Do you want a new GM?

Dou you want a new GM?

• Total voters

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I don't think Murray operates with synergy in mind. On the whole his team drafts BPA, no matter the skillset, at least it seems.

His dmen are mobile, but is that because of him or because that is what the current industry values?

His coaching picks are reactionary based on what his roster had previously rejected.

I think he cobbles together the best parts he thinks he can find and then tries to fit them together retroactively. Sometimes that works and sometimes not.

The one time I do think he looks for specific needs is in-season trades. He's very good at identifying an impact player that works in whatever we are doing at that time. Less system and more player-to-player chemistry though.

That is the best way to operate. You draft the best player available and you address needs with trades. Drafting means the players are a few years away. A lot can happen in that time and most players don't even make it to the NHL.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think if RC were to be fired it probably wouldn’t be too quickly given that it’s not exactly what Bob thought he would be doing.

I actually don't know about that. Randy's whole deal, I believe, is essentially structured on a year to year basis, and even making the conference final last year didn't seem to change that and I'm guessing it crossed his mind many times this year. He also wouldn't have the luxury of taking his sweet time this year, so that might accelerate things a bit as well.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I actually don't know about that. Randy's whole deal, I believe, is essentially structured on a year to year basis, and even making the conference final last year didn't seem to change that and I'm guessing it crossed his mind many times this year. He also wouldn't have the luxury of taking his sweet time this year, so that might accelerate things a bit as well.
If I’m not mistaken, RC had his coaching contract extended through next year, early last year. If the old rule of thumb holds, he needs to be extended again this summer in order to not enter next year in a so called lame duck status...or...fired as coach and transition to his office job. Given that a firing wouldn’t be quite the same as if he were leaving the organization I could see Bob holding off on a decision thinking RC could be his backup plan if he can’t potentially get who he might want to replace him. But ultimately, nothing would surprise me with how it plays out.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
If I’m not mistaken, RC had his coaching contract extended through next year, early last year. If the old rule of thumb holds, he needs to be extended again this summer in order to not enter next year in a so called lame duck status...or...fired as coach and transition to his office job. Given that a firing wouldn’t be quite the same as if he were leaving the organization I could see Bob holding off on a decision thinking RC could be his backup plan if he can’t potentially get who he might want to replace him. But ultimately, nothing would surprise me with how it plays out.

Yeah, I'm not sure how that all figures because I guess he also has an option, so maybe not quite a lame duck, but still at least a bit of one. Thats also a good point about him waiting, given that is exactly what he did last time, especially if he really likes Barry Trotz or something.

I also wonder if he'd want to hold out for a year and possibly take a run at Q, but that might be a bit rich for this organization.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
They won't fire RC. He'll either be promoted or they'll let him play out his last year. It's a sick feeling, but exactly what I'm expecting.

I think most of us are OK with calling it a promotion, just as long as he isn't behind the bench.

Kinda reminds me of an old expression...If you're being run out of town, get out in front and make it look like a parade.

Reactions: Duck Off

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
BM did exceptional job at times, and exceptionally poor job at times. It's time for a new voice. The window is walled in, time for someone else to lead the pack.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
BM did exceptional job at times, and exceptionally poor job at times. It's time for a new voice. The window is walled in, time for someone else to lead the pack.

I think the issue is that BM is an old school and loyal guy - that loyalty is sometimes good and sometimes bad. It leads to overvaluing veterans and "your own guys" and hiring a coach like RC. The Cogliano extension was a great example - tremendous character guy but that is not the kind of contract the ducks should be signing on a team with offensive scoring issues, with a retool/rebuild in order and cap issues.

More importantly, BM's approach means he's probably not the right guy for a rebuild or retool. I could be wrong - we'll find out this offseason.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I think the issue is that BM is an old school and loyal guy - that loyalty is sometimes good and sometimes bad. It leads to overvaluing veterans and "your own guys" and hiring a coach like RC. The Cogliano extension was a great example - tremendous character guy but that is not the kind of contract the ducks should be signing on a team with offensive scoring issues, with a retool/rebuild in order and cap issues.

More importantly, BM's approach means he's probably not the right guy for a rebuild or retool. I could be wrong - we'll find out this offseason.
Not sure why you're pointing out Cogliano's extension as a bad thing, 3.25m for a guy who brings it every night, plays heavy PK minutes and is good for 35ish points a season is great value. His contract is going to look far better then whatever Silf's extension / UFA contract ends up being.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

3.25 for 3 more years for what Cogs bring is fine value wise. Do people realize you do have to actually pay all your players and can't just have a team full of ELC contracts and large albatross contracts? It's giving those kind of contracts to older, injure prone players who are having career seasons at 32 years old. (yes, I'm referencing the Eaves extension, it was a bad move at the time and still a bad move).

Reactions: AngelDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad