Doug Weight

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Dead Weight admitted he didn't put Barzal (you know, the most skilled guy on the team and one of the most in the entire league) in the shootout as punishment for the turnover in OT. Jesus Christ just give him the Old Yeller treatment already.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Dead Weight admitted he didn't put Barzal (you know, the most skilled guy on the team and one of the most in the entire league) in the shootout as punishment for the turnover in OT. Jesus Christ just give him the Old Yeller treatment already.

What? Where?

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Newsday. Someone on another board posted the direct quote and link and I have no idea how to do any of that because I can barely use this phone to make calls and am a tech dummy

Okay, so for anyone who's interested here's the quote:

“I wasn’t going Barzy,” Weight said, “because I wasn’t happy with the through-the-legs move in the last two minutes and 10 seconds, so I wasn’t doing it. But that’s for another day.”

And the article: Weight defends using Tavares in shootout vs. Oilers

And all I have to say right now is: f*** you, Weight, just f***ing f*** you, you little shit.

EDIT: One more thing. I'm really going back to my theory that Barzal kicked Weight's dog or something, because it should be impossible to be THAT stupid.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Maybe Weight felt he should have had an MSG Beginnings special before Barzal got one . Another 4 weeks and hopefully we never see Doug Weight again . Ever

Reactions: Eberzal

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
By the way I am glad that the local press has decided to hold the feet of this atrocity of an organization to the fire for being an embarrassment to the sport. Wait, the local writers are just going to do their millionth piece on the rags instead, my bad.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
As per my previous post I’m not happy with Weight as a coach. But I have no problem with the way he handled Barzal in that OT.

That was a stupid time and place to try to toe drag the puck between the legs. You never do it as the last man back and you should limit that to when already skating up the ice along the boards.

You should never try it when not already skating at full speed directly at/towards a player (your legs naturally hitch to a pause to pull it off) skilled players (McDavid) can easily time a poke check.

I love Barzal and the way he plays. He has a future superstar career ahead of him. But I would of sat him down too for that play. Rather than trying to show McDavid up, He could have easily protected the puck on his forehand while cutting up the left side boards.

People can feel free to criticize Weight for his lack of holding other players equally accountable, but that doesn’t justify Barzal getting a pass on that particular play.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
As per my previous post I’m not happy with Weight as a coach. But I have no problem with the way he handled Barzal in that OT.

That was a stupid time and place to try to toe drag the puck between the legs. You never do it as the last man back and you should limit that to when already skating up the ice along the boards.

You should never try it when not already skating at full speed directly at/towards a player (your legs naturally hitch to a pause to pull it off) skilled players (McDavid) can easily time a poke check.

I love Barzal and the way he plays. He has a future superstar career ahead of him. But I would of sat him down too for that play. Rather than trying to show McDavid up, He could have easily protected the puck on his forehand while cutting up the left side boards.

People can feel free to criticize Weight for his lack of holding other players equally accountable, but that doesn’t justify Barzal getting a pass on that particular play.

Bullsh*t.....you win the game, then you punish....if that is what Weight did, putting the team second, then he should be fired immediately.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Barzal got beat by the best player on the planet. It happens. If you MUST punish him, there are like a million things you could do better and less self destructive than not using him in a shootout. He is by far the team's most skilled guy, not putting him in a shootout needlessly punishes the team by lowering their chance to win. But it's Doug doing his fake tough guy act on a rookie because he doesn't have the balls to do it to a vet. Bottom line is that Weight totally sucks and is a complete fake phoney fraud who needs to go.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Cappy
Parts of 4 years as ECHL head coach, 8 years as ECHL GM. 3 of these seasons he was coach and GM.

Parts of 4 seasons as AHL head coach
NHL assistant coach
Many seasons as NHL head coach.
------------------------------------------------

Doug Weight
Assistant under Cappy
Chews gum
Yells a lot
Stupid smirk
Was mean to Stan

Yeah he's qualified

Reactions: seafoam

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Bullsh*t.....you win the game, then you punish....if that is what Weight did, putting the team second, then he should be fired immediately.

Barzal got beat by the best player on the planet. It happens. If you MUST punish him, there are like a million things you could do better and less self destructive than not using him in a shootout. He is by far the team's most skilled guy, not putting him in a shootout needlessly punishes the team by lowering their chance to win. But it's Doug doing his fake tough guy act on a rookie because he doesn't have the balls to do it to a vet. Bottom line is that Weight totally sucks and is a complete fake phoney fraud who needs to go.

Al Arbour would have, and did the same thing... Pat Lafontaine once failed to backcheck and was benched for an entire third period. Afterwards Arbour was quoted in the press as saying something to the effect of... “If there was a loose $100 dollar bill in our crease, you could bet he would have made it back!” (Lol, goes to show how much less they made then.)

Doug Weight is NOT Arbour. I’m not defending Weight. I want Weight removed. But I’m not going to let my disapproval of Weight from deterring me from a justifiable criticism on that play by Barzal.

Moreover, I know it’s equally unpopular to criticize Barzal. But I think it was a fundamentally bad decision. Which he is making more of late. I get the whole “young skilled players are going to have turnovers.” But he’s starting to develop bad habits reminiscent of a young Alexei Kovalev... who looked for style over purpose.

Isles need a new coach so as to not waste Barzal’s development years as they did with Tavares.

Last edited:
Reactions: PK Cronin

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I think he could have addresssed the move in another way; especially given that his shootout attempt could have tied things up.

W that said, Barzal’s antics most certainly need to be addressed. He’s a liability when he tries thise extra moves; he robs himself of a better scoring chance or creates a turnover.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think he could have addresssed the move in another way; especially given that his shootout attempt could have tied things up.

W that said, Barzal’s antics most certainly need to be addressed. He’s a liability when he tries thise extra moves; he robs himself of a better scoring chance or creates a turnover.
What is better or more impactful to a player than their playing time and taking away big moments. You take it away now and cost the team one game instead of more by being soft on it.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Snow is spineless and won't fire his buddy.

Ledecky is a jackass and will probable promote Snow to president and Weight to GM.

The sooner Ledecky sells the better. He does not care about winning. Its another owner chasing real estate.

Reactions: 12Dog

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I'm with you on Snow and Dead Weight but I don't think it's fair to write off Ledecky just yet. If he was making a land grab there were a lot greener pastures out there than Belmont! Say what you will but he is bringing the franchise back to LI and the jury is still out as to whether he can manage this franchise. Getting rid of the 12 year Snow reign of futility would be a great start!

Snow is spineless and won't fire his buddy.

Ledecky is a jackass and will probable promote Snow to president and Weight to GM.

The sooner Ledecky sells the better. He does not care about winning. Its another owner chasing real estate.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I'm with you on Snow and Dead Weight but I don't think it's fair to write off Ledecky just yet. If he was making a land grab there were a lot greener pastures out there than Belmont! Say what you will but he is bringing the franchise back to LI and the jury is still out as to whether he can manage this franchise. Getting rid of the 12 year Snow reign of futility would be a great start!

We read the same things defending Wang, e.g. ‘he’s keeping the team in NY, he saved the franchise.’

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I would also argue that Wang did save the franchise as well. Regardless, with Wang you always had the feeling that owning the franchise was like an albatross for him. He was throwing money away stuck in an arena where he had no chance to make money. With Ledecky, this seems to be more of a passion and he at least seems engaged with the process. The jury is definitely still out on him but I'm not willing to write him off after two years.

We read the same things defending Wang, e.g. ‘he’s keeping the team in NY, he saved the franchise.’

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I would also argue that Wang did save the franchise as well. Regardless, with Wang you always had the feeling that owning the franchise was like an albatross for him. He was throwing money away stuck in an arena where he had no chance to make money. With Ledecky, this seems to be more of a passion and he at least seems engaged with the process. The jury is definitely still out on him but I'm not willing to write him off after two years.

It has only been 2 years but does it take 2 years to hire a president. Does it take 2 years to realize that a GM of 12 years should be fired.

Until Ledecky proves otherwise he does not care about winning

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
It has only been 2 years but does it take 2 years to hire a president. Does it take 2 years to realize that a GM of 12 years should be fired.

Until Ledecky proves otherwise he does not care about winning

I certainly understand why they might have done little with the club, focusing on the arena, especially considering the way we finished last year. Well...now is the time andthis is the off-season to prove they are committed to winning. Arena is now a done deal, and focus should be placed on the team and club structure.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

I'm giving Ledecky to the end of April,after that, he's Wang II, only difference is he actually got the real estate deal done and that's all he cares about. If he moves on from the ametur hour crap that Snow/Weight are and brings in competent proven management and coaches, then we will know we have someone who wants to build a winner, if these turds are here after April, I am done. Can't waste my time on a franchise who has no desire to be professional and employ top notch management

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I certainly understand why they might have done little with the club, focusing on the arena, especially considering the way we finished last year. Well...now is the time andthis is the off-season to prove they are committed to winning. Arena is now a done deal, and focus should be placed on the team and club structure.

They can multi task... when your worth millions you have that ability most of the time.

They also “searched” for a team president last season.

They probably want to avoid Snows buyout because they intend to flip the team. Until proven otherwise they do not care about a winning team

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I'm giving Ledecky to the end of April,after that, he's Wang II, only difference is he actually got the real estate deal done and that's all he cares about. If he moves on from the ametur hour crap that Snow/Weight are and brings in competent proven management and coaches, then we will know we have someone who wants to build a winner, if these turds are here after April, I am done. Can't waste my time on a franchise who has no desire to be professional and employ top notch management
I’m with you. Even though I don’t agree with it, I can understand why they would retain Snow this year. I also don’t expect them to clean house mid season. They have until a week after the season ends to fire everyone, otherwise I’m done with the team.

Reactions: BTrotts19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad