Do you want a new GM?

Dou you want a new GM?

• Total voters

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
This is a hard one for me. On one hand, I think Murray is a really good GM and has made some really good moves, on the other hand, I feel like this team might need a change in philosophy and that starts with a new GM.

Looking at a lot of other teams around the league and what they've been through, we'd more than likely end up with a much worse GM.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
With Murray's loyalty to RC, the only solution (at least this offseason) might be to somehow convince RC to take some sort of BS position in the front office. Special assistant to the GM, pro scouting consultant, etc. Of course, this might take some pushing from ownership. Wonder what would happen if they told Murray to make a change, but he refused?

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I do really like Murray and he has done some great things but also some real head scratching moves.

I am particularly upset about the whole Theodore situation which I think could have been avoided if BM took the driver seat against Bieksa.

I won't let myself get too excited over this deadline as at least we still have our 1st round pick, Steel, Mahura, Terry, and Larsson which I think are great building blocks for our future.

He really needs to get his head out of his ass with this whole veteran BS and if he was that disapointed in the team per his comments last week, then he should have made more of a statement like trading Vermette/Wager/etc... and see what some of our youth can do.

This should be a make or break offseason for BM this year IMO. We have key decisions like how to manage Terry, Montour and Ritchie contracts, and some FA signing decisions to improve our wingers/bottom six/bottom pairing.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I don't see the Samueli's being that involved where they demand making changes - especially if we back our way into the playoffs. Ultimately that's all they care about, playoff revenue. Missing one year may be a blip on the radar for them, and we'll probably see UNFINISHED BUSINESS 2.0 next year.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
No playoff teams are bad and the oilers were favorites. Embarrassed by Nashville? They went to game 6 without Gibson, Eaves, Rackell
Nashville without Rinne gets swept by Anaheim
Oilers were questionable favorites, depends on who you ask. But I agree, not embarrassed by Nashville. Not a great outcome, but also not swept, and we definitely were dealing with injuries, especially finding out after the season that Kes, Lindholm and Vatanen needed surgery.
Carlyle took a team everyone here said wouldn't make the playoffs to the 3rd round and still gets no respect. If Carlyle was 20 years younger he would be worshipped here
Who said they wouldn't make the playoffs? "Everyone" is a bit extreme, don't you think? I definitely thought they were going to be solid in the playoffs. And I have absolutely no clue how age comes into our view of Carlyle.

Reactions: Nurmagomedov

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Agree with many of the posters, so I won't repeat... Otherwise, lets see what happens with the rest of the year... if we miss the playoffs, fire them both.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
My concern is that the moves are getting worse and worse. First it was Souray and Allen (at least you could kind of understand the thought process of needing to add size to the D core). Then it was bring in Stoner for an overpayment, fine since Souray got injured and Allen was Allen I guess. Then it was trade a cheap young goal scorer in Palmieri for a 2nd round pick. Then it was sign Bieksa to that ludicrous extension. Now it's bring in Chimera and Kelly to join Bieksa, Beauchemin, and Vermette as guys who should have retired last year.

Where does it end?

Don't get me wrong, there have been some nice deals thrown in in between here (Kesler, Henrique, Perron, etc) but the overall trend towards older, slower, and less productive is very concerning for me. This team isn't tough either, so it's hilarious if the excuse has been to try and get tougher

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
No playoff teams are bad and the oilers were favorites.
:laugh: No, the Oilers were absolutely not favourites. They were an inexperienced group playing a higher seed. We were the obvious favourites. More people believe in an upset than usual because of the McDavid factor, but we were absolutely the favourites.

Embarrassed by Nashville? They went to game 6 without Gibson, Eaves, Rackell
Embarrassed is too harsh, I agree.

Nashville without Rinne gets swept by Anaheim
Rinne wasn't outstanding in that series. Saros is a quality backup. Rinne wasn't the difference.

Carlyle took a team everyone here said wouldn't make the playoffs to the 3rd round and still gets no respect.
Why are you outright lying to make your idol look good? Not many guys felt we would miss the playoffs, at all. That was an extreme view held by few people. Even the number of people that thought we would struggle to make the playoffs wouldn't be a majority. Our team was far too good to miss. Carlyle didn't mess that up and realistically outdid the limited expectations by winning the division again. He proceded to do only what was expected out of the team in the playoffs, not losing to two underdogs, and losing to the first team at eye-level.

He followed that okay-ish campaign up with this one. A team doing reasonably well with injuries for a long time, admittedly riding great goaltending, but that's acceptable. But as the team gets fully healthy, he shows absolutely no signs of sustained positive development. You are living in a dream world if you want to give him absolution, let alone give him a promotion to include GM duties, which he has never ever dealt with to any meaningful degree. It's f***ing laughable.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Murray is a decent GM but I don't want him wasting the prime of our future core like he has this one. Let him ride out the Getz/Perry years and once those are over bring in someone new. I hope he can prove me wrong because he does have a good body of work, just didn't get the results he could have if he was more proactive during this window.

Reactions: 70sSanO

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't understand why the hate on Murray. B/c he didn't do much on the trade deadline?

We should be fortunate he doesn't trade the future for a rental. That's thinking long term. But Murray was waiting to see what he has in this team. Apparently, this team didn't give him enough promise to want to go big again.

While many don't see the Henrique trade as a part of the trade deadline, Murray was that proactive. Henrique has been great for us! and we get a prospect plus a 3rd round draft pick. I did see rumors that we were in on a couple of scoring forwards, but I know Murry won't mortgage the future either.

Reactions: Emerald Duck

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I don't understand why the hate on Murray. B/c he didn't do much on the trade deadline?

We should be fortunate he doesn't trade the future for a rental. That's thinking long term. But Murray was waiting to see what he has in this team. Apparently, this team didn't give him enough promise to want to go big again.

While many don't see the Henrique trade as a part of the trade deadline, Murray was that proactive. Henrique has been great for us! and we get a prospect plus a 3rd round draft pick. I did see rumors that we were in on a couple of scoring forwards, but I know Murry won't mortgage the future either.
The hate on Murray isn't directly related to this specific deadline. Do you think Carlyle is an NHL coach? Do you think he should be fired? If the answers to those questions are no and yes then a metric shit ton of blame lies at Murray's feet.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like murray, he does a good job with what he has to work with, obviously I'm a lil irritated in general with the season... but if I take a step back and look at it... really hard to blame him outside of bieska and RC.

You cant really predict Eaves is going to get sick and not play the whole year, with the money invested in kesler you have to believe hell come back 100% and be himself there was really nothing he could do about either of those situations. The injuries in general were ridiculous.

my biggest issue with him is his Loyalty to players/coaches no matter how bad they are... which in some regards is probably a good thing but bieska/RC really cloud my judgement on it. He has built a steady contender, with a pretty solid AHL team and prospect pool.... on a team that typically doesn't shell out the money other teams would.

On the blue line, I think its more of a coaching/system issue than anything.. on paper the Blueline is pretty good disregarding bieska, and we still have a really deep defense Fowler/lindholm/manson are legit top 4 guys, Montour still developing and then we have a lot of solid guys coming up in the next year or 2.

Its a frustrating season yes, but its tough to put the blame on BM and hes done a pretty solid job throughout his time in Anaheim, there is a part of me that wishes he would have gone all in a couple seasons like Yzermen/Burke would... but at the same time were a budget team and its not always practical.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Randy Carlyle, our supreme leader. Norris winning defenseman who's defense is playing like shit and two years in a row allows inordinate amount of high danger scoring chances (and I don't mean fancy stats tracked high danger scoring chances). What a freakin' dinosaur.

Rinne wasn't outstanding in that series. Saros is a quality backup. Rinne wasn't the difference.
Rinne was indeed good at best in that series. Laviolette was the difference, not Rinne.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
From Ducks GM Murray Shares Thoughts on Chimera, Kelly and Trade Deadline

On where the Ducks stand at this point in the season

We're right at the edge of being in the playoffs, and we have numerous people who have struggled. I think these guys can help us get our act together. It just hasn't been all there for everybody all year. But that's why none of them are gone. I still believe they can do it. I still think this team can make the playoffs. Some guys have to get their act together, and I think we're a difficult team to play against, as we've shown.​

Could just be covering his ass, but I personally like what he's said here...believes in his group, recognizes that some have underperformed and could potentially do better.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
No, if he goes he probably takes Madden & other scouts with him & the Ducks start drafting duds like the old days in the 90s when they drafted guys that turned out nothing like expected such as Oleg Tverdovsky 2nd overall in 94, Chad Kilger 4th overall in 95, Holmqvist 18th overall in 97, vitaly vishnevski 5th overall in 98, Smirnov 12th overall in 2000 & Chistov 5th overall in 2001. I do not want a return to those type of drafts.

Instead the owners need to put pressure on Murray to fire Carlyle who's stuck in the 1980s.

Reactions: Emerald Duck
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Randy Carlyle, our supreme leader. Norris winning defenseman who's defense is playing like **** and two years in a row allows inordinate amount of high danger scoring chances (and I don't mean fancy stats tracked high danger scoring chances). What a freakin' dinosaur.

Rinne was indeed good at best in that series. Laviolette was the difference, not Rinne.

Lol this ones funny on so many levels. Definitely a lot of people here more or less live in their own world but this one easily takes the cake.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Would have preferred a different coach but it was a player wish too. Bob is a good GM his problem is there is no young brother of a legendary defenceman on this team to sign him in the offseason.

People would burn him if he would have traded away Steel and Terry and a 1st.
I think they could have gotten Tatar without giving up any of those, Vegas gave up only a late 1st, late 2nd & late 4th to get Tatar Sauce from Detroit.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
He does keep talking about bringing more speed to the lineup...by adding Chimera and Kelly? I was honestly more interested in the womens' olympic games than the men's, TBH, so didn't see Kelly's play. Does Chimera still have wheels?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I just have to believe bieska was brought in and extended for kesler... and if that's the case I would have never accepted kesler.... I didn't want you carry on

we just need Steel to become next years Barzal, unfortunately if he shows any skill RC will send him to the AHL, for not dumping the puck in and cycling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad