Doug Weight

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Honestly have they considered relieving him of his coaching duties and having him work his contract off by returning as an active player? He'd probably be the best bottom 6 player on the team at this point.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Honestly have they considered relieving him of his coaching duties and having him work his contract off by returning as an active player? He'd probably be the best bottom 6 player on the team at this point.
Don't give Garth any ideas. He'll sign him to a $4M per contract.

Reactions: sabremike

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Here's a snapshot of all of the 5+ goal against games under Doug Weight for the previous two seasons:

2016-17

2/3 - Detroit 5-4 L
2/4 - Carolina 5-4 OTL
2/6 - Toronto 6-5 OTW
2/14 - Toronto 7-1 L
2/25 - Columbus 7-0 L
3/5 - Calgary 5-2 L
3/13 - Carolina 8-4 L
3/30 - Philadelphia 6-3 L

In the 2016-17 season Weight coached for 40 games. The team allowed 5 or more goals 8 times, or 20% of the time.

2017-18

10/6 - Columbus 5-0 L
10/26 - Minnesota 6-4 L
11/10 - Dallas 5-0 L
12/1 - Ottawa 6-5 L
12/5 - Tampa Bay 6-2 L
12/13 - Dallas 5-2 L
12/14 - Columbus 6-4 L
12/19 - Detroit 6-3 L
12/21 - Anaheim 5-4 OTL
12/31 - Colorado 6-1 L
1/2 - Boston 5-1 L
1/4 - Philadelphia 6-4 L
1/18 - Boston 5-2 L
1/31 - Toronto 5-0 L
2/5 - Nashville 5-4 OTL
2/9 - Detroit 7-6 W
2/19 - Minnesota 5-3 L
3/2 - Montreal 6-3 L
3/15 - Washington 7-3 L
3/16 - Washington 6-3 L
3/22 - Tampa Bay 7-6 L
3/30 - Toronto 5-4 L

22 games of 5+ goals against, or 26.82% of games.

In his year and a half as Islanders head coach, the team has given up 5 or more goals 24.59% of the time. Not only that, but it actually got worse as his tenure lengthened. No team can expect to stay alive in the playoff race with a guaranteed loss every fourth game.

I'll continue these posts until Weight is gone.​

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Not getting the participation trophy jokes from guys like us toward a 1000 pt guy in the NHL. Maybe I skimmed the messages a little fast

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I have been one for chopping his head off since last season when we gave up many 5-7 goal games but I will provide an alternative perspective/theory

This team on paper going into the season (in my opinion) was a bottom 5 team even with CDH as part of the defensive core, nothing was done in the offseason to improve that area. Given that the expectations were low and the team played beastly for 25 games, did Doug Weight get this defensively deficient team to overachieve early on and then they came down to earth?

I still think Weight is a terrible coach and he could have done a lot better, but the bad roster/overachievement angle is one that can be looked at.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I have been one for chopping his head off since last season when we gave up many 5-7 goal games but I will provide an alternative perspective/theory

This team on paper going into the season (in my opinion) was a bottom 5 team even with CDH as part of the defensive core, nothing was done in the offseason to improve that area. Given that the expectations were low and the team played beastly for 25 games, did Doug Weight get this defensively deficient team to overachieve early on and then they came down to earth?

I still think Weight is a terrible coach and he could have done a lot better, but the bad roster/overachievement angle is one that can be looked at.

I don't think that's the case. The roster is better than their record, I think anyway.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't think that's the case. The roster is better than their record, I think anyway.

If you factor the revelations during the season vs going into the season

Going into the season, these were the consensus opinions

1. Mat Barzal would get 40 points (he got over 80)
2. Jordan Eberle would be a bust (he got close to 60 points)
3. Josh Bailey would regress (he cracked 70 points)
4. Ryan Pulock would be abysmal on defense (he wasn't)

On the other hand, we suffered this

1. Nick Leddy - worst 2nd half of a dman in a long time
2. Andrew Ladd - could not crack 30 points
3. Clutter/Cizikas - very useless in the last 30 games
4. Brock Nelson - went to sleep for 30 games
5. Injuries to CDH and replaced with non Nhl Players

I agree we are a 100 point team on paper with a great coach (Sutter, Qunneville, even Vigneault), 90 point team with an average coach (Cappy, Ruff, Hartley) and an 80 point team with a lousy coach (Weight, Bylsma, Gretzky)

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Doug Weight may be a good NHL coach one day . But for today he is just a no experience head coach.Because he yells and chews gum and insults Stan Fischler is not fooling anyone. He is a BS artist. He should go down to the Florida Everblades then work his way up. Maybe cone back in 2028. Heck if you look at the Jack CAPUANO resume' he had a lot of experience as a coach and GM prior to darkening our doorway. To L and M please take his weight off our shoulders. I hope he is fired today . No need to delay even another hour.

Reactions: majormet

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Doug Weight may be a good NHL coach one day . But for today he is just a no experience head coach.Because he yells and chews gum and insults Stan Fischler is not fooling anyone. He is a BS artist. He should go down to the Florida Everblades then work his way up. Maybe cone back in 2028. Heck if you look at the Jack CAPUANO resume' he had a lot of experience as a coach and GM prior to darkening our doorway. To L and M please take his weight off our shoulders. I hope he is fired today . No need to delay even another hour.
how did he insult Stan ?

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal

I don't agree with you on that. The Devils or the Flyers are not better than us, yet they made the playoffs. Doug Weight had a terrible season as a coach, he himself recognized it!

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't agree with you on that. The Devils or the Flyers are not better than us, yet they made the playoffs. Doug Weight had a terrible season as a coach, he himself recognized it!

I think what you are trying to say is that neither of those teams are really more talented than us on paper, but at the end of the day they are better coached by a longshot, and because of that, they are better than us.

Reactions: xIsle

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

I agree, just was trying to illustrate an alternative perspective,... Devils did make deadline deals that really helped them

Flyers' coach is a stiff by the way, so Weight has to be worse than him

Reactions: xIsle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad