Doug Weight

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
As much as I wanted Capuano gone and was fine giving Weight the reins after how the team finished last year, he is lightyears worse than Capuano. At least Cappy had a semblance of a clue how to coach a team.

Doug Weight's approach is no system and only holding young players accountable. It's embarrassing, and quite frankly a stain on his hockey career. The best thing for both him and the franchise is for him to step aside, find a new job as assistant for 5-10 years where he can learn to be a halfway competent coach before he tries again.

They both are/were terrible no matter what you draw it up. In both coaches cases, they seem to draw nothing up.

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I recall mentioning after hearing of him being named head coach
That my concern was after winning many down the stretch , the
Big game against Boston who was floundering at the time ended
In a loss . So all the good stuff came with no pressure but
When a game did mean something they were unprepared and lost

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Brad Shaw is a great defensive coach everywhere he's been. I'm not sure he would be good as a HC, but wherever he's gone the defense has improved and eventually becomes a strength.

Just to clarify, I wasn’t calling for him to be the Islanders head coach then or now. Just thought he looked like he belonged and would have a long career in some capacity somewhere. I was happy to see him find another position after he was let go by the Isles.

Reactions: Jester9881

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
They both are/were terrible no matter what you draw it up. In both coaches cases, they seem to draw nothing up.
To be clear, my comment was a searing indictment of Weight, as opposed to a glowing endorsement of Capuano.

Saying Capuano was better than Weight isn't saying I want Capuano back. Its saying that's how much I want Weight gone

Reactions: Eberzal

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Weight and Capuano would make good assistants in the right situation. Just keep Weight far away from the PP.
Yup, keep Weight away from the PP. The PK too. Really, most hockey-related stuff. And no clipboards for Cappy. Actually, maybe we should just go in another direction entirely. If we're going to clean house, let's fumigate the place and get rid of all of the stench of the last 12 years.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Weight and Capuano would make good assistants in the right situation. Just keep Weight far away from the PP.
Sometimes you need to throw the whole thing in the toilet and flush and I am surprised you are not calling for that. Our coaching for years has been the joke of the NHL. It is time to flush.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Sometimes you need to throw the whole thing in the toilet and flush and I am surprised you are not calling for that. Our coaching for years has been the joke of the NHL. It is time to flush.

I am calling for that... loud and proud. I want someone from outside brought in as team president, and I want them to do the hiring of the next GM and coach. I'm just saying under different circumstances, in a different circus under a completely different tent, Capuano and Weight could be good assistant coaches.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I am calling for that... loud and proud. I want someone from outside brought in as team president, and I want them to do the hiring of the next GM and coach. I'm just saying under different circumstances, in a different circus under a completely different tent, Capuano and Weight could be good assistant coaches.
Then I misunderstood. Right on.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Agree with your assessment. Interesting you brought up Brad Shaw... he was one of the better interim coaches the Isles had. I always thought he had a strong future ahead of him.

I liked Weight from last year and was willing to give him a chance. But I was concerned with the lack of his experience and if he had enough x/o knowledge.

Therefore, I didn’t mind Weight but I absolutely wanted a more systems based assistant coach. Basically a personality dud who is a strategy genius.
I would take Shaw back if he had any interest in coming back. He acquitted himself well in his brief interim stint, but more importantly, I've been impressed with the work he's done in St Louis and Columbus since then.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
What established, bonafide nhl coach would come here and work under this management?
This organization located in the NY market is viewed as less desirable for players and coaches than an expansion team, let that sink in.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Doug is not ready for the Head Coach spot. Maybe in a few years but I don't see it yet. We need someone else next year.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Doug is not ready for the Head Coach spot. Maybe in a few years but I don't see it yet. We need someone else next year.
I don’t think he should be coaching at all. The power play was horrific his entire time as an assistant, and his head coaching stint has been miserable. He might be better suited for a front office job (not here).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
And we're back with a rare edition of 5+ goals against because this time we also scored 5+ which is only the third time this season it has occurred. Still took the loss though.

2017-18
10/6 - Columbus 5-0 L
10/26 - Minnesota 6-4 L
11/10 - Dallas 5-0 L
12/1 - Ottawa 6-5 L
12/5 - Tampa Bay 6-2 L
12/13 - Dallas 5-2 L
12/14 - Columbus 6-4 L
12/19 - Detroit 6-3 L
12/21 - Anaheim 5-4 OTL
12/31 - Colorado 6-1 L
1/2 - Boston 5-1 L
1/4 - Philadelphia 6-4 L
1/18 - Boston 5-2 L
1/31 - Toronto 5-0 L
2/5 - Nashville 5-4 OTL
2/9 - Detroit 7-6 W
2/19 - Minnesota 5-3 L
3/2 - Montreal 6-3 L
3/15 - Washington 7-3 L
3/16 - Washington 6-3 L
3/22 - Tampa Bay 7-6 L

21 games of 5+ goals against, or 28.37% of games.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
And we're back with a rare edition of 5+ goals against because this time we also scored 5+ which is only the third time this season it has occurred. Still took the loss though.

2017-18
10/6 - Columbus 5-0 L
10/26 - Minnesota 6-4 L
11/10 - Dallas 5-0 L
12/1 - Ottawa 6-5 L
12/5 - Tampa Bay 6-2 L
12/13 - Dallas 5-2 L
12/14 - Columbus 6-4 L
12/19 - Detroit 6-3 L
12/21 - Anaheim 5-4 OTL
12/31 - Colorado 6-1 L
1/2 - Boston 5-1 L
1/4 - Philadelphia 6-4 L
1/18 - Boston 5-2 L
1/31 - Toronto 5-0 L
2/5 - Nashville 5-4 OTL
2/9 - Detroit 7-6 W
2/19 - Minnesota 5-3 L
3/2 - Montreal 6-3 L
3/15 - Washington 7-3 L
3/16 - Washington 6-3 L
3/22 - Tampa Bay 7-6 L

21 games of 5+ goals against, or 28.37% of games.

Islanders certainly went over budget on red light bulbs this year

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Staple’s latest mailbag...
As for Doug Weight and the coaching staff, those are decisions that would be left to a new GM — and again, those would have to be quick decisions, given the time frame of the offseason. That also means Malkin and Ledecky eating six coaching contracts that just started last season. So I'd guess that Weight gets another year, but there's always qualifiers if a new GM comes in.

Reactions: NewYorkIsles

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yea, I hope when the season is over all these questions get addressed sooner rather than later. Does anyone know when we can start trading rights to other teams?

Anytime.

Trades are allowed after the deadline, the only tidbit is that any players traded would not be eligible for the playoffs.

The trading usually picks up at the draft however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad