Player Discussion Dion Phaneuf

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
I already said it, but the reason his post wasn't meaning full is because of what he was directly responding to. It's all well and good that he only posted facts, but those facts added nothing because of what he was responding to.

Again; Bonk says, "hey, under the more beneficial circumstances Phaneuf will have on Ottawa vs Toronto, I think he can outperform past results", to which 417 replies with stats with an implied implication of "but his past results suggest he hasn't outproduced past results very often!"

Now, if you think that's meaningful or adding to the conversation, that's great. I strive for higher standards myself.

If he wanted to add to the conversation while coming from the belief that 40+ pts is unattainable for Phaneuf, he could have suggested that behind Karlsson, Phaneuf isn't likely to get the PP time he did in Toronto, or that he might not get as much time with the top lines. Or maybe he might have suggested that Ottawa is only more potent offensively than Toronto because of Karlsson, and Phaneuf is unlikely to benefit from that because he won't be paired with Karlsson, and even if/when he is, he'll be relied on far less offensively than he would have in Toronto. It's not hard to find reasons for being pessimistic that actually add to the conversation, but if your a fan of another team coming to a rival board, you should probably expect a bit of hostility when you come over with no relevant substance behind your post.
Yes, it's the facts that people had a problem with, none of the stuff I mentioned or the fact that bringing up past results really doesn't bring all that much value to the conversation when responding the premise was that under new and better circumstances exceeding past results by a small margin is attainable, particularly when those facts are used as some sort of misguided attempt to prove that a marginal improvement over previous results is unattainable, or at the very least unlikely.

Honestly, you'd think Bonk suggested Phaneuf would hit 20 goals again (sorry guy who made that thread, that was nuts) or that he'd hit a career high or anything.

I don't really care to be honest. You've taken this discussion on a different tangent that I have no desire to be in all because a Habs fan posted some stats about Phaneuf's scoring :laugh:

If you want to discuss Phanuef's deployment in Ottawa vs Toronto and reasonable expectations I'm open to that because I think that 30 points is reasonable for him in his new found role here IE: being sturdy defensively for Ceci.

But, that's just my opinion man.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The fact I'm a Habs fan, doesn't make him incapable of forming an opinion on things not related to the Habs....I live in Ottawa and have all my life, so I do follow the Sens and visit/read this board quite often.

Also, if you're going to use 'pace'...than it could be applied to a lot of cases. But 'pace' means what it means, in other words, not very much.

Yeah sorry about the Habs fan comment, it's just that I have been hanging a bit on the main board (polls and trade/rumor talk) this summer. Habs fans are funny sometimes :naughty:

When a player doesn't play 82 games, yes we should really use the word pace. Well, I do

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
30 point top four defenceman that can play special teams, providing grit, tenacity, and heart.

What's not too like?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't really care to be honest. You've taken this discussion on a different tangent that I have no desire to be in all because a Habs fan posted some stats about Phaneuf's scoring :laugh:

If you want to discuss Phanuef's deployment in Ottawa vs Toronto and reasonable expectations I'm open to that because I think that 30 points is reasonable for him in his new found role here IE: being sturdy defensively for Ceci.

But, that's just my opinion man.

I have no problems with a 30 pts projection. I do think using Phaneuf purely as a sturdy defensive foil to Ceci's offense would be a colossal failure by Boucher because frankly Phaneuf has far more to bring than that, and if anything, he strength leans towards his offensive play.

I expect him to land between 30 and 40 pts. He'll likely play the point with Karlsson on the 1st PP unit. He'll be a mainstay on the PK, and get about 16-18 mins at ES per game of evenly distributed deployment, logging about 21-23 mins a game total.

He should bring some nasty to the lineup too, and make life tough in front of our net.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't like him there at all.

Would much rather play Hoffman in that spot and save Phaneuf for the last 30-40 seconds on the second unit.

I'm not really a fan of Hoffman on the point. Get him closer to the net more often so he can snipe more. Besides, Phaneuf still has a bomb from the point, and can move the puck very well. Bringing Hoffman down lower forces the opposition to cover more distance when changing their focus from Karlsson to Hoffman (the two likely focal points of the PP).

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't like him there at all.

Would much rather play Hoffman in that spot and save Phaneuf for the last 30-40 seconds on the second unit.

That's likely how it plays out, in my mind at least. Boucher used him there exclusively in Drummondville.

I'd expect Karlsson-Hoffman on the point, Brassard left half wall/slot, Ryan right half wall/slot, and Stone down low.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I'm not really a fan of Hoffman on the point. Get him closer to the net more often so he can snipe more. Besides, Phaneuf still has a bomb from the point, and can move the puck very well. Bringing Hoffman down lower forces the opposition to cover more distance when changing their focus from Karlsson to Hoffman (the two likely focal points of the PP).

I haven't seen much of that in recent years. I trust Boucher knows the best usage out of Hoffman, so it will be interesting to see where Hoffman is positioned on the PP. Karlsson and Hoffman are the PP catalysts.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Yeah sorry about the Habs fan comment, it's just that I have been hanging a bit on the main board (polls and trade/rumor talk) this summer. Habs fans are funny sometimes :naughty:

When a player doesn't play 82 games, yes we should really use the word pace. Well, I do

I was going to say something about that :laugh:. I wondered how much of that recent (current?) Sens-Habs kerfuffle on the main board was playing into this thread.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere

Every time I see Hoffman on the point I always feel like he's going to give it up and the other team is going to go on a break the other way. He's a shooter, not a distributer of the puck so they should be putting him in positions where he can just blast it once the puck comes to him

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Every time I see Hoffman on the point I always feel like he's going to give it up and the other team is going to go on a break the other way. He's a shooter, not a distributer of the puck so they should be putting him in positions where he can just blast it once the puck comes to him

Such as the point?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I was going to say something about that :laugh:. I wondered how much of that recent (current?) Sens-Habs kerfuffle on the main board was playing into this thread.

haha yeah my post in the actual thread was exactly during my participation in that Sens-Habs thread... a lot of fun, and a lot of crow preparation :naughty:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
While I was doing some analysis on Dion Phaneuf, look at what I discovered

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=124814231&postcount=19

Ya the Phaneuf contract is pretty gnarly. Can't believe I missed it before

For the Leafs?

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/dion-phaneuf

Phaneuf cost the Leafs over 25 millions for NOT EVEN 2 years :laugh:

(8 + (3/4 x 8) + 11.7 + (1/4 x (3.7 + 2.75 + 4)) = 8 + 6 + 11.7 + 2.6125 = 28.3125

In comparison, Phaneuf will cost just over 23 millions to Ottawa for 5.25 years!

(7.5 + 7 + 6.5 + 6.5 + 5.5 + (1/4 x 8) - 11.7 = 23.3

NOTE : I am talking about real money here, not cap hit

"Information is the Real Power"

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=124756065&postcount=37

wow the more I dig about this deal, the more I realize how astute it was financially for Ottawa

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
After a slow start... this guy has been absolutely rock solid for us in every way.

Absolutely love his game, the leadership he is providing and the mean streak are invaluable. Against Pitts, he attacked Crosby early when he seemed hot and he went quiet rest of the game. He also had battles with Malkin all night.

He is making very clutch and steady defensive plays while letting everyone know of his presence and did so against tonight that lead to Pageau's empty netter.

He is playing exactly what we wished to see when we traded for him.

6 points in last 8 games +2 and averaging 23 mins. in 4 of those games he played over 25 mins.

He's the perfect, rugged and imposing number 3 defender to have behind the pure-skilled and dazzling EK

Ceci actually has been the much lesser player

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Can we do :

Phaneuf-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Englund/Claesson-Wideman
Borowiecki

I think Methot's skating which is excellent, would actually help Ceci to play "his game"

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Can we do :

Phaneuf-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Englund/Claesson-Wideman
Borowiecki

I think Methot's skating which is excellent, would actually help Ceci to play "his game"

Worth a shot, especially since Karlsson and Phaneuf have been playing together more the past few games, and are playing better as a result.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
Dion simply just brings % 100 every night and is noticeably great at getting other teams top forwards off their game

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I love the way Phaneuf plays, he makes life miserable for opposition players which is something I have thought the Sens need a lot more of. GB doesn't seem to trust any young players since he barely plays Englund or Robinson even though they seem to play well when they get an opportunity. We could see both of them & maybe even Lazar back to Bingo when they get a full healthy roster again.

I would like to see this D corps at some point.

Methot - Karlsson
Englund - Phaneuf
Boroweicki - Ceci/Wideman

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I love the high point shots he sends to the net on half slappers or snappers that handcuff goalies and create juicy rebounds. Really nice.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
With 8 goals already, Pha9 is on pace for his best offensive output (in goals) since 2012-13. :handclap:

A bonafide top 4 dman, and our only dman other than Karlsson who can chip in 30+ points. (sadly Ceci didn't take that step forward this season). A nasty mother****er with lots of grit and leadership, and he might match Stone in epic goal celis.

Beautiful trade by Murray on this one.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's definitely picking it up recently, and it's great to see. We're starting to get to the time of year when veterans like Phaneuf show their value. He's hardly the first veteran player to maybe look a little "meh" in the first part of the season, then start rounding into form once the home stretch is in sight. Can you imagine the canyon sized hole on our blueline that would exist without him right now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad