Doug Weight

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
New coach smell is wearing off. Weight is a screamer and that gets old quickly. Weight has no idea how to adapt his coaching “style” to the team in front of him.

The defense is AHL caliber yet Weight stays with a run and gun style.

All this falls on Snow for hiring a guy with zero expience and inserting 3 rookie d men into the lineup opening night.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
He got tossed for bitching at the refs when he should have been ripping his players.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I have seen several suggestions regarding Jason Demers as a solution to our defensive problems. Demers is getting bashed over on the Florida social media and hockey blogs for being soft and timid in his defensive style. Basically a puck moving defenseman that uses his stick instead of his body in most defensive plays, kind of a Brock Nelson of the blue line. Just saying'.

Demers is actually physical, won't fight but he has a chippy side, watched him with Zona they don't give up the goals when he is on the ice, his plus/minus is not as bad as others, if he put on an Isles jersey right now at this moment he would be a top pairing guy, that is how decimated we are to some degree. We would need Demers to eat up minutes and play positionally sound defense, more or less Seidenberg from 2012.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
The bottom 6 is a nightmare. Besides Cizikas and Nelson, they're all useless imo. Completely useless.

You can't expect the top 6 to be at the top of their game every night. A competent bottom 6 is able to step up when the big guns struggle. This bottom 6 can't do that.

Missing 2 of our top 3 dmen just makes the problem worse.

Outside of an awful PK and insisting on playing plugs like Chimera and Seidenberg, I don't see much more Weight is doing wrong.

This is on Snow.

Last edited:

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The bottom 6 is a nightmare. Besides Cizikas and Nelson, they're all useless imo. Completely useless.

You can't expect the top 6 to be at the top of their game every night. A competent bottom 6 is able to step up when the big guns struggle. This bottom 6 can't do that.

Missing 2 of our top 3 dmen just makes the problem worse.

Outside of insisting on playing plugs like Chimera and Seidenberg, I don't see much more Weight is doing wrong.

This is on Snow.

The system generates offense and eliminates defense, neutral ice play is poor.

He has short leashes with younger players and doesn't have the patience to put a 3rd line together and keep it for a few games to build chemistry

We have given up 6 goals a game on a near regular basis... we didn't do that under Cappy

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011

He has short leashes with younger players and doesn't have the patience to put a 3rd line together and keep it for a few games to build chemistry

We have given up 6 goals a game on a near regular basis... we didn't do that under Cappy

The system doesn't eliminate anything. The terrible PK + useless bottom 6ers + Seidenberg is what is making it appear as bad team defense.

Re: short leashes....Ya I know and i agree. Short leashes on Ho-Sang & Pulock = long leashes on Chimera & Seidenberg. Its a problem. But this isn't new.

As per regularly giving up the 6 goals...as mentioned earlier, I think it has more to do with the terrible PK, mediocre goaltending and lack of quality depth that have more to with it than 'the system'.

Yes 'the system' is more open than others we've seen...but imo there are way bigger problems (mentioned above) that are causing the goals against.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
The system doesn't eliminate defense but I do say it relies on better goaltending then they have gotten. The team is terrible in its own zone, it's not a system thing it's a lack of commitment defensively shift to shift. I don't see any way Weight is fired, it's playoffs or bust for this coaching staff and GM. No playoffs and I believe their all shown the door and more than likely Tavares walks out door before it's closed. I fully expect them to be very active player movement wise to assure playoffs and perhaps playoff run.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
This team better work their asses off in the bye week. Everyone playing in the bottom 6 aside from Cizikas should be absolutely f***ing ashamed of themselves. Outworked and outplayed every f***ing night. They honestly make me more angry than the defense

Like eberzal mentioned yesterday capuano completely ruined mayfield Pelech and pulock by not letting them play over guys like strait and now here we are, with a full blue line of inexperience.

The bottom 6 forwards are vets and just decided we have 2 good lines so why try anymore. AB needs to play in Bridgeport. He’s not doing enough to warrant ruining his development

Reactions: YearlyLottery

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The system doesn't eliminate anything. The terrible PK + useless bottom 6ers + Seidenberg is what is making it appear as bad team defense.

Re: short leashes....Ya I know and i agree. Short leashes on Ho-Sang & Pulock = long leashes on Chimera & Seidenberg. Its a problem. But this isn't new.

As per regularly giving up the 6 goals...as mentioned earlier, I think it has more to do with the terrible PK, mediocre goaltending and lack of quality depth that have more to with it than 'the system'.

Yes 'the system' is more open than others we've seen...but imo there are way bigger problems (mentioned above) that are causing the goals against.

The system is very reliant on impeccable transition which we fail at miserably because it would require every player on the team to have Leddy like speed... we crash with many forwards and with one bad pass or one chipped puck the other team is on a breakaway.

We give up first goals all the time.. that is a lot on on the coach, not preparing his team.

Teams devour us the 2nd time they play us, and yet we can't find a way to catch up to that team... (e.g. Dallas, CBJ Colorado)... our coaching can't adjust

We are bad on the road, which means Doug Weight's biggest advantage is being able to match up lines at home.

Seidenberg has a short leash, he doesn't play much at all

Chimera is not part of the problem, he hits people at least, he will start a fight to get us going, he kills penalties... I just don't like his dumb penalties which has reduced lately

PK is bad, but we give up more goals on odd man rushes and forwards out of position not covering, way too many open forwards... I don't love Halak, but most goalies aren't making those saves, he has cut down on soft goals.

Our bottom 6ers are not used with a purpose, you change the lines up every game, no chemistry is built, expectation on the 3rd line is to be like the 2nd line, Beau/Quine/JHS/Bernier/Nelson/Prince, all struggle because of identity role issues. They all seem like they are playing a pickup hockey game with strangers.

The 6 goals a game, a lot happens with the JT line on the ice, Lee for all the goals he scores.. is the worst defensive forward they have had in a long time... how many RW's are uncontested getting 2-3 whacks at the puck.

Biggest issue for goals against is becoming more a matter of forwards not getting back on time.... that only started in the Weight regime.. Under Cappy, only Chimera did that.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

I'm surprised you see this as an issue with Weight considering what Capuano did.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I'm surprised you see this as an issue with Weight considering what Capuano did.

I am not endorsing Cappy by indicting Weight... just both had different ways to deal with younger players and neither is/was that good

Frans, KO, Martin, Hamonic did develop all under Cappy though... and Hickey became serviceable under him

With Weight, he will play a young guy and then bench him and not realize what he is doing mentally to them... whereas like sheva does say... guys like Chimera get passes... I mean did Chimera get benched for all of the 3rd period for a dumb penalty that cost the Isles a game, but there was a game where Weight did not use JHS or Quine for the entire 3rd period because of lesser crimes

And the treatment of Beau may be the worst, either use him every game and let him find himself, or send him down

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
The bloom is off the rose. After a pathetic performance against Colorado you come back with another pathetic performance.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That's 11 games this season where the team has allowed 5+ goals. Not even half way through the season yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad