Do you want a new GM?

Dou you want a new GM?

• Total voters

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
He does keep talking about bringing more speed to the lineup...by adding Chimera and Kelly? I was honestly more interested in the womens' olympic games than the men's, TBH, so didn't see Kelly's play. Does Chimera still have wheels?
In the Islanders/Ducks game it looked like Chimera still had some wheels, Hampus had to race after him to get to a puck that Hampus got there just in time to force an icing call. Chimera probably needs reduced ice time so he has the energy.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I just have to believe bieska was brought in and extended for kesler... and if that's the case I would have never accepted kesler.... I didn't want you carry on

we just need Steel to become next years Barzal, unfortunately if he shows any skill RC will send him to the AHL, for not dumping the puck in and cycling.

Right, just as he's done with Kase.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I think BM has done a good job as GM. The track record of consistent regular season excellence speaks for itself. My preference would be to bring in a new coach and keep BM. But something has to change here.

Reactions: Emerald Duck

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
The reality is that this team isn't winning anything without a healthy Kesler. That line is by far the biggest difference between last year and this year.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I've been over Bob for a while, he's aces at some things, but not progressive enough in his approach towards others. But seeing Chiarelli at work reminds me of what an over-aggressive GM can do to a franchise. I'll always think Murray failed to find a way to get this team over the hump, and continues to, which really pisses me off. But I'm afraid of what a replacement could end up doing. He needs to get rid of Randy and overcome this fetish for overpaid "veteran" clunkers. Times are changing, figure it out, Bob.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
BM is a pretty decent GM. My problem is he is rarely proactive. Alot of his moves are reactionary, and it doesn't seem like the team has any direction, style or system.

He is afraid to trade futures to upgrade the team when it matters, but we loose them anyways for little to nothing after they go from valuable prospects to marginal nhlers with no value.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Murray is a decent GM but I don't want him wasting the prime of our future core like he has this one. Let him ride out the Getz/Perry years and once those are over bring in someone new. I hope he can prove me wrong because he does have a good body of work, just didn't get the results he could have if he was more proactive during this window.

^ This! With the age of this team and how much money is tied up in those aging players, I'd rather see Murray try to do what he can and let someone else start from scratch.

In a few years our D will have matured and hopefully we do well enough in our drafting and trades to have a decent group of forwards. Bob just has to fill as many holes as he can and hope a few prospects can be realized and hope for lightning in a bottle for one year where everything works.

John

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
There's not much that hasn't been said. But I will say Bob deserves credit for a lot of good things he has done over the years. Most of that is good RFA signings and not making terrible trades. But his expiration date is about to pass. Loyalty is a wonderful thing. Helping people behind the scenes is a great way to reward loyalty. But hiring friends for critical jobs they are no longer qualified for cannot be acceptable when running a business. RC absolutely has to go and the fact that Bob can't see that means it may just be time to put him out to pasture as well. Not that I would expect it to happen. But I fear Bob is only on the path to making more bad decisions than good as long as he stays.

Reactions: Getz2perry

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
Im a big fan of BM, and feel his biggest fault is his loyalty...I would argue that he did make the moves to put this team over the top, but the players in the locker room failed to do there part....i really like what he did this deadline as much as fans of the team hate to see a "bubble team" stand pat, why make a move (spend assets) to make this current team "better" when they players have show a lack of intrest in competeing each night?...was there any player traded today, that if the ducks added we could say now they are a favorite to win the cup?...I think he may very well have made the best trade of the season in adding henrique, the eaves deal was a good one last year too (sucks about that injury).

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I think they could have gotten Tatar without giving up any of those, Vegas gave up only a late 1st, late 2nd & late 4th to get Tatar Sauce from Detroit.

With Tatar you add 5.3 m cap per year on a front loaded deal. Following players salaries are over their cap next year:

Perry 375k
Getzlaf 600k
Henrique 1.5m
Lindholm 1.5m
Fowler 1m
Giblson 1m

That means we will spend around 5-6m (some players are a little bit below) more than our cap hit will be. Then we have to resign Kase, Ritchie and Montour.

It is impossible to add a contract like Tatar when you limit our options with an internal budget.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Typical duck fan amnesia regarding Carlyle was years run not enough to prove he's a great coach especially in the playoffs? Let's hire some unknown prospect coach :thumbu:

You are absolutely the last person who should be criticizing anyone for having amnesia, seeing in that you only show up in convos that support your arguments. Primary example is anything Boll related.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
As for my thoughts:

1st, it's unfair to ask fans that right now after a disappointing deadline. This topic should come up when our season ends.

Should it end with a 1st round exit or missing the playoffs, I'd say yes, he needs to go. Why? Because if there is a standard to our coaches that anything less than the cup is not enough, that should stand for the GM too. Bruce had ridiculous amounts of regular season success. Even some playoff success. Yet, he's fired. I understand why, and don't necessarily disagree with that decision. I just disagree that very good isn't enough for coaches, yet it's fine for GMs. I know you can't compare them "apples to apples', but I think that thinking is justified since Murray's leash has been so much longer.

For those that disagree that he should go, and only Carlyle should go; I ask the same question I asked the last time this topic came up: How many coaches does Murray get to go through before it's him that goes? Assuming RC goes, that's 3. Exactly how long do we give him?

I've never been one who's shy to share my frustrations with Bob. This year, it's been different because I honestly believe that our roster (on paper anyway) is best team we've had since the cup year. I do think this year's struggles have more to do with the players and especially the coach. However, the coaching hire is on Murray. The players hated RC at the end of the last tenure, he was fired, and yet he's brought back. If RC fails again, which looks fairly likely, Murray has to go with him.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Murray won't be let go until the franchise really suffers financially. He's in pretty tight with the Samuelis' point man.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Considering the window is done why not let bob do what he does best and draft the next cup window by then he will prob be to old to see it through and we can go from there?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Considering the window is done why not let bob do what he does best and draft the next cup window by then he will prob be to old to see it through and we can go from there?
We should have traded everyone for prospects and picks then....and not traded for 40 year olds....

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
My concern is that the moves are getting worse and worse. First it was Souray and Allen (at least you could kind of understand the thought process of needing to add size to the D core). Then it was bring in Stoner for an overpayment, fine since Souray got injured and Allen was Allen I guess. Then it was trade a cheap young goal scorer in Palmieri for a 2nd round pick. Then it was sign Bieksa to that ludicrous extension. Now it's bring in Chimera and Kelly to join Bieksa, Beauchemin, and Vermette as guys who should have retired last year.

Where does it end?

Don't get me wrong, there have been some nice deals thrown in in between here (Kesler, Henrique, Perron, etc) but the overall trend towards older, slower, and less productive is very concerning for me. This team isn't tough either, so it's hilarious if the excuse has been to try and get tougher

Agree with this. I'll add that another frustration I have with Murray is that he waited until last year to pony up those most assets for a rental in his entire tenure here. That's frustrating because there were teams who were more of a contender prior to that.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The team was good enough to win it all three sperate times but the players either choked or injuries occurred.

The lack of a cup is on the guys who couldnt close out multiple 3-2 series leads.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I think one thing that's being missed in this discussion is how much credit BM deserves for scouting, drafting, and development. I don't think it's fair to compartmentalize when critiquing a GM, you can't just focus on trades, FA signings, and contracts.

BM has presided over an exemplary record of drafting and development, especially considering where we have been drafting. Can you bring in a new GM and maintain this?

I don't agree with all of his moves, especially some in the past couple of years. The Bieksa extension was ridiculous, not to mention losing Theo because he wasn't asked to be bought out. I am in the minority, but didn't like the Fowler extension. Saw this trade deadline as his response to a team that has disappointed him. Hope he sees that the RC thing is not working, again.

Reactions: Spazkat

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
The team was good enough to win it all three sperate times but the players either choked or injuries occurred.

The lack of a cup is on the guys who couldnt close out multiple 3-2 series leads.

I don't agree with this. Not saying the players didn't choke, but the only year I thought we should have won the cup was the year we lost to Chicago in the WCF. That team should have won the cup. More often than not, I thought Bruce got our team to play better during the regular season than the roster actually was. Their regular season success brought higher expectations for the post season. Aside from that one year, I never thought we had a true "contender" roster.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don't agree with this. Not saying the players didn't choke, but the only year I thought we should have won the cup was the year we lost to Chicago in the WCF. That team should have won the cup. More often than not, I thought Bruce got our team to play better during the regular season than the roster actually was. Their regular season success brought higher expectations for the post season. Aside from that one year, I never thought we had a true "contender" roster.
I'm not sure how you can say that when the players choked against the eventual cup winners in consecutive years and then should have beaten the preds last year if not for some terrible injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad