Does Matthews hit 40 goals again this season (2017-2018) ?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Won't be surprised either way, voted yes because of:
- he's a bigtime shot generator and I don't see that changing, will probably improve a bit if anything. Could see a bump in shooting % as well
- pretty good bet that Hyman will be replaced on his line by a better linemate, might net more shooting opportunities
- Nylander could improve a bit as well
- might get more icetime as a 2nd year player, more opportunity to shoot and score

this is predicated on being healthy, if he's hurt he doesn't reach 40 obviously

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I don't see why not. He has a sustainable shooting percentage, now has a better line this coming season with one year more of experience and an overall forward group that has more depth than last year.

The vast majority of Matthews' goals were from in close so I see no reason why he can't improve on his totals. If he were sniping a lot from further out and had a lot of empty net goals, then yeah may be scores less, but Matthews scores differently than most.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
He scored a lot of goals similar to Scheifele last season, going to the net and finding the open ice for a pass or knocking in rebounds/loose pucks. I think he hits a minimum of 35, 40 is definitely doable. He's not a perimeter sniper which means teams have to work even harder to stop him from scoring because he's so good in those areas in tight.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
It's so much easier to take the under in a situation like this but I think he'll do it. He takes a lot of shots and spends a bunch of time around the net. He doesn't rely on other people to score so it's not like juggling linemates or anything of the like would have a huge impact on him.

I like his chances.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'll say yes. It wasn't like he had a crazy high shooting % and he could very well be top 5 in the NHL in shots.

also adding Marleau to his line and subtracting Hyman will help.

37-43 is the likely range assuming he is healthy

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
No. Might hit mid 30s if he has a good season.

If he has a good season, he can hit 40 and above.

I said no, guessing he has an alright season goal wise around the 30 to just under 40 area.

Still definitely doable with the way he hounds that puck.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
If Matthews hit 40 shooting 22%, I'd say no but he shot an easily sustainable shooting percentage, and went through like a 10 game streak without scoring. He's very effective at generating shots and I don't think that's gonna change. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits 45

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
If Matthews hit 40 shooting 22%, I'd say no but he shot an easily sustainable shooting percentage, and went through like a 10 game streak without scoring. He's very effective at generating shots and I don't think that's gonna change. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits 45

He actually didn't score in 20 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad