Doug Weight

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Dougie is mostly doing snows work...but even though...whoever is to blame...this is the worst coaches islander season in its history. I really believe that. Ive been watching since 85...its the only sport I follow and I know what im looking at with hockey.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
The islanders are a bunch of losers from the top down. snow teaches his coaches to say great things in the interview because the owners dont know hockey at all. so to the fans and media they look like a joke but to the clueless owners they look brilliant

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Quick turnaround!

2017-18
10/6 - Columbus 5-0 L
10/26 - Minnesota 6-4 L
11/10 - Dallas 5-0 L
12/1 - Ottawa 6-5 L
12/5 - Tampa Bay 6-2 L
12/13 - Dallas 5-2 L
12/14 - Columbus 6-4 L
12/19 - Detroit 6-3 L
12/21 - Anaheim 5-4 OTL
12/31 - Colorado 6-1 L
1/2 - Boston 5-1 L
1/4 - Philadelphia 6-4 L
1/18 - Boston 5-2 L
1/31 - Toronto 5-0 L
2/5 - Nashville 5-4 OTL
2/9 - Detroit 7-6 W
2/19 - Minnesota 5-3 L
3/2 - Montreal 6-3 L
3/15 - Washington 7-3 L
3/16 - Washington 6-3 L

20 games of 5+ goals against, or 28.16% of games.

It’s sad that I come into this thread just to look for this. Even sadder that I’ve grown annoyed with that Detroit Win for standing out.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Leddy needs to be taken off the PP and be replaced by Pulock. Do not think Isles will makes the playoff. Might as well let the future gets a bigger role and see what he can do.

This year's Leddy will not shoot the puck - perhaps a shoulder injury not telling? He is always passing on the point and the passes is also so low that he is not moving any of the defender D out of position. At least Pulock has a hard shot and maybe the opposing D will be less reluctant to block it or if they do, they may get stunk and not be able to get back up right away.

It is time to see what more Puolck has and see if he can improve this PP and makes the game more fun, even if not winning. leddy looks real beat and need to take a couple games off. Bring up Aho or another smooth skating young D from Bridgeport to play in his spot for a couple of games.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
It's amazing that an NHL team is this bad at defense.

I was about to post something to this effect in the Tavares thread. As to why I can’t see how he deserves the amount of criticism he is receiving. Tavares scoring only puts this team back into their December outcomes... scoring more but still losing.

I’ve been a fan since the 80s... I’ve never seen such an unstructured disorganized mess.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Leddy needs to be taken off the PP and be replaced by Pulock. Do not think Isles will makes the playoff. Might as well let the future gets a bigger role and see what he can do.

This year's Leddy will not shoot the puck - perhaps a shoulder injury not telling? He is always passing on the point and the passes is also so low that he is not moving any of the defender D out of position. At least Pulock has a hard shot and maybe the opposing D will be less reluctant to block it or if they do, they may get stunk and not be able to get back up right away.

It is time to see what more Puolck has and see if he can improve this PP and makes the game more fun, even if not winning. leddy looks real beat and need to take a couple games off. Bring up Aho or another smooth skating young D from Bridgeport to play in his spot for a couple of games.

To me a post like this completely misses the point. There is no combination of moves you could make with this lineup that would make them close to a Cup contender. Let's not even spend energy on stuff like this.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What is the record for goals allowed for a season. We’re up to 257. That has to be a record.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Don’t know if you subscribe to The Athletic or not, but Staple did a piece on Leddy where he talked about how he got to the NHL and he mentioned growing up that his dad harped on his habitually to shoot the puck more often.

This is not a shoulder injury, Leddy is just not assertive enough by nature with the puck on his stick and that is one on the big reasons why he will never be a 1D in the NHl.

tl;dr Not a shoulder injury, this is a player flaw

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
446 by the 74/75 caps
But it needs to be pointed out that it was an entirely different sport back then, particularly the horrific goaltending. If you want to judge this team what's the post 1991 (my line of demarcation for the modern era) goals allowed record?

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
San Jose Sharks, 92-93. Allowed 414.

Senators in 93-94 allowed 397.

Since the turn of the millennium, Thrashers the most in 99-00 with 313 allowed. Tampa also that season allowed 310.

Since 2010, it’s the Avalanche in the 10-11 season at 287.

Reactions: sabremike

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's amazing that an NHL team is this bad at defense.

It really is incredible to watch. As someone who only has a rudimentary understanding of Xs and Os, the Isles under Weight really stands out even to an untrained eye how much they seem to be (for lack of a better word) discombobulated.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
San Jose Sharks, 92-93. Allowed 414.

Senators in 93-94 allowed 397.

Since the turn of the millennium, Thrashers the most in 99-00 with 313 allowed. Tampa also that season allowed 310.

Since 2010, it’s the Avalanche in the 10-11 season at 287.

That 287 is definitely within reach

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
As much as I wanted Capuano gone and was fine giving Weight the reins after how the team finished last year, he is lightyears worse than Capuano. At least Cappy had a semblance of a clue how to coach a team.

Doug Weight's approach is no system and only holding young players accountable. It's embarrassing, and quite frankly a stain on his hockey career. The best thing for both him and the franchise is for him to step aside, find a new job as assistant for 5-10 years where he can learn to be a halfway competent coach before he tries again.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
As much as I wanted Capuano gone and was fine giving Weight the reins after how the team finished last year, he is lightyears worse than Capuano. At least Cappy had a semblance of a clue how to coach a team.

Doug Weight's approach is no system and only holding young players accountable. It's embarrassing, and quite frankly a stain on his hockey career. The best thing for both him and the franchise is for him to step aside, find a new job as assistant for 5-10 years where he can learn to be a halfway competent coach before he tries again.

we compare dumb to dumber - why can't the Isles get someone with some pedigree for a change?!

Reactions: 12Dog

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
we compare dumb to dumber - why can't the Isles get someone with some pedigree for a change?!
:laugh: It kind of reminded me of some Pens fans talking about Bylsma in a glowing light because Mike Johnston turned out also to be a disaster. "At least they could score under Bylsma".

One coach being really bad doesn't suddenly make firing another bad coach a bad decision.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Crapuano certainly looked and sounded dumber. Weight is more emotional than crap (no pun intended).

I just hope they don’t retain snow and fire weight; couid see them pinning this season on him. I don’t trust the owner’s hockey knowledge and I suspect Snow has brainwashed them to some degree.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
:laugh: It kind of reminded me of some Pens fans talking about Bylsma in a glowing light because Mike Johnston turned out also to be a disaster. "At least they could score under Bylsma".

One coach being really bad doesn't suddenly make firing another bad coach a bad decision.
Case in point: us firing Abysmal and replacing him Pittiphill Housley.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Capuano was a good systems coach, he just could not adjust on the fly and would stick with something that didn't work for too long. Weight looks like he sucks with systems, and he's also not able to adjust on the fly and too stubborn to change. I hate to dump on Weight because I believe with the right staff around him, and a little bit more accountability (job uncertainty) he'd be a solid coach. He needs a bad cop to run shotgun with him, that knows how to run a defense. When a team is bleeding this many shots/goals a night, it's a deeper problem than personnel.

This team could really use a Brad Shaw back there running the defense. They haven't had a strong defensive mind back there since Jacques Laperriere.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Capuano was a good systems coach, he just could not adjust on the fly and would stick with something that didn't work for too long. Weight looks like he sucks with systems, and he's also not able to adjust on the fly and too stubborn to change. I hate to dump on Weight because I believe with the right staff around him, and a little bit more accountability (job uncertainty) he'd be a solid coach. He needs a bad cop to run shotgun with him, that knows how to run a defense. When a team is bleeding this many shots/goals a night, it's a deeper problem than personnel.

This team could really use a Brad Shaw back there running the defense. They haven't had a strong defensive mind back there since Jacques Laperriere.

Agree with your assessment. Interesting you brought up Brad Shaw... he was one of the better interim coaches the Isles had. I always thought he had a strong future ahead of him.

I liked Weight from last year and was willing to give him a chance. But I was concerned with the lack of his experience and if he had enough x/o knowledge.

Therefore, I didn’t mind Weight but I absolutely wanted a more systems based assistant coach. Basically a personality dud who is a strategy genius.

Reactions: Jester9881

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I think Capuano's issue in addition to in game adjustments was that he rant he wrong systems, though the team did follow what he implemented.

Reactions: Jester9881

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Agree with your assessment. Interesting you brought up Brad Shaw... he was one of the better interim coaches the Isles had. I always thought he had a strong future ahead of him.

I liked Weight from last year and was willing to give him a chance. But I was concerned with the lack of his experience and if he had enough x/o knowledge.

Therefore, I didn’t mind Weight but I absolutely wanted a more systems based assistant coach. Basically a personality dud who is a strategy genius.

Brad Shaw is a great defensive coach everywhere he's been. I'm not sure he would be good as a HC, but wherever he's gone the defense has improved and eventually becomes a strength.

I think Capuano's issue in addition to in game adjustments was that he rant he wrong systems, though the team did follow what he implemented.

He kept getting more and more defensive in his systems, and it got the point where it strangled all the offense. Ironically, if he had a competent PP (was run by Weight) he might still have a HC job here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad