Do you want a new GM?

Dou you want a new GM?

• Total voters

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We need someone semi-younger imo. The game is changing into a speed & skill game and most old school coaches don't know how to adapt.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I wasn't aware of his age but I thought I remember reading an interview with him a few years back where he was asked about his desire to move up and possibly away. His response was something to the effect that he loved living here and felt very challenged by the job he has. He didn't specifically say he wouldn't go but he sounded pretty comfortable without leaving for greener pastures.

He may be too old but it sure wouldn't be a surprising for this organization to make a move like that, that nobody saw coming. I think mcNab would be very qualified.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
In my opinion, Joel Quenville is the best coach in the NHL. If he where available, I would do anything to get him to coach the Ducks. However, as mightyquack said, I think Chicago gives him one more year. He has earned it as a result of the multiple cups. Also, problems with that team are more of a construction issue than coaching. But man would it be awesome to see him behind the Ducks bench.

I don't think he's the best, but he's damn good. I could see Murray being interested, but isn't Q one of the highest paid coaches? I imagine someone would offer up more $ than we would.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
When it comes to GMBM I don't think this is the right time for him to be fired/ step down. Yes this has been a poor year compared to recent seasons, and trading for 4th line veterans hasn't been what many fans were hoping for but in all honesty was this the year to mortgage the future on trying to win the Cup this season? The answer is no. The absolute best outcome I can imagine for this team this season is reaching the Western Conference Final, and that would be a real stretch and involve a a ton of luck.

Randy Carlyle should go at the end of the season regardless if Anaheim makes the playoffs or not. He should never have been hired in the first place, and his old school approach is holding the team back more than its helping. Dallas Eakins would be a natural person to look at as a replacement, but management could look elsewhere.

I think next year's deadline is a make or break moment for Murray. If we are not a contender it is most likely time to blow up the core (at least the forwards), but if there is a chance then we have to go for it by adding a piece or two (but to also not sell the farm to buy a cow). If Murray does nothing next year then it should be time for ownership to decide to fire him or not.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
How many GMs in the league are better than Murray? The chance that we will downgrade in a change is pretty evident. In the end of the day Bob is a very good GM who makes his mistakes. Bob McKenzie once said he can name at least 5 incredibly bad actions of any GM in the league. We tend to pick out the good moves of some GMs and compare them with ours. Most powerhouses in league sucked for quite some time or have much more ressources to work with. This team missed the playoffs twice in 10 years, has won the pacific 5 times in a row and has been in the conference finals twice in the last 5 years. He may have his faults but he is a good GM, especially in our overall situation. His front office tends to draft well, and I give him credit for establishing this team and let them have the standing within the organisation. His team tends do work out great second deals for players. I mean Rakell, Lindholm, back then the Fowler deal, Gibby, Andersen, Silfv, Cogs ... all good or excellent deals.

There are way more positive things than negative ones. Can you say the majority of this of the other GMs? Like I said, the risk of getting a Chiarelli is always there. Can the Ducks survive being on the bottom of the league for a few years in a row?

It will be interesting to see who will follow him.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
How many GMs in the league are better than Murray? The chance that we will downgrade in a change is pretty evident. In the end of the day Bob is a very good GM who makes his mistakes. Bob McKenzie once said he can name at least 5 incredibly bad actions of any GM in the league. We tend to pick out the good moves of some GMs and compare them with ours. Most powerhouses in league sucked for quite some time or have much more ressources to work with. This team missed the playoffs twice in 10 years, has won the pacific 5 times in a row and has been in the conference finals twice in the last 5 years. He may have his faults but he is a good GM, especially in our overall situation. His front office tends to draft well, and I give him credit for establishing this team and let them have the standing within the organisation. His team tends do work out great second deals for players. I mean Rakell, Lindholm, back then the Fowler deal, Gibby, Andersen, Silfv, Cogs ... all good or excellent deals.

There are way more positive things than negative ones. Can you say the majority of this of the other GMs? Like I said, the risk of getting a Chiarelli is always there. Can the Ducks survive being on the bottom of the league for a few years in a row?

It will be interesting to see who will follow him.

Very good GMs don’t bring in Randy Carlyle to coach a team with cup aspirations in 2016. Maybe in 2005 but not in this era.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Very good GMs don’t bring in Randy Carlyle to coach a team with cup aspirations in 2016. Maybe in 2005 but not in this era.

I will take what they said after hireing Randy. He was a wish of the players too. They felt he will help them. This was a collective decision and they went the known road with him. I would also argue, very good GMs don't bring in a rookie coach with a mediocre AHL record to a team with cup aspirations in 2016.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I will take what they said after hireing Randy. He was a wish of the players too. They felt he will help them. This was a collective decision and they went the known road with him. I would also argue, very good GMs don't bring in a rookie coach with a mediocre AHL record to a team with cup aspirations in 2016.
I will take that with a grain of salt. It was common knowledge that Randy had lost the locker room during his previous stint, they had to somehow make it seem that the players wanted him back, too. And when your GM brings you an idea (and it was clearly Murray's idea to rehire Randy), most players won't openly refuse to play for a coach (who they know is tight with the GM). It's not like the players had a choice of coaches. I bet it was more like "I've decided to hire RC, how do you feel about that?" Now, what are you going to say to that?

Even if the players had somehow forgotten how Randy's previous coaching stint ended, it was still a very bad idea to bring back a coach who had already lost the room once. And let's face it, there is no way in hell the idea originated with the players. The blame lies 100% with Bob Murray who decided to hire his friend.

That said, I still don't want a new GM, for reasons already stated by others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Caravella

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I don't think this is accurate. I don't think he was a wish of the players at all. The comments Murray made after that hire seemed to insinuate that he got the okay from the players. It's one thing to hope and a completely different thing to just accept. Based on the feuds when Carlyle left the first time; I think it was them accepting it rather than wanting it.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I don't think this is accurate. I don't think he was a wish of the players at all. The comments Murray made after that hire seemed to insinuate that he got the okay from the players. It's one thing to hope and a completely different thing to just accept. Based on the feuds when Carlyle left the first time; I think it was them accepting it rather than wanting it.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I tried to say but got all wordy.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
1) we were out coached when we lost to the Oilers in the wcf
2) won the cup in spite of Randy, largely due to incredible team and solid veteran leadership
3) made the same mistakes being made now which led to firing of RC..guys were either lost, or tuned out....
4) Randy starts hanging around the Honda center. Starts talking to people including players about how much he hasn't learned and understands the game has changed
5) everybody falls for it
6) which is actually 3 again

These are my unproven, no facts used in the writing of this reason we are one of the most frustrating/teases of a franchise ever!!

So to answer the OP Bieksa and Carlyle could be fireable offenses, but BM has overall done a good job without being able to find the final solution though

Reactions: Paul4587
Oct 18, 2011
I'm in the middle. I don't think he's done a bad job but he's had the job for like 10 years, when he had gets and Perry on cheap contracts he didn't go for it. He chose a half assed rebuild.

I don't think RCs system works well in this NHL, it's completely dependent on great goaltending, this collapse and let the other team have the puck stuff is a bad way to play.

I also look at our salary structure and feel like an aggressive move for a top dman over the last year needed to be done. The window is closing.

OTOH our farm system has been doing a good job despite not getting any high picks but how much of that is Murray? Nobody knows. I do think if this season does not end well it's time to make some moves to acquire more youth and picks.

Which brings me to the TDL, I do not understand why you bring in old guys who are almost out of the league, vs trying to find out what some of these Gulls guys have. I watch Kossilla and I see a good player who just needs an opportunity. I don't know in today's league getting older like this doesn't work. The Bieksa situation has been a total joke, we lost a good young dman because of this BS not to mention he makes way to much money for a budget team, Murray's evaluation of vet dmen for most of his tenure has been terrible.

He hit on Vis and Lovejoy but there's alot of misses

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

The fact is Murray hired a guy whose defensive system hadn’t worked in the NHL since he had two hall of fame blueliners playing on his team. They came out to the media and said Randy has changed his ways and has evolved. Next season we see the same system he’s always implemented and we get outshot and our chanced on a nightly basis. I was one of the few who thought Randy could have evolved but I was wrong. He’s great at getting his matchups and sticking to them but he’s still got the exact same flaws he did 10 years ago.

Thankfully for Randy last year we got by on Getzlaf, Rakell and Kesler having phenomenal seasons, and Fowler having a great first half. This season hasn’t been as pretty. We aren’t going to be lucky enough to run into Edmonton and Calgary again in the playoffs this season.

Reactions: Duck Off

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
For all those saying "Randy needs to go, but not Murray"; how many coaches does he get to fire before he goes?

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
The way our season has evolved with injuries, I think it will be an accomplishment for the team to reach the playoffs this year. Once we get to the playoffs anything can happen, and for the first time in many years, we won't be a top seed in the WC. Maybe Gibson can channel some 2003-Giguere ? :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad