Does Matthews hit 40 goals again this season (2017-2018) ?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He hit 40 based on a 4 goal game before NHL coaches and defenseman could gameplan him.

How could they not have gameplanned him if he was listed on the opening night roster? They gameplan everyone, including the rookies. Matthews getting 40 was not luck.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
He deserves that four goal game just as much as Laine's hatricks! Goal scorers score, none have ever done it every game! Streaks happen to everyone! Matthews will have a little less but more points.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
He might, but suspect he will be in the 32-39 range but gets more points then last year.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I think you need to re-read his post. He explained it quite clearly.

Something incorrect explained clearly is just clearly incorrect. How many shots you get is not part of defensive play, end of story. It doesn't matter how many different ways you try to explain it, it's still wrong.

I'll go a step further here. If Matthews does continue to neglect the defensive responsibilities of his position in order to crash the net and score more goals, it will help him get paid a lot more but the Leafs will never advance beyond a middle of the pack team. If he's willing to sacrifice some of those goals in order to play a defense first game like other cup winning 2-way centers the Leafs have a shot to be a very good team (if they can find a #1D)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Something incorrect explained clearly is just clearly incorrect. How many shots you get is not part of defensive play, end of story. It doesn't matter how many different ways you try to explain it, it's still wrong.

I'll go a step further here. If Matthews does continue to neglect the defensive responsibilities of his position in order to crash the net and score more goals, it will help him get paid a lot more but the Leafs will never advance beyond a middle of the pack team. If he's willing to sacrifice some of those goals in order to play a defense first game like other cup winning 2-way centers the Leafs have a shot to be a very good team (if they can find a #1D)

this is literally the worst post on here

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
14% from the areas he was shooting from really isn't that out of the ordinary. His xgf stat corroborates that, but whatever

Yeah. If something decreases I see it him having harder time to get shos off in front of the net. He'll always be a monster in that regard but maybe teams will focus on his strengths more this season. I also think it's possible he starts to pass more if he gets to play with Marleau (who actually is rather good playmaker too).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yeah. If something decreases I see it him having harder time to get shos off in front of the net. He'll always be a monster in that regard but maybe teams will focus on his strengths more this season. I also think it's possible he starts to pass more if he gets to play with Marleau (who actually is rather good playmaker too).

It's hard to say really. Just because your tendencies are known doesn't mean they can be stopped. Everyone knows Ovechkin wants to get a shot off from the left circle, but he still has hundreds of goals from that spot.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
He's going to be around 35 to 40. I'm guessing he falls just a tad short but it's more about him focusing more on playmaking due to improved line mates. I see him increasing his assist and point totals but slightly going down on his goals.

36+44=80 is my prediction today.

Yea this is what I'm thinking also.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'll say no simply because 40 is incredibly hard to do repeatedly in today's era. Stamkos and Ovechkin are the only players to do it back to back at any point in the last 8 seasons.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016

Your mental gymnastics to try and slam Matthews and the Leafs are gold medal worthy. At this point its pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

1) Matthews' goal scoring (as a teenage D+1 rookie) >>>>>>>> Kopitar/Toews (in their D+2 rookie years) & Bergeron (in his D+1 rookie year). Matthews led the league in 5v5 goals, ixGF and finished 2nd in total goals. Something none of these other guys have EVER done. Never ever in their collective 30+ NHL seasons. Matthews did all of that in his first year in the league only a few months after being drafted. In other words, Matthews' goal scoring is already far better than the PEAK goal scoring years of any of those guys.

The comparison is not even remotely close, so why the **** are you insisting on any of those players being a template for Matthews' goal scoring future? That's beyond nonsensical and laughable.

2) The Leafs are not the Red Wings of years past that Babcock coached and even still, Babcock coached a system resulting in consistent top 5 shot generation for those squads. The Leafs team is built around speed and a group of forwards easily in the Top 3 in the league in offensive talent. Babcock is only going to continue to utilize that by coaching a high pace system that encourages those forwards to get as many scoring chances as possible. That kind of offensive barrage at the expense of "tight defense" is exactly what helped the Pens just win 2 Cups in a row, so the notion that the Leafs are going to get nowhere with a similar style sounds purely like wishful thinking on your part.

Like someone else said, you were proven laughably wrong in this other thread about the same thing: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2380255&page=5

and now you're being proven laughably wrong here.

Maybe considering learning more about Matthews, Babcock, and the Leafs before continuing to make such silly posts.

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
It's hard to say really. Just because your tendencies are known doesn't mean they can be stopped. Everyone knows Ovechkin wants to get a shot off from the left circle, but he still has hundreds of goals from that spot.

Yup. I don't think he's ever going to be stopped, but maybe he'll be more tightly guarded. But in all honesty, I think the biggest reason for him not hitting 40 (if that happens) is going to be because he focuses on playmaking more now that he'll have legitimate finisher on his line.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Your mental gymnastics to try and slam Matthews and the Leafs are gold medal worthy. At this point its pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

1) Matthews' goal scoring (as a teenage D+1 rookie) >>>>>>>> Kopitar/Toews (in their D+2 rookie years) & Bergeron (in his D+1 rookie year). Matthews led the league in 5v5 goals, ixGF and finished 2nd in total goals. Something none of these other guys have EVER done. Never ever in their collective 30+ NHL seasons. Matthews did all of that in his first year in the league only a few months after being drafted. In other words, Matthews' goal scoring is already far better than the PEAK goal scoring years of any of those guys.

The comparison is not even remotely close, so why the **** are you insisting on any of those players being a template for Matthews' goal scoring future? That's beyond nonsensical and laughable.

2) The Leafs are not the Red Wings of years past that Babcock coached and even still, Babcock coached a system resulting in consistent top 5 shot generation for those squads. The Leafs team is built around speed and a group of forwards easily in the Top 3 in the league in offensive talent. Babcock is only going to continue to utilize that by coaching a high pace system that encourages those forwards to get as many scoring chances as possible. That kind of offensive barrage at the expense of "tight defense" is exactly what helped the Pens just win 2 Cups in a row, so the notion that the Leafs are going to get nowhere with a similar style sounds purely like wishful thinking on your part.

Like someone else said, you were proven laughably wrong in this other thread about the same thing: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2380255&page=5

and now you're being proven laughably wrong here.

Maybe considering learning more about Matthews, Babcock, and the Leafs before continuing to make such silly posts.

Your patience in dealing with such garbage reasoning is ridiculous

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Coin flip for me. Voted no, but I'd expect him to finish off at 0.45+ GPG rate. But a lot has to go right to score 40 goals, including staying healthy. History would also suggest that it's very difficult to build upon elite rookie seasons, and teams will begin to game plan around him more.

That said, if things go right for him, he could break 45+.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad