of day as the bottom 3 anymore :laugh:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I would have for Chycrun and Duclair earlier in the season. But now jeez. When he's on his game he's got a lot of Victor Hedman/Ryan Suter in his game.

Aug 21, 2014

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Funny how the team proposing the deal is Arizona too :laugh:

QbJ5_f-maxage-0.gif

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Should we trade Hamilton for Klingberg?

If this trade was offered, it would be an easy yes for me. I get that Dougie has been playing better as of late, but Klingberg is not only signed to a sweetheart of a deal at $4.25M for the next half decade, but he's an ultimate puck moving defensemen who has 60 point potential. Doubt Dallas is interested at all in this deal.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
If this trade was offered, it would be an easy yes for me. I get that Dougie has been playing better as of late, but Klingberg is not only signed to a sweetheart of a deal at $4.25M for the next half decade, but he's an ultimate puck moving defensemen who has 60 point potential. Doubt Dallas is interested at all in this deal.

Not sure if you've watched many Dallas games this year. Klingberg has looked worse than Brodie(relative to how he looked last year). Also we have a guy that projects to be somewhat similar to Klingberg (Kylington) but is also a better skater. We don't have anyone like Dougie.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
If it becomes the Hamiltons for Klingberg and Honka, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Giordano-Klingberg
Brodie-Honka (I don't think it's Brodie's 'offside that's bothering him as much as it's Wideman).

Nope, wouldn't do that at all. Hamilton is a 40+ point player, young, and is only going to get better. You'd be off your rocker to sell him for that.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Not sure if you've watched many Dallas games this year. Klingberg has looked worse than Brodie(relative to how he looked last year). Also we have a guy that projects to be somewhat similar to Klingberg (Kylington) but is also a better skater. We don't have anyone like Dougie.

That remains to be seen with Kylington, I'm more interested to see if he can dominate the AHL rather than compare him to an elite point producing defenseman like Klingberg. From what I've seen, Hamilton is not a dominating defensive presence nor has he been shown to be an offensive force that Klingberg has shown up to date. He's struggling this early in the season sure, but I really like what i've seen from him in the past with his puck rushing capability and dynamic offensive abilities.

Dougie has found some great chemistry with Giordano recently, but before that he was a train wreck defensively and as well as much of last season. I just don't see the any outstanding qualities in his game that makes me believe he'll be worth that contract. The minutes both Hartley and Gulutzen have played him tells me a lot about how much they trust him and at 19 minutes a game, it doesn't seem like a lot, especially for a $5.75M price tag.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Klingberg has been god aful this year, he's a train-wreck defensively

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Giordano-Klingberg

As much as I think certain posters around here are size queens who get tunnel vision when evaluating taller players, that is not a top four d I would be happy about. You need some D who can leverage Getzlaf, Perry, Kopitar, Thornton, etc off the puck and whose reach forces McDavid, Kane, Benn etc to go wide on them.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Nope, wouldn't do that at all. Hamilton is a 40+ point player, young, and is only going to get better. You'd be off your rocker to sell him for that.

Klingberg put up 58 points in his sophomore season and Julius Honka looks like he could be a top 4 defensemen with tremendous offensive upside. 2 young cornerstone defensemen for 1 cornerstone defensemen would be an easy choice all day any day for most GMs.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Klingberg put up 58 points in his sophomore season and Julius Honka looks like he could be a top 4 defensemen with tremendous offensive upside. 2 young cornerstone defensemen for 1 cornerstone defensemen would be an easy choice all day any day for most GMs.

You have your opinion, and I have mine. If Honka "looks like" he could be top 4, how is he a corner stone? I'd rather take the 6'5 dman who is more proven. Klingberg has also looked pretty bad this year, so once again I wouldn't do this.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton

Giordano-Klingberg

This defence is so weak. Hamilton is worth far more than that.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Can you even trade 20 First Round Picks? Is that allowed? Some teams I wonder if they have 20 more years of existing.

Don't trade Dougie, he has been awesome.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
You have your opinion, and I have mine. If Honka "looks like" he could be top 4, how is he a corner stone? I'd rather take the 6'5 dman who is more proven. Klingberg has also looked pretty bad this year, so once again I wouldn't do this.

Hjalmarsson is Chicago's #3 defenseman and is a cornerstone player. Hamilton himself is considered a cornerstone player and yet is considered the team's #3. We'll probably have to agree to disagree, but with Dougie trade rumors swirling, if he does end up being traded, I wouldn't expect anything close to a Klingberg/Honka return.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Can you even trade 20 First Round Picks? Is that allowed? Some teams I wonder if they have 20 more years of existing.

Don't trade Dougie, he has been awesome.
I'm not sure, I thought I heard you could go up to 5 years for picks but I may have just made that up in my head.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
Trading Hamilton at this point in his career would be unbelievably stupid. There's no reason why the Flames should trade him and a long list of reasons why they shouldn't. He's not even close to entering his prime yet. They only have to protect him, Gio and Brodie in the expansion draft. So they don't have to trade him or lose someone important. They have no one that could step into his spot in the lineup (what's the point of doing a lateral trade for another dman, just keep Hamilton). From all accounts, he seems like a good guy around the locker room. The only way they should be trading him, is if some team way overpays for him.

Other than that, all these people can keep their Bozak and a 2nd for him. People seem to think, it worked in NHL 17, it should work in the real world too.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Trading Hamilton at this point in his career would be unbelievably stupid. There's no reason why the Flames should trade him and a long list of reasons why they shouldn't. He's not even close to entering his prime yet. They only have to protect him, Gio and Brodie in the expansion draft. So they don't have to trade him or lose someone important. They have no one that could step into his spot in the lineup (what's the point of doing a lateral trade for another dman, just keep Hamilton). From all accounts, he seems like a good guy around the locker room. The only way they should be trading him, is if some team way overpays for him.

Other than that, all these people can keep their Bozak and a 2nd for him. People seem to think, it worked in NHL 17, it should work in the real world too.

Excellent post, I concur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad